Sign in to follow this  
KevinMM

I can't get the engines started

Hello I can't get the engine starter to come on. I've watched two tutorials on youtube and don't think I've missed a step.Can someone be my FO and double check my overhead and see what's wrong.Thank you.Kevin M. Manley

Continuous ignition? It's been a while but as long as you have bleed air from the APU everything should be working.

Rob Prest

Hello I can't get the engine starter to come on. I've watched two tutorials on youtube and don't think I've missed a step.Can someone be my FO and double check my overhead and see what's wrong.Thank you.Kevin M. Manley
Did you open your Fuel Control Switch, (left one)??...see Throttle consolAlso, it

Did you open your Fuel Control Switches??...see Throttle consolAlso, it

Rob Prest

It's been nearly a year since I've used the 744 but I'm pretty sure you just pull the start switch and it lights up, you add fuel after.EDIT Maybe I'm thinking about AUTOSTART OFF
Ahh...I can see now he haven

Guest hangar744

Seems like you're trying to start the engine with the help of the autostart system. In this case the fuel control switch should go in the RUN position first, then pull the start switch. For the rest...your overhead is correctly set for an engine start.However at least your beacon should be on at this point...just to maintain the good relationship with some guys down there (and of course with your boss). regards,delcom

The Gasper switch has nothing to do with the engine start. Only effects conditioned air.Boaz.
I know....would just point out what more he hadn

Some additional notes from me too.The Trim air, Upper and LowerRecirc, Aft Cargo (optional) and Gasper must be set to on. In addition at least one Pack should be ON (it provides air to the passengers).The Hydraulic Demand Pump #4 should be to Aux (in order not to provide hydraulic pressure to the nose wheel that must be free for pushback).The OVRD Pumps 2 & 3 must be on to provide additional fuel pressure for the engines and x-feed valves should be to on in order not to end up with an non-balanced aircraft. CTR L&R tank pumps should also be ON if there is fule in this tank as well.Finally, the IRS seems to be left to Aling while at this point of the checklist it should have already been turned to NAV (if you followed the checklist then the IRSs would have normally be ready for NAV mode).There are a couple of tutorials that are very good. In addition you should try to follow the checklists provided in the manual. They're very useful and quite easy to follow. It might sound boring, but startup is one of the most interesting parts of the simulation and enhances realism, which is probably the main reason that people purchase PMDG (and other) add-ons, as for simple fly around simming the default airplanes are good enough.

Guest hangar744
Some additional notes from me too.The Trim air, Upper and LowerRecirc, Aft Cargo (optional) and Gasper must be set to on. In addition at least one Pack should be ON (it provides air to the passengers).The Hydraulic Demand Pump #4 should be to Aux (in order not to provide hydraulic pressure to the nose wheel that must be free for pushback).The OVRD Pumps 2 & 3 must be on to provide additional fuel pressure for the engines and x-feed valves should be to on in order not to end up with an non-balanced aircraft. CTR L&R tank pumps should also be ON if there is fule in this tank as well.Finally, the IRS seems to be left to Aling while at this point of the checklist it should have already been turned to NAV (if you followed the checklist then the IRSs would have normally be ready for NAV mode).There are a couple of tutorials that are very good. In addition you should try to follow the checklists provided in the manual. They're very useful and quite easy to follow. It might sound boring, but startup is one of the most interesting parts of the simulation and enhances realism, which is probably the main reason that people purchase PMDG (and other) add-ons, as for simple fly around simming the default airplanes are good enough.
I'll get back to you on these "additional notes" in the morning. It's almost 03:00 CET...I'm off to bed. But I'm sure you're going to be seriously corrected by someone else even before I wake up. (Or maybe I'll just stay quite).good night,delcom

Guest hangar744
Some additional notes from me too.The Hydraulic Demand Pump #4 should be to Aux (in order not to provide hydraulic pressure to the nose wheel that must be free for pushback).
??????????????????This one really got me wonder for a while.sorry,delcom

I'll get back to you on these "additional notes" in the morning. It's almost 03:00 CET...I'm off to bed. But I'm sure you're going to be seriously corrected by someone else even before I wake up. (Or maybe I'll just stay quite).good night,delcom
Please feel free to correct what you feel is wrong. We're here to learn anyway, so any feedback is welcome!Am not a real pilot or in any professional manner connected to airplanes (except as a passenger on business trips :( ). My knowledge comes from tutorials and the manual, so there are probably loads of things that I don't know (or know in the wrong way), so I'd really like feedback from individuals with deeper knowledge who are willing to share it with the rest of us!

Please feel free to correct what you feel is wrong. We're here to learn anyway, so any feedback is welcome!Am not a real pilot or in any professional manner connected to airplanes (except as a passenger on business trips :( ). My knowledge comes from tutorials and the manual, so there are probably loads of things that I don't know (or know in the wrong way), so I'd really like feedback from individuals with deeper knowledge who are willing to share it with the rest of us!
HYD SYS 4 is turned to AUX during engine start to provide pressure to the main brake system.

Rob Prest

In addition at least one Pack should be ON (it provides air to the passengers).
I'm pretty sure the passengers won't die if all the packs are switched off (on the ground) ;-) Engine start only takes a few minutes... not really long enough for the cabin temperatures to change.There may be a requirement to run one pack during engine start due to pressure shock (going from almost no air usage to 50psi during engine start can be hard on the bleed system) However, many aircraft have been modified to allow you to start without any packs without getting excessive pressure shock.
Seems like you're trying to start the engine with the help of the autostart system. In this case the fuel control switch should go in the RUN position first, then pull the start switch.
Yet another variation in crew procedures. We pull the start switch first (manual or autostart). No, system logic-wise, it doesn't matter which you do first during Autostart, but I'd be interested to know why Delcom's airline puts fuel on first : )
The Hydraulic Demand Pump #4 should be to Aux (in order not to provide hydraulic pressure to the nose wheel that must be free for pushback).
It would be very remiss of the engineer not to put a steering bypass pin in the hole provided, when pushing back/towing an aircraft. Nosewheel steering comes from hydraulics sys #1Cheers.Q>