Sign in to follow this  
BrunoRomano

Using FlightAware for planning - MD11

Hi everyone!I was looking at the flight planning function of Flightaware.com, and I was considering using it for planning of my PMDG MD-11 flights. I've noticed you can "create" an airplane profile on that website, and it will calculate fuel consuption and everything together. Has anybody tried it? Does it works ok?I also have no idea of how to get the climb, cruise and descent profile numbers to put on that site... If anybody knows, it would be of great help for me!And also, by the way, what flight planning instrument do you use to plan your flights? As it's obvious, I'm looking out for one...Thanks!

I use Flightaware all the time, but I dont use anything on the site to create any flightplans, I just copy the given route for a flight, paste it into Simroute's flight planner, make the needed adjustments (trim up the NAT's so they will be recognized and such) then generate the plan both for FS2004 and PMDG. Gives me 1 RTE file and 1 PLN file. I load the PLN into the sim, and load the RTE into the MD-11 and I've never had a problem. You just have to look at the PLN file to make sure all the waypoints were properly numbered by order, if not you can just re-number them. I just learned to fly the NAT's using this method, could never get it down before, now it's a breeze. The RTE file always seems to work well, no re-numbering needed that I have ever run into.

Bill Howard

pmdg_trijet.jpg