Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

DirectX Update

for those who are interested, DirectX 9.0b is available for download on the Windows Update site under "recommended updates". happy flyin, FM

Guest PaulL01

>for those who are interested, DirectX 9.0b is available for>download on the Windows Update site under "recommended>updates". >>>> happy flyin, FMThere was an DX 9.0b runtimeSDK released a few days ago, but it contains no new API and is only useful if you are using DX development tools, since that is the case it is highly unlikly that there will be a 9.0b user runtime.Could you provide a link wto where you saw it please?Thank you.

Guest PaulL01

Got it...Thanks Gosta and Flyinmisfit.Since no new API is present this looks to be a user release due to the DX security issues only. ??? There is some work in progress to some bad programing in DX9 that is making a problem for certain DX9 video cards trying to AA a full scene but that is relatively new and there has been no information as to forward progress along with the DX9.0bSDK release. Hmmmmmmm

Hi Paul,>There is some work in progress to some bad programing in DX9 that is making a problem for certain DX9 video cards trying to AA a full scene but that is relatively new and there has been no information as to forward progress along with the DX9.0bSDK release.:). I haven't tested it yet, so no idea if anything beside the security issue was fixed.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

hi Paul,go to Windows Update click on "scan for updates" after the scan for updates is completed click on "recommended updates" on the left side. it is listed as "directx 9.0b end-user runtime"

Paul, gosta,the directx security fix was listed under "critical updates" for me when i ran windows update earlier. i came across the 9.0b after the "directx security fix was installed. hopes this helps. btw, i'm not to sure what the difference is in 9.0b vs. 9.0a either. happy flyin, fm

Guest firehawk44

You can see what was updated by clicking on the DirectX files tab and looking at the dates of the files. Looks like two .ax files were updated.Jim

Hi Tom,the 'page file' or 'virtual memory' is a section on your hard drive the computer uses as if it was RAM. You can set the aize of the page file here: Right click on 'My Computer', select 'Properties/Advanced/Performance (Settings)/Advanced/Virtual Memory'. I have mine set to 'system managed size', which normally allocates about 1.5 times your RAM. If the number in that box is different from what Dxdiag is showing, it's because DXdiag list the total amount of memory as the page file (i.e. RAM + Virtual Memory), while the settings box lists the size of the page file on your hard drive (excluding RAM). So, your page file seems to be set at 602MB - 164MB used memory + 1462MB available memory = 1626MB total. Substract 1024MB RAM, and you get 602MB. The computer will use RAM first, before using the page file, because accessing RAM is so much faster than accessing the hard drive. 1GB of RAM is plenty for normal operations (including FS), so it shouldn't use the page file at all. The only time it would be used, is when you're working in Photoshop, for example and need to have a few obscenely large bitmaps open at the same time... Generally speaking, the system managed size works fine.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

My computer scan for windows updates every day and it got the DirectX 9.0b today, but I don't think I have DirectX 9.0 yet. I have Win98 still, how do I see what version of DirectX is on my computer? If there is no way to see, then I will just wait and install the DrirectX 9.0b when I get FS2004.