Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

I nominate "Opa" for Flightsim's man for the decade

Guest datatrain

Man of the Decade. That's a very long time. As an active FS forum follower since 1998 I think this magnitude of recognition is a bit premature. Over the years there have been dozens of very bright and helpful people on the forums both here and at FS sim. Unfortunately as the years have passed for whatever reasons most have dropped off the radar. We don't have many commercial pilots anymore and we certainly don't seem to have many aeronautical engineers as we did in the old days. Todays crop of participants are helpful and knowledgable but that's simply natural evolution of the forums.I'm sure OPA would agree that the list of names from the past is both lengthy and very deserving of praise over the past ten years.

With all respect and appreciation for Opa, I think that singling out any single person or even small group of people is a counterproductive enterprise, because somebody deserving inevitably gets left out. I think back on years of freeware FSUIPC from Pete Dowson, the great models from Milt Shupe and company, amazing freeware sceneries from Grimshaw and Ansari, the CIVA intertial nav system, etc etc. Where to start? Where to draw the line?? It can't be done fairly. And tomorrow somebody new will contribute something else even more spectacular.Suffice it to say that in the early 90s when I started with desktop flight simming, I would never have believed that we'd have anything close to what I have on my desktop today. FS9 and a full range of add-ons positively eclipses the very expensive full-motion simulators I used to teach flying to USAF student pilots in the early 1980s.So saludos to Opa, and Pete, and Milt, and Shez, and George, and Gianfranco...and all others unnamed yet intensely appreciated.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Well Said.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

So saludos to Opa, and Pete, and Milt, and Shez, and George, and Gianfranco...and all others unnamed yet intensely appreciated
And to each and everyone of the members here in the AVSIM forum for helping each other.

I'm sure OPA would agree that the list of names from the past is both lengthy and very deserving of praise over the past ten years.
I have been following this thread with interest and a keen sense of embarrasment. While I do appreciate the sentiments expressed, I am but one of many, many simmers who freely share their knowledge and experience here and in other forums and in many diverse ways.It is just my way a giving back a little to the sim community which has been so very generous to me over the years. The real praise belongs to those who have gone before us and upon whose shoulders we all stand.

Opa has had the last word and this might be a good place to end this thread. Of course I did not mean to slight the multitude of other people who have and still do give of their time and knowledge in FS2004 matters, or the many designers of all of the FS2004 products and services etc. It's just that I , personally, want to give Opa some credit for all of his help, mainly, here on the FS2004 Avsim forum. jerrycwo4

Guest fernis

I nominate myself for simmer of this second...ooops my second is up, oh well... :(

Guest fernis

To name Opa as flightsim's man of the decade would be the same as saying that all the developers of add-ons are in second, which I don't think is right.A fair way to put it would be to nominate Opa to the hall of fame of the flight simmulator's contributors.This way all those other great contributors who also deserve to be in the hall of fame would also be second to none.It might be a good idea then, if they write a " HF " sign by the name of these hall of famers.Who would decide those in the HF?... hmmm, not me, I only have 4 posts :( ... oh well...