Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

Huge MD-11 manual: people's solutions?

How often do real planes have failures anyways? I dont want to have more failures than real planes have.
Why not? It's a simulator after all, and simulators are here to learn... If you say you want to have it as real as it gets I would say, using the software the same way as the Level-D simulators is also as real as it gets...If you use failures it doesn't mean you have to use them on EVERY flight...Markus

Markus Burkhard

How often do real planes have failures anyways? I dont want to have more failures than real planes have.
John,I asked this question awhile back (I forget if it was the MD-11 or the 747) and was told that the "real" failure rate is actually really low, like 1 in 100 hours or something like that. When I use them, I REALLY use them. I'll make a shortish flight, like 2 to 3 hours and crank it up to 10 failure per 10 hours or something like that. But on longer flights, where I'm more likey to go do something else for a few hours rather than stare at a screen, I turn them off completely so that the engine doesn't catch on fire while I'm watching football or somethhing.

How often do real planes have failures anyways?
Very rarely. I know Delta 767 pilot who never had a failure in his whole flying career. By failure I don't mean a burned out bulbor some inop piece of equipment that have substitutes but something that would force a pilot to switch to troubleshooting and/or emergency mode. But in a simulator training - failures are the norm to prepare the pilot for the worst.

I've read that most airline pilots will not have an engine failure in their career. Thank goodness for simulators where these situations can be studied and experienced. My first ride in a simulator was an AF C-141 where the simulated cargo fire filed the cockpit with real smoke. That was a surprise. Speaking of engines, pilots flying piston twins will have failures. I've flown two engine-out fllights in the past four years. Gee, it is almost routine.

Dan Downs KCRP

I've read that most airline pilots will not have an engine failure in their career. Thank goodness for simulators where these situations can be studied and experienced. My first ride in a simulator was an AF C-141 where the simulated cargo fire filed the cockpit with real smoke. That was a surprise. Speaking of engines, pilots flying piston twins will have failures. I've flown two engine-out fllights in the past four years. Gee, it is almost routine.
What is it they say about the difference between piston single and piston twin? A piston single pilot flies happily until his engine fails and then he crashes and a piston twin flies happily until one of his engines fail and then he crashes. Sadly, this is truer than it needs to be. Glad to hear you've survived a couple. Little ole me, I've only survived a complete electrical failure - at night.

My electrical failure was daytime but IMC right after takeoff in an Arrow. That was interesting.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest CX355

I wish I could install them on the kneeboard, then I could read as I fly w/out the expense of printing. Vincent :(

I wish I could install them on the kneeboard, then I could read as I fly w/out the expense of printing. Vincent :(
You can actually. There are a couple programs that will do it. Widgets and another I can't remember the name of. I use FS Widgets, tiz very cool, just not able to run in full screen mode if you use FSX.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Guest CX355
You can actually. There are a couple programs that will do it. Widgets and another I can't remember the name of. I use FS Widgets, tiz very cool, just not able to run in full screen mode if you use FSX.
Hey Thanks, I'll look into that.....I could think of alot of things I would put in and out so I could save on paper and space.

Guest CX355
Hey Dan, Thanks for the tip on FSWidgets EFB....got it tonight and love what I see so far...highly recommend it...spent time loading charts and manuals that I can read and this will save me big time on printing in the future.......Vincent