Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Maule Braking - visual accuracy

When braking the Maule during a landing the nose does not "dip" as with other tail draggers. Is this a correct action or is it just not real? Sure does save propellers.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest napamule

You would have to study the cfg and air files. The toe brake scale is= 0.38, and in the air file the brake scale=0. The gear has 0 drag. That, plus the pitch damper being=8000 (which is 2x the usual vaule). The result is that essentially you have a 'FEATHER', and you know how much momemtum a feather would have. Nil. A marvelous manipulation of the dynamics. But fly it in turbulence and you will see what it does in any amount of wind. This is the trade off?. And all this just so you don't do a nose dip and break (brake) prop on landing/braking. Cute. But functional. Real? Probably not. You could increase toe brake to 1.5 in cfg and brake strength to -32767 in air and find out what that does. (Then put it all back like it was?).Chuck BNapamule

What makes you think it should dip? Wheels long way forward, reasonable CG (not too far aft) so the pitching moment is minimal. And it has a simple sprung steel undercarriage. So why do you think it SHOULD dip?

When braking the Maule during a landing the nose does not "dip" as with other tail draggers. Is this a correct action or is it just not real? Sure does save propellers.
A video speaks more than a 1000 words!Landing in 100':
Taking off in 28'

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest napamule

Blake,(Or should it be spelled 'Brake'?). If I spelled it 'right' you wouldn't get the joke. (Wait, you didn't get it anyway-ha). So here go: 'My Car, Ma, Ran over my Dog, Ma'.And a note those videos: Maule is 'highly modified', and info on plane is at 'BentPropProductions' dot Com. Unbelievable performance.Chuck BNapamule

What makes you think it should dip? Wheels long way forward, reasonable CG (not too far aft) so the pitching moment is minimal. And it has a simple sprung steel undercarriage. So why do you think it SHOULD dip?
Because I am ignorant.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Blake,(Or should it be spelled 'Brake'?). If I spelled it 'right' you wouldn't get the joke. (Wait, you didn't get it anyway-ha). So here go: 'My Car, Ma, Ran over my Dog, Ma'.And a note those videos: Maule is 'highly modified', and info on plane is at 'BentPropProductions' dot Com. Unbelievable performance.Chuck BNapamule
..as in an amusing rip on karma:Part of Speech: nounDefinition: destinySynonyms: atmosphere, aura, fate, feeling, kismet, power, vibrations and: dogmaPart of Speech: nounDefinition: belief, principleSynonyms: article, article of faith, canon, conviction, credenda, credo, creed, doctrine, gospel, opinion, persuasion, precept, rule, teachings, tenet, view ..... Sorry for your loss, Chuck.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest napamule

No loss. All gain. No pain no gain. The pain in the .... (oh, never mind). My car's name is 'MA' and my dog's name is 'MA'. When my Dad said 'your MA is calling you'. I would always ask... 'The car or the dog?'. (hehe).Chuck BNapamule