Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

FSX and W7 Ultimate

Just another observation from using W7 for flight sim'ing and general computing....Since switching over from Vista 64 bit Ultimate to W7 64 bit Ultimate, I have observed the following and have made adjustments to my system as follows:1. With using Vista, and using either FSUIPC or FSPassenger's menu, the screen would go black in full window mode. I could only recover with pressing ESC. With W7, this has gone away. Accessing ANY menus are working as they always did under XP Pro. No longer any need to go to windowed mode to see the menu. Good deal!2. The system is running resources much better and leaner than with having used Vista. Things get opened lightning fast. One benefit right away, is that I had my i7-975 running (overclocked to 4.1 GHz) to get a constant 30 FPS locked down by the FPS Limiter Software. I have found by much experiment, and pleasure...that I can now run my i7-975 CPU at the STOCK settings from Dell as I received it, and still maintain all the same performance I had, when having overclocked the snot out of it. :) This is no longer necessary to achieve a smooth 30 FPS in FSX and my locked 60 FPS in FS9.75. This was NOT POSSIBLE under Vista 64 bit. This is not in the realm of Placebo Effect. This is hard tack system-level observation.I'll let others keep their thoughts that there is no true upgrade-worth benefit to going from either XP 64 bit, or Vista 64 bit. I say there is one heck of a difference. W7 ultimate is what Microsoft wanted Vista to be from day one. This is their latest O.S. with modern features available. I have in a nutshell;1. Better performance, SYSTEM WIDE!2. Visuals as a result of running driver suite W7 195.62 and the latest nHancer has never been better, ever! I have also made sure that my monitor's color.icm file is still my Samsung B245 wide screen, and not W7's default that overrides your previous .icm file when first installed. This is important to do. Once you switch back to your manufacturer's .icm color temp file, it will stay there until you, not the O.S. changes anything.So, in retrospect, I have a much faster, more stable system. I have fabulous visuals, with trees and auto-gen rock solid with no jitter or blurriness. I have been able to drop my CPU from overclock, to the Dell standard settings, with the great benefit of system longevity back, and cool stock running temperatures. All this was NOT possible under my Vista 64 bit O.S. So...are there tangible results? A BLIND MAN would be able to see 'em.In closing, as a result of having compared Vista 64 bit Ultimate to my current W7 Ultimate, I absolutely endorse UPGRADING to the latest O.S. from Microsoft. It is a polished, fast, and rock-solid O.S. I endorse this O.S. wholeheartedly.Post Edit: I am in a flight using Tasmania-AU BLUE, and since having moved over to W7, FPS Lock Limiter Software (you know the one, lol) can hardly keep the FPS LOCKED at 30 fps where it is set. It keeps wanted to break out to the mid 40's. It will now stay TRYING to keep it at 30...but is working very hard to do that. It is like the FPS wants to soar on it's own. I like using the lock-down, in fact needed it under Vista, but perhaps with a little bit slow-as-I-go fooling around, I will finish with it entirely. All this now with my CPU at stock speed! Later.....Cheers!

SOM at it again...... :( Sorry Mitch, I couldn't resist.
Yah - he's doing it again! He rubbed my nose in it 'till I had to go and spend! Gee thanks, Mitch.. my wife loves you.. :( I hafta say, though - the i7 is the magic bullet. Most sliders are now max and the sim performs as (I guess) Microsoft intended. A spin from 10k with a Pitts will have you reaching for the bag. One thing I found, though: Drivers. I'm gettin' on in years, so I often run Call of Duty - Modern Warfare - you know - to keep the adrenaline flowing... - well going to the 195 driver pushes the 1280 x 1024 screen into the left monitor: it will no longer sit in the centre one. CoD's default is 1024 x 768, and it won't even start unless you have the right resolution set. I went back to 191.07 and she's fine again. Strange. Same with Stronghold 2.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I've heard of people having problems adding scenery to the scenery library under W7. Have you been able to do this?

Eric Szczesniak

My performance is just as good with Vista64. No need for me to spend $hundreds more for another OS.So Mitch, how many more of these testimonial threads on Uncle Bills Windows 7 Magic Potion and Elixir are you gonna start?RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I've heard of people having problems adding scenery to the scenery library under W7. Have you been able to do this?
I have read about that but there is a fix that can be found in the Windows 7 forum. I always add scenery manually to the scenery.cfg so I don't know what the problem is or what the fix is.UI do like the way my system runs in general and I am satisfied with my upgrade but it is hard for me to compare considering I went from a single core cpu on XP32 to my current system.I and some other people are having sound issues - exterior sounds bleeding in to the cockpit after cycling through views and sound levels for each wav file seem to be off from what the author intended. Other that that, things seems to be running well.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Just another observation from using W7 for flight sim'ing and general computing....Since switching over from Vista 64 bit Ultimate to W7 64 bit Ultimate, I have observed the following and have made adjustments to my system as follows:1. With using Vista, and using either FSUIPC or FSPassenger's menu, the screen would go black in full window mode. I could only recover with pressing ESC. With W7, this has gone away. Accessing ANY menus are working as they always did under XP Pro. No longer any need to go to windowed mode to see the menu. Good deal!2. The system is running resources much better and leaner than with having used Vista. Things get opened lightning fast. One benefit right away, is that I had my i7-975 running (overclocked to 4.1 GHz) to get a constant 30 FPS locked down by the FPS Limiter Software. I have found by much experiment, and pleasure...that I can now run my i7-975 CPU at the STOCK settings from Dell as I received it, and still maintain all the same performance I had, when having overclocked the snot out of it. :) This is no longer necessary to achieve a smooth 30 FPS in FSX and my locked 60 FPS in FS9.75. This was NOT POSSIBLE under Vista 64 bit. This is not in the realm of Placebo Effect. This is hard tack system-level observation.I'll let others keep their thoughts that there is no true upgrade-worth benefit to going from either XP 64 bit, or Vista 64 bit. I say there is one heck of a difference. W7 ultimate is what Microsoft wanted Vista to be from day one. This is their latest O.S. with modern features available. I have in a nutshell;1. Better performance, SYSTEM WIDE!2. Visuals as a result of running driver suite W7 195.62 and the latest nHancer has never been better, ever! I have also made sure that my monitor's color.icm file is still my Samsung B245 wide screen, and not W7's default that overrides your previous .icm file when first installed. This is important to do. Once you switch back to your manufacturer's .icm color temp file, it will stay there until you, not the O.S. changes anything.So, in retrospect, I have a much faster, more stable system. I have fabulous visuals, with trees and auto-gen rock solid with no jitter or blurriness. I have been able to drop my CPU from overclock, to the Dell standard settings, with the great benefit of system longevity back, and cool stock running temperatures. All this was NOT possible under my Vista 64 bit O.S. So...are there tangible results? A BLIND MAN would be able to see 'em.In closing, as a result of having compared Vista 64 bit Ultimate to my current W7 Ultimate, I absolutely endorse UPGRADING to the latest O.S. from Microsoft. It is a polished, fast, and rock-solid O.S. I endorse this O.S. wholeheartedly.Post Edit: I am in a flight using Tasmania-AU BLUE, and since having moved over to W7, FPS Lock Limiter Software (you know the one, lol) can hardly keep the FPS LOCKED at 30 fps where it is set. It keeps wanted to break out to the mid 40's. It will now stay TRYING to keep it at 30...but is working very hard to do that. It is like the FPS wants to soar on it's own. I like using the lock-down, in fact needed it under Vista, but perhaps with a little bit slow-as-I-go fooling around, I will finish with it entirely. All this now with my CPU at stock speed! Later.....Cheers!
Mitch, Have you tried NOT using the FPS Limiter & locking FSX at 30fps. Like you, I have the i7 950 Extreme with a 285 2G/OC card and W7 Home 64bit. I was using the Limiter as to me it was a magic bullet, now I find either no difference in smoothness/fps or an improvement without the Limiter.

I have W7 and I can add scenery... but there's a catch, I admit... when you want to add scenery, you click Add scenery in the scenery library and all that and at the end you click OK button but nothing happenes.. you have to click anywhere on this open window and it will close and add scenery... something like that.. I don't even understand what I just wrote :( I was in scenery.cfg in FS9 all the time, almost more than flying :( , since there was a "bug".. sometimes scenery was added, sometimes not... and if I wasn't paying attention to scenery.cfg, some scenery could disappear and stuff like that. Since FSX don't have this problem, I don't touch this file anymore.. and I'm happy with that.

Guest FSXBuster

I congratulate the OP about the improvement going from Old Vista to New Vista 7!You would have seen this effect a long time ago, just by shifting to Windows XP 64 bit IMO...

---------------------Oh really? I haven't tried since the transfer over. Will try loading 'something' for a test and report back to you.
My performance is just as good with Vista64. No need for me to spend $hundreds more for another OS.So Mitch, how many more of these testimonial threads on Uncle Bills Windows 7 Magic Potion and Elixir are you gonna start?RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
-----------------------------------------Actually, you're in for some relief, Bob. Nada, none, nyet... I pretty well said how I have found it out to be. If it had been a very bad, disappointing experience, I would have truthfully published that. Thankfully, that has not been the case. Like Geofa, it has cleared up a few PITA's from when having used Vista and FSX. :)
Mitch, Have you tried NOT using the FPS Limiter & locking FSX at 30fps. Like you, I have the i7 950 Extreme with a 285 2G/OC card and W7 Home 64bit. I was using the Limiter as to me it was a magic bullet, now I find either no difference in smoothness/fps or an improvement without the Limiter.
Ok....I'm still a babe-in-the-woods with W7. I'm still learning to navigate around the wee beastie, LOL. I'll fire up FSX without the limiter software and as you suggest, just limit inside FSX. As stated above, it seems now, like the i7-975 is getting PO'd with me...in using that. The 30 will SPIKE upto 40-44 FPS like it is fighting to 'get free', LOLOLOL! Hey...no complaints! :)Thanks, I'll try it.Cheers!Mitch
I congratulate the OP about the improvement going from Old Vista to New Vista 7!You would have seen this effect a long time ago, just by shifting to Windows XP 64 bit IMO...
------------------------------------------------------Very well could be, but can't verify as I had never used that version, only XP Pro 32 bit. :)

Guest abulaafia
nonsense. I have two PC of almost identical build to show that W7 is a much superior OS even for FSX. don't propagate the old myths without trying it yourself

-------------------------------------------------Am in a flight right now from Los Angeles to Phoenix Regional in a Stationair 6. I am running with just FSX limited to 30 fps...and it is controlling to the set figure. Much better in fact than with the Limiter Sofware in command. Must be a W7 'thang.... :)Back to the flight... Under AS 6.5, and REX2...it was a very foggy take off from 25R, but at 2,500 AGL, I broke out into a beautiful sunrise courtesy of REX2! (I have time of day set to DAWN).:)Mitch'er

I added some test scenery today. It acted as normal. If there had been a problem, perhaps it has been fixed with updates. FSX runs very stable.

I too have an I7 @ 4.1 (see sig). I have been flipping between Win7 64 Home premium and Vista64 Home Premium. I have similar perfromance on both systems although I will admit that Win7 seems slightly smoother. I think that if you had a big performance boost with Win7 then Vista had a setup/tuning problem. In both cases I do run FSX on a different spindle to the OS so FSX is identical when I swap the system partition from Vista to Win7. There have been a lot of reports from others on this board of no magical increase in performance with a Win7 upgrade.I have taken note of your tip with the monitor ICM file and hadn't thought of that, thanks for the heads up. :(

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.