Sign in to follow this  
Guest Milamber

Minor copyright infringement - what would you do?

Hi all:A while back I downloaded a set of AFCAD files for an area that I had uploaded files for myself. Three of the files turned out to be mine; not modifications but the exact same ones, without any credit given to my work.Now I know that when producing AFCAD files "in bulk" it is easy to get mixed up with all those files (I have to use a spreadsheet to keep myself organized). I gave the author the benefit of the doubt and thought it would be overkill to have his file yanked off the servers.I sent a friendly email to the individual, including the following sentence: "Given your contribution of some 60 files this is a minor issue and I assume it's an honest mistake. However, I'd like to ask you to be more careful in the future and not include other people's work without prior permission and adequate credit." No reply or update to the file package (granted, I didn't ask for either).A week later, I sent another email, this time specifically asking for a response (basically, expecting an apology or some kind of recognition or explanation).Again, no reply.A month has passed and the individual is uploading new AFCAD files so I know he's not on an extended vacation.My decision is to let this one slip but I'm pretty disappointed and certainly will watch that person's contributions closely for other copyright infringements. My question to anyone interested in commenting: What would you have done?Cheers, Holger

Guest Milamber

There is not much you could have done beyond what you did except perhaps to report this to AVSIM administrators. With freeware products, while you do have LEGAL rights, it would be cost prohibitive to enforce those rights legally so you must rely on the community at large to self-police itself. It's also probably not worth making too much of a stink about or you risk getting into a flamed up debate like the B-25 affair :) I say...Once..Do like you did and ask the author to be more carefull...Then let it go...If it happens again or several more times, then inform the administrators and the community, but only if you can back up your accusations.