Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

FSX and W7 Ultimate

Guest 413X3

can anyone with the PMDG MD-11 or 747X say whether the black screen and disappearing textures are fixed under W7 and the latest nvidia drivers? I'm about to downgrade to xp x64 from vista x64 because of this issue but would rather go up to w7 if it does work better

I too have an I7 @ 4.1 (see sig). I have been flipping between Win7 64 Home premium and Vista64 Home Premium. I have similar perfromance on both systems although I will admit that Win7 seems slightly smoother. I think that if you had a big performance boost with Win7 then Vista had a setup/tuning problem. In both cases I do run FSX on a different spindle to the OS so FSX is identical when I swap the system partition from Vista to Win7. There have been a lot of reports from others on this board of no magical increase in performance with a Win7 upgrade.I have taken note of your tip with the monitor ICM file and hadn't thought of that, thanks for the heads up. :(
------------------------------------------------------Yes, W7's install puts its own .ICM file where you previously had the manufacturer's. I don't think that I alluded to that there would be a magical increase..(smile) but rather that with the performance boost that W7 gives, I have been able to drop my i7 back to stock speeds and STILL maintain all of the benefits that I had; FPS/Smoothness while at max overclock. I was hoping that at some time I could do that, because I truly wanted this chip to stick around for a number of years as has the P4 3.4. At a cost of $1,000.00 dollars plus, this would be a good thing!!!! So, I'm most pleased that installing W7 Ultimate has allowed me to do this as an unexpected component of its performance envelope. :) As for Vista...I had truly done the 'tune'...and I guess there was nothing 'wrong' with it, other than it is slower and more of a resource hog than W7. If Vista can be seen as a 'runner'...W7 could be seen as a runner who has just limbered up for that morning run....with the 'runner' heading out the door... :)Cheers!Mitch

Guest FSXBuster

Wow!I thought you meant 1000 $ for your PC, but it's your CPU!Awesome I must say...Can you perhaps explain a little about this .ICM file - where is it and what to do?I have double-boot setup with XP64 and Win7 and would of course like too see FSX perform better on the W7 than XP, but it hasn't happened yet.Thanks.

Wow!I thought you meant 1000 $ for your PC, but it's your CPU!Awesome I must say...Can you perhaps explain a little about this .ICM file - where is it and what to do?I have double-boot setup with XP64 and Win7 and would of course like too see FSX perform better on the W7 than XP, but it hasn't happened yet.Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------Sure, here is the explanation, and then the pathway....The .icm file is a file that controls the monitor's 'temperature' component (how tint is set up), and therefore, in how RGB, the primary colors are sent to the screen. You will get the best color/graphic performance from you monitor if your manufacturer's .icm file is set to default, rather than W7's. But..if you would prefer to totally customize the appearance, then you would use W7's .icm file AFTER you have gone through the W7 color setup wizard.Go to Control Panel in W7. Go to Hardware and Sound. Go to Display. Once there, pick on the left upper side, Adjust Resolution. Pick the blue colored Advance settings. A MASK will open up with Color Management in the upper left tab. Press that. Then Press the Color Management tab in the upper third of the main mask. That will open up the .ICM screen for you to either keep W7's .icm file as the DEFAULT, or you highlight your manufacturer's .icm color management file and then create THAT as your default, of which I highly suggest you do. Then, press apply, and you are done. Get out of screen back to desktop.Mitch

Guest United

Enjoy your success, believe me, it is by no means universal. I moved from Win XP 32 bit to Win 7 64-bit (Home) through a perfect reformatted new 500 GIG hard drive and had nothing but problems with nasty random black screens that killed most every flight. Granted, I was using only a Core2 Quad on a Gigabyte mobo and not you i7 and an NVidia 8800 GTS; but I've encountered simmers with your hardware specs and my reports of fatal black screens. There is no pattern with all of this save luck. I did move back to Win XP 64 bit and that has wiped out 90% of my problems. No more black screen problems, just occasonal cream colored screens (so called, CSOD). Also, I seriously doubt that Win 7 64 bit has any performance advantage over Win XP 64. 64 bit is 64 bit, period. I am sure others will swear on "bibles" the miracle of Win 7 for FSX, sorry, but there is no substitude for luck in this manner, elsewise somebody could come forward with the perfect hardware solution we could all use. Sadly, that will never happen after Microsoft kicked us to the curb. Enjoy your set-up, I sure would! :)Randy Jura, KPDX.

Enjoy your success, believe me, it is by no means universal. I moved from Win XP 32 bit to Win 7 64-bit (Home) through a perfect reformatted new 500 GIG hard drive and had nothing but problems with nasty random black screens that killed most every flight. Granted, I was using only a Core2 Quad on a Gigabyte mobo and not you i7 and an NVidia 8800 GTS; but I've encountered simmers with your hardware specs and my reports of fatal black screens. There is no pattern with all of this save luck.I did move back to Win XP 64 bit and that has wiped out 90% of my problems. No more black screen problems, just occasonal cream colored screens (so called, CSOD). Also, I seriously doubt that Win 7 64 bit has any performance advantage over Win XP 64. 64 bit is 64 bit, period. I am sure others will swear on "bibles" the miracle of Win 7 for FSX, sorry, but there is no substitude for luck in this manner, elsewise somebody could come forward with the perfect hardware solution we could all use. Sadly, that will never happen after Microsoft kicked us to the curb. Enjoy your set-up, I sure would! :)Randy Jura, KPDX.
----------------------------------------------------------------Randy, I must mention that because I have a Dell XPS 730x system, and because I bought it last July, I also got the rights to a free W7 upgrade from my then current Vista counterpart. So, what came in the upgrade package later on was the W7 Ultimate Setup disc, but also I guess more importantly, a DVD disc from Dell that is called the Dell Upgrade Assistant disk. With Vista 64 bit up and running at desktop, you are instructed to first put in the Assistant disc and let it fine tune/comb your Vista setup in advanced PREPERATION for your initial W7 install.I did so, and watched with some fascination, that it caught many er...'could be' problems with drivers and versions of software that I had already upon my system. It then upgraded the drivers, temporarily removed the offending software, cleaned the registry (pretty good, huh?), and only when it was finished and certified that my system was now in a clean virgin state for my W7 installation, I was then directed to put in the W7 Ultimate disc. Did that...watched as the whole shebang got under way...and finished with the installation. Then, instructions came onto the screen that the Assistant Software would then install once more the software that would have conflicted/corrupted the installation of W7. It did so automatically, installing updated versions of the software if I gave it permission, and soon, I was flying under W7.I could have a really nice install because I had the use of the Assistant Disk BEFORE attempting the W7 upgrade. It sure identified and did a lot of grooming of my then Vista setup, before I did in fact install W7. Perhaps, as I suggested to another user...that this disc could be purchased from Dell (if it will work on other systems other than Dell specific) and it would make the install/upgrade a painless affair.Mitch

Guest abulaafia
2. The system is running resources much better and leaner than with having used Vista. Things get opened lightning fast. One benefit right away, is that I had my i7-975 running (overclocked to 4.1 GHz) to get a constant 30 FPS locked down by the FPS Limiter Software. I have found by much experiment, and pleasure...that I can now run my i7-975 CPU at the STOCK settings from Dell as I received it, and still maintain all the same performance I had, when having overclocked the snot out of it. :) This is no longer necessary to achieve a smooth 30 FPS in FSX and my locked 60 FPS in FS9.75. This was NOT POSSIBLE under Vista 64 bit. This is not in the realm of Placebo Effect. This is hard tack system-level observation.
Just wanted to confirm this. I too have removed the o/c on my 975 after countless tests and comparisons. There are situations where running 4.0Ghz added a few fps, but it was just not worth it.

----------------------------------------------------------------Randy, I must mention that because I have a Dell XPS 730x system, and because I bought it last July, I also got the rights to a free W7 upgrade from my then current Vista counterpart. So, what came in the upgrade package later on was the W7 Ultimate Setup disc, but also I guess more importantly, a DVD disc from Dell that is called the Dell Upgrade Assistant disk. With Vista 64 bit up and running at desktop, you are instructed to first put in the Assistant disc and let it fine tune/comb your Vista setup in advanced PREPERATION for your initial W7 install.I did so, and watched with some fascination, that it caught many er...'could be' problems with drivers and versions of software that I had already upon my system. It then upgraded the drivers, temporarily removed the offending software, cleaned the registry (pretty good, huh?), and only when it was finished and certified that my system was now in a clean virgin state for my W7 installation, I was then directed to put in the W7 Ultimate disc. Did that...watched as the whole shebang got under way...and finished with the installation. Then, instructions came onto the screen that the Assistant Software would then install once more the software that would have conflicted/corrupted the installation of W7. It did so automatically, installing updated versions of the software if I gave it permission, and soon, I was flying under W7.I could have a really nice install because I had the use of the Assistant Disk BEFORE attempting the W7 upgrade. It sure identified and did a lot of grooming of my then Vista setup, before I did in fact install W7. Perhaps, as I suggested to another user...that this disc could be purchased from Dell (if it will work on other systems other than Dell specific) and it would make the install/upgrade a painless affair.Mitch
--------------------------------Post Edit via my own Reply: One thing that is overlooked really easily...is if you want to install, or upgrade to a new O.S. Before you even start!!!---return your system to a non-overclocked/over driven state, ie: as came from the factory or from the manufacturer of the BIOS. If not, you may find that the read/writes upon installation could become to any degree corrupt, leading to some of the problems that posters here have documented. I have a question for them...did they forget to bring their system back to total spec, BEFORE they installed W7? :) BTW, if anybody is curious, my system is what is explained in this youtube video. I have the air-cooled option, and not the water-cooled. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RCmJWT15j0 That's my beast to the right upon the table.

Guest WarpAir
Just wanted to confirm this. I too have removed the o/c on my 975 after countless tests and comparisons. There are situations where running 4.0Ghz added a few fps, but it was just not worth it.
IMHO The power of i7 is so much that other components and software cant keep up hence the stutters associated with i7 OC.my i7920 @3.8Ghz is very smooth cause i set affinity mask to 14 = 1110 meaning core 0 is not used by FSX. That allows other OS code etc to run , and fsx is much smoother for it.IMHO there is no need for fps limiter just set affinity to 14 and see what you get, OC your i7975 as much as you can, then set affinity 14 = smooth. With HT OFF.with HT on then you set affinity to 252 = 1111 1100 to achive the same effect, but with ht on you cant OC as much.