Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

Scenery files limits?

Guest danowat

Hi,Is there a limit to the amount of scenery files you can have installed in FS2002?.I don't mean as in area and layer numbers as all of my scenery is consolidated in various folders (i.e. all england scenery goes in an england folder).The reason I ask this is that I think I may have reached a point where no more can be installed, I installed some new scenery last night which I think "pushed it over the edge".I thought that maybe it was some "dodgy" scenery, so I tried a few more different packages, every time I installed a new package FS2002 would crash on start up, remove one scenery, and it was fine.Any ideas?.ThanksDan.

The LAYER limit in your SCENERY.CFG is 331, Dan, no matter where you source scenery from. The AREA number is irrelevant. I have about 800 add-on sceneries, but have consolidated considerably for that reason. All small Aussie airports in a folder called "Aussie various", for example.You cannot do that with entries that require individual exclude or flatten entries, obviously. Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest danowat

Hi Mark,Yeah I hear ya about the layers, I have about 300 or so, but it seems that I have reached a ceiling on the amount of actual scenery files (BGL's), if I now install any more than I already have FS2002 wont start, it's weird.I actually dread to think how much scenery I have but it must be at least if not more than 10GIG :-eekMaybe there is a limit on the amount of bgl files you can have in one folder?.At the moment I have just had to delete some files, so I can't add anymore scenery, still with FS2004 just round the corner it could give me a excuse to upgraded to FS2004!!.ThanksDan.

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Dan,There may be a limit to the number of files allowed in a folder. Some time ago I recall having a problem with about 1000 mesh bgl files in a single folder. I split them into logical groups and solved the problem, but did no further investigating so I don't know what the actual limit is.I am currently using almost 3000 bgl files (14.4GB) in a small number of folders with no problems. They are all included in the scenery library but not all are active at one time.Steve

I have just under 10GB of scenery files, Dan, all active, in 331 layers. All works that I know of, and some of my scenery subfolders have many, many BGLs. So I don't think that's it, myself.So this is a pretty useless post, isn't it, as it maybe eliminates a possibility but doesn't offer a solution! Let us know what you find out eventually.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg