Sign in to follow this  
Guest mushally

PMDG and TOPCAT

Guest mushally

Hi allCan I just clarify that it is ok for TOPCAT to alter the PMDG 747 aircraft.cfg and it does transfer the payload and fuel details.I just want to be sure after the reading the search results on this matter.Thanks, Allan Thomson :(

Hi allCan I just clarify that it is ok for TOPCAT to alter the PMDG 747 aircraft.cfg and it does transfer the payload and fuel details.I just want to be sure after the reading the search results on this matter.Thanks, Allan Thomson :(
I don't believe PMDG has blessed anything, so your proceeding at your own risk from a support perspective. That being said I believe there are many here that have had success using TOPCAT. FYI: This probably belongs in the 744 forum.

Hi AllanAlthough I only got that 747-400 yesterday I have made a few flights in her using TopCat without any problems, I have also been using TopCat with the MD-11 ever since the included it in the database, again without any ill effects, but as the George pointed out PMDG would understandably not offer support for this or any modifications to the 747.And yes it does fuel the aircraft and adjust the loadout.You could always backup the aircraft.cfg file in it

Guest mushally

Thanks for your replies Jim & George. I have tried it and all seems to be ok. I did not want to give myself more problems so better to ask than be sorry :( Thanks

I use Topcat for the PMDG B747 and MD-11 on FS9 without any problems at all. Just remember that it does not set your fuel, you must do this manually - maybe this is different for FSX?

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I don't believe PMDG has blessed anything, so your proceeding at your own risk from a support perspective. That being said I believe there are many here that have had success using TOPCAT. FYI: This probably belongs in the 744 forum.
I have purchased TOPCAT, but for some reason the EPR settings for the RR/PW engined models are incorrect. I have to edit the assumed temperature in the FMC to another value in order to select the recommended EPR setting calculated by TOPCAT.Anyone else had this problem?Boaz.

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest mushally
I use Topcat for the PMDG B747 and MD-11 on FS9 without any problems at all. Just remember that it does not set your fuel, you must do this manually - maybe this is different for FSX?
Hi Gavin. I use FSX with Vista and TOPCAT on a 2nd pc with XP and it does set the fuel too. I have also found that you should save the TOPCAT file with the FS off to save restarting PMDG as this might cause other problems :( I take it you use FS9?

Guest mushally
I have purchased TOPCAT, but for some reason the EPR settings for the RR/PW engined models are incorrect. I have to edit the assumed temperature in the FMC to another value in order to select the recommended EPR setting calculated by TOPCAT.Anyone else had this problem?Boaz.
Hi Boaz. I'm no expert but I've read on the TOPCAT forum that they used the actual 747 figures that may differ from PMDG. I think TOPCAT recommend going with PMDG figures to be safe but as I have found so far, TOPCAT is very close.Maybe someone with better knowledge could comment.

Hi Gavin. I use FSX with Vista and TOPCAT on a 2nd pc with XP and it does set the fuel too. I have also found that you should save the TOPCAT file with the FS off to save restarting PMDG as this might cause other problems :( I take it you use FS9?
Hi AllanYeah I'm an FS9er. Must be a difference between FS9 and FSX then. Topcat always pops up and tells me to be sure to set the fuel manually after starting FS9 - which is no real hassle. Of course, I may be doing something wrong.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest CX355
True, however they do seem to give their "blessing" in a round about way in the Tutorial Flight 2 (MD-11) 4.1 Recommended Add-on Software, Take-off and Landing Data, (PMDG does not state in anyway not to use the load tool in TopCat). I too asked this question and have since used TopCat in both the 747 and Md-11 w/ no ill effects as of yet. In fact I think at least w/ the MD-11, which I am flying most of the time, I am getting better acrft handling performance w/ the numbers provided by TC, my T/o and climb are much smoother. (FS9)As always and already mentioned, back up your files if you are unsure. Vincent