Sign in to follow this  
Guest LewisAire

Thanks From LewisAire

Guest LewisAire

Roman, Fr. Bill, and Enjell:I just wanted to take a moment to express once again my sincere thanks for your help. Those gauges are working very well, and I could not have accomplished without you guys. My schedule doesn't leave a whole lot of time for forums, but I don't feel right about showing up only when I need something. So I'll try to be a little more visible around here when possible, and offer whatever help I can. The only issue (as we all know) is that you guys are extremely sharp with XML, and I'm extremely not...I dread the possibility of giving someone bad information. If you (or anyone reading this) are doing "vehicle" panels, I've got quite a few cutesy features...yours for the asking.Take care, and thanks again,Garry

You are most welcome. It is my pleasure to help others whenever possible. Sometimes, I even succeed without appearing too foolish in the process! :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest FelixFFDS

Garry, Garry, how can you even hope to become "a expert" if you don't give bad information from time to time?Seriously though, never understimate your power to give someone else a nudge in the learning experience. Sometimes that takes form as an actual tip, or hint, and (s[eaking generically) other times, it's in asking a seemingly "dumb" question.

...I dread the possibility of giving someone bad information. Take care, and thanks again,Garry

Guest LewisAire

Good morning Fr. Bill and Felix:Fr. Bill: You're a character! :( But I strongly suspect not a foolish character. Felix: You're right, I know. I suppose that whatever experience we do have can be helpful to the guy who has less. Me, I keep hoping I'll be the first to see a post some day that asks, "How come this code doesn't work? <Value>IF the airspeed is greater than 200 THEN sound the alarm</Visible>" Oh man, he's mine...I'll answer this guy quick as you can blink! But I suspect it'll be a long wait...most of the questions on this forum are WAY over my head, and the answers are so far up there I'd need a telescope to see 'em!No, I'm simply not qualified to answer some of the heavy stuff. BUT...I've taken a great deal from this arena, and I'd like to contribute in a way that I can. So I wonder: I started LewisAire about 5-6 years ago. By whatever methods and means, we do have an impressive array of standard and unique XML gauges. I design strictly for the airline, so most everything is custom...which is why uploading everything for general download would probably be a long-term mess I'd rather avoid. But I've been thinking about this: Suppose I was to go through everything and create an "inventory" of things I think others might be able to hack at and use for their own purpose. Nothing fancy: Just the gauge name, author-credits if I know them, a brief description of what it does and/or if it's associated with something else, and maybe a small picture of the gauge (if it's a visible gauge). Somebody sees an item they could use...they request it and I send it. Do you have any thoughts or recommendations on this idea? Fr. Bill, Roman, Engjell, whoever...any thoughts or suggestions? I know even less about forums than I do about complex XML, so I ask: Is there some way or some place on here to make it visible and available? I'd only consider doing it here, because this forum is pointedly for panels & gauges & code. I'd like to hear some kickback on this. It would be quite a task, but it would be worth it (and rewarding) if you guys think it would get used. Garry