Sign in to follow this  
Guest fourthtime

Never seen this before

Guest fourthtime

Hello all, I have been getting shutdowns while playing fs2004 and the problem is linked to the users file. I decided to investigate by looking at the files (big mistake) I played around with the files because they were locked and I unlocked them but I must have done something wrong because all my folders on the desktop disappeared. I did a system restore thinking I could erase what I had done. The system restore worked but when I click the fs2004 shortcut on the desktop I get this message: access denied error:createfile (c:\users\cj\appdata\local\temp\~esd141t... I can't load up the game and the folders are now ghosted on the desktop. What did I do wrong and does anyone know how to fix it? I have a windows 7 computer and that is part of the problem, there are so many things that are different from windows xp and it's very easy to screw things up. I hope I don't have to reinstall the whole game and my 500 add ons. I would really appreciate any help from you guys and hopefully this is not a huge problem.

That file is a function of FS9 copy protection. Be sure FS has a shortcut for it with properties set to run as admin and you are running as admin. The file is recreated or whatever when FS CD 4 is in the machine and accessed for verification, therefore FS must have admin privileges to access user files in the temp area.I don't have Vista or Win7 but it looks like that is your problem.

Guest fourthtime

I'm not sure if that's it because I click on the shortcut and say run as administrator but it still gives me an access denied message. I must have messed up something with the sharing and folder something or other. I'm not the biggest fan of Windows 7, It's a minefield in there!

That file is a function of FS9 copy protection. Be sure FS has a shortcut for it with properties set to run as admin and you are running as admin. The file is recreated or whatever when FS CD 4 is in the machine and accessed for verification, therefore FS must have admin privileges to access user files in the temp area.I don't have Vista or Win7 but it looks like that is your problem.

Guest fourthtime

I already tried to do that. Is it easy to put disk 1 in the computer and select modify. I think I messed up something in the user settings or sharing or permission or attributes. There is so much for me to mess up!

Disable the User Account Controls.

Guest fourthtime

It's mostly add on sceneries but I have all the world of ai planes. I tried running as administrator but I still keep getting the error message. I really don't want to reinstall all the planes. I really did something dumb.

It's mostly add on sceneries but I have all the world of ai planes. I tried running as administrator but I still keep getting the error message. I really don't want to reinstall all the planes. I really did something dumb.
I cannot help you but I offer my shared sympathies. This "security" in Windows 7 is a real pain and for me really difficult to understand. I am having my own problems and have been struggling with what should be (and was in XP) a simple install.Bill

I cannot help you but I offer my shared sympathies. This "security" in Windows 7 is a real pain and for me really difficult to understand. I am having my own problems and have been struggling with what should be (and was in XP) a simple install.Bill
Simple rules for Win7 and FS9:Turn UAC offMake sure your username has Administrator privilegesInstall FS9 and all addons outside of the default 'Program Files' or 'Program Files(x86)' directoriesInstall everything you use as AdministratorRun as AdministratorIt works.DJ

Guest fourthtime

I did all of that already except for installing everything outside of the program files. I think it's too late for that but what should I do if all that username info is correct. Do I need to reinstall completely or just use the disk 1 modify instead of reinstall. As long as the modify works then I won't touch anything again and just enjoy the game and maybe live with the crashes. Thanks

Simple rules for Win7 and FS9:Turn UAC offMake sure your username has Administrator privilegesInstall FS9 and all addons outside of the default 'Program Files' or 'Program Files(x86)' directoriesInstall everything you use as AdministratorRun as AdministratorIt works.DJ

Im running windows 7 and have not problems at all, even with a fs instal in program files x86.I know it doesnt help you but i can confirm that fs9 works great on my windows 7.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Sounds like some of the important files are Hidden (Ghost look). You can usually fix this on the Properties page of the file, by un-checking "Hidden".KJ

Guest fourthtime

Yes fs2004 does work good on windows 7. I was enjoying it very much but when I got a shutdown there was a list of files that I could look at to see if I could fix the problem. I went into some folders specifically the users file and tried to look around. I must have done something wrong there, so I tried to do a system restore and after that I tried to click on my shortcut and I got the access denied message. Should I take out disk 4 and then do a system restore again, I mean maybe that was the problem if the disk was in the drive. I am an administrator and the shortcut is also run as administrator, everything looks right but then I get the access denied and that long file name. I can't believe I tried to fix something I had no business fixing but it thought maybe it would work. I learned my lesson not to tinker around but even system restore didn't fix it. I sympathize with any one going through the same thing.

Guest fourthtime

Now I can't even modify fs2004. I put in disk 1 and I don't have the modify option, only run or uninstall. Even if I select run I am still getting the error message access denied. I have tried doing restores and load previous versions but still nothing. I am running out of patience. All my files and add ons are still listed but can't I access the game. I have even tried putting an extra disk 4 that I had and it still doesn't work. Is there a phone number for microsoft games that I can call because I haven't found one using their site. Thanks guys.

Yes fs2004 does work good on windows 7. I was enjoying it very much but when I got a shutdown there was a list of files that I could look at to see if I could fix the problem. I went into some folders specifically the users file and tried to look around. I must have done something wrong there, so I tried to do a system restore and after that I tried to click on my shortcut and I got the access denied message. Should I take out disk 4 and then do a system restore again, I mean maybe that was the problem if the disk was in the drive. I am an administrator and the shortcut is also run as administrator, everything looks right but then I get the access denied and that long file name. I can't believe I tried to fix something I had no business fixing but it thought maybe it would work. I learned my lesson not to tinker around but even system restore didn't fix it. I sympathize with any one going through the same thing.