Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

Tracking down "ghost" commands

About 4 months ago I got the Saitek Yoke and and extra Throttle Quadrant. Along with this I immediately began using FSUIPC for all of my controller programing, as quite honestly this many axes (9 total axes and some other number of buttons) just can't be put to good use without it. Unfortunately since that time I've been experiencing uncommanded gear extension or retraction. This is always happening near the ground, either between gear up and climb to acceleration height or between gear down and touchdown. It has never happened to me above 10,000' MSL and the only two aircraft I know this happens with are the PMDG MD-11 and 747. It may happen with others, but I'm flying FSX a lot more now and don't have the extensive time with other aircraft in FS9 (speaking of which, I have not had this problem at all in FSX with the PMDG MD-11, 747X, JS41, FT ERJ-145 or the LDS 767).I initially had programmed the gear to use the button at the end of the axis pressing "G" when the button was pressed and then "G" again when the button was released. As I learned FSUIPC better, I now have it programmed as an axis to send a "gear up" command when in the upper 40% of travel and a "gear down" command in the lower 40% of travel (the middle 20% just being a dead zone). I have had this problem when it was programmed both ways. I have also used this way of programming in FSX without any troubles in that simulator. In fact, I found that I get this "ghost" command even when the additional quadrant with the landing gear axis is not connected (I think reasonably knocking the controller out of the picture).For the life of me, I can't find a way to make sense of this. I have no clue where this "ghost" command is coming from and it can make a landing really hairy when the gear are commanded up at the threshold. I've had intermittant "ghost" commands for the flaps, but this has become exceedingly rare. I have been through the default commands and unassigned every joystick button and axis so that everything is done through FSUIPC.So does anyone have any thoughts as to either what the problem is or a good way to go about tracking it down? I'd really appreciate it as, FS9 still really has a place for me for those longer airliner flights--my computer just can't handle more than 2.5-3 hours of FSX and if I'm going to do full start up and shut down procedures, this limits the flight length greatly.

Eric Szczesniak

I used to get this until I downloaded the latest drivers. I ditched the SST software and have never used a registered FSUIPC. I set everything up with FS assignments. I also don't have anything other than mode on butons 9,10, or 11. Everything now works perfectly.

Thanks guys. That helped a lot. I had gone through and removed all joystick buttons, but being told to look at the mode buttons specifically gave me a direction to look. While my FS configuration screen told me that all the joystick assignments had been removed, I found a line in my FS9.CFG assigning button 9 (one of the mode buttons) to the gear toggle command. I removed this line and am now one flight without problems. Obviously, continued testing will be needed, but this is good news and a good start.

Eric Szczesniak

Since I also assign everything in FSUIPC, I usually delete all assignments for joysticks/yoke/pedals in fs9.cfg(s) and put the statement "LOCKED=1" below each controller's first line. Thus FS9 cannot assign anything to any controller on it's own. I still get one or two "ghost" commands once in every blue moon, so maybe I should upgrade my drivers, too... thanks for the tip! Such a "ghost" command ruined my flight the other day. Just above the rwy treshold at LaGuardia the autopilot came ON and the Emb-135 immediately went into a sharp left turn! The crash was quite spectacular.... :( Regards,Jure

Check for levers/throttles that are set as controlling the gear (FS9 can do some really weird things with assignments). Check every axis assignment and get rid of any extra ones.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest smoothvirus
Thanks guys. That helped a lot. I had gone through and removed all joystick buttons, but being told to look at the mode buttons specifically gave me a direction to look. While my FS configuration screen told me that all the joystick assignments had been removed, I found a line in my FS9.CFG assigning button 9 (one of the mode buttons) to the gear toggle command. I removed this line and am now one flight without problems. Obviously, continued testing will be needed, but this is good news and a good start.
Good to hear! :(