Sign in to follow this  
ericd19320

trim ?

Can someone please tell me if there is a difference between the two button key commands pitch up (elevator up). There is another just elevator up/down.I am seriously having issues learning to use trim and want to make sure that I least have the right command mapped.Thanks Eric

Can someone please tell me if there is a difference between the two button key commands pitch up (elevator up). There is another just elevator up/down.I am seriously having issues learning to use trim and want to make sure that I least have the right command mapped.Thanks Eric
Hi Eric,Numpad 7 is Trim down, ie. Nose DownNumpad 1 is Trim up = Nose UpIs found this reference sheet which is quite good: http://www.mutleyshangar.com/downloads/FSX...%20Pamphlet.pdfBrKim.....

Pitch is the keyboard equivalent of pulling back on the stick, You want the pitch or elevator TRIM commands mapped

Hi Eric,Elevator trim in the real world is normally accomplished by moving a small "tab" on the elevator up or down. However there are some aircraft that move the entire elevator in the trim function. This is done in the cockpit by moving a trim wheel or handle or via a switch for electric trim. The proper way to use elevator trim is to apply pressure on the elevator control (stick or yoke) until the desired nose attitude is achieved. Then apply trim in the appropriate direction to releive the pressure so when you let go of the elevator control the nose attitude remains at the desired angle. That's how it works in the real world. As far as the sim goes, it depends on your control set up. But with most of them one has to trim to hold the desired nose attitude at the center point of the joystick or yoke. I suggest assigning two of your joystick buttons to "elevator trim up" and "elevator trim down" functions. It makes it a lot easier.Hope that helps some.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

With my old joystick I was using FS Force, and I found their description of the differences between trim in a real-world aircraft vs. the sim very useful. It is located here: http://www.fs-force.com/help2/trim_system.htm
Thanks for the replies and advice. I will give this a try. In my opinion trim is the hardest thing to do. it was easier to learn vor navigation ...btw, I noticed that on my trim setting that the repeat feature was set to max. when I turned it down it was a bit easier to control. I also noticed that feathering the prop helped as well.

I REALLY wish someone would create a Force Feedback YOKE. I would pay some serious money for that.