Sign in to follow this  
Guest DannyP

GPS Display

Guest DannyP

How can I get the GPS in FSX to display on my laptop? I use a desktop PC to run FSX. I would like to have the GPS display on my laptop PC. Both are on the same home network.I know I can add a second monitor to the flying PC and put the GPS on that, but I do not have the room , nor want to hookup an other monitor.I really only want to see the ground terrain (mountians, rivers) when I'm bush flying in Alaska. When I have the GPS on the same screen as the cockpit & front outside view it covers some of my guage's. I know I can make it smaller but I"m old man and can't see to well :( I have WideFS & FSUIPC (the latest version). How about GPSOut. Will that work.ThanksDanny

As far as I know, it is impossible - while it would be highly desirable (for FMC, too).

I have WideFS & FSUIPC (the latest version). How about GPSOut. Will that work.
Neither of those well do what you want.What will work, and work very, very well is a program called MaxiVista:http://www.maxivista.com/
MaxiVista turns any spare Desktop, Laptop or Netbook PC into a dual monitor for your primary computer. No extra multi monitor hardware is required. Simply extend program windows across multiple screens as if it were one big monitor. Increase your productivity by using multiple monitors.MaxiVista Pro can even link up to four computers to create a giant desktop space of up to 7,680x1,600 pixels
A time-limited, "Free Demo" version is available from the above link.It's the best $40 I've ever spent, other than FS Panel Studio that is... :(I've been using it for years to display the GPS on my old, tired and otherwise useless laptop! Best of all, MaxiVista is useful for anything you wish to display on a remote computer's screen(s). It simply becomes "another monitor" as far as your host computer is concerned.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest DannyP

Thats right. I forgot all about Maxivista. I tried the demo a few months ago and it worked fine.Thanks Fr Bill

Guest PPSFA

If you just want to see the terrain, get FSWidgets map. Its free and uses Google Earth to display your position, I love it, and it runs on second machine using simconnect.

Check this out: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=271571It has instructions for setup too, so you don't end up wasting time trying to configure simconnect. It can be used with FSUIPC or simconnect, but simconnect will probably cause less problems and since FSUIPC uses simconnect to communicate with FSX anyway. I run it on my laptop through simconnect, and it works perfectly with my desktop. I'm not sure how fast the FSX PC will communicate with the client PC through FSUIPC, but I know through simconnect its almost instant, and it gives you data such as traffic in your area, both in a list and on the map, you can see terrain (uses google maps), it allows you to display flight plans, see VORs, it even has VNAV and alerts with sound when approaching an intersection or Airport. It also has a mini "GPS Panel", which is basically an airspeed indicator, CDI, Heading Indicator, VSI, and Altitude Indicator, and the all update very smoothly and almost instantly (I'm talkin less than a second here!). I recommend you go to website on the link above and look @ the screenshots of the program and its features. Safe Flights :(

Guest DannyP

Thanks for all the info.Maxivista didn't work for me. It wouldn't let me change any of the GPS pages.Plan-G looks great, going to try that.Thanks again allDanny