Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveUSB

Takeoff, can't stay straight on the runway

Cherry picking for ideas.I no longer own rudder pedals. I have auto rudders checked in FSX. During the takeoff roll, it's very difficult to roll straight down the runway. Even starting slowly, and building up to speed, it's quite difficult (for me). Sometimes locking the tailwheel helps, more often than not it simply means I'll run "straight" off the runway. Any ideas appreciated.CH USB Pro Joystick & Throttle combo.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Few suggestions0 - To make sure the problem is not from some wroung calibration of conttrols, put plane on runway and change fsx weather to "clear all skies" means no wind. Then test a takeoff. If this is much better than what you had with normal weather, then its wind that is casing your problem, so you need to master centrering on runway in crosswind conditions.1 - Uncheck auto rudder, rudder control much more effective if you rudder yourself2 - Turn down difficulty of plane control in realism settings, so things control more easily in the sim3- When you start fsx, always move all your controllers/joystick/pedals to thier extreme points as a sort of calibration. I do this everytime i start fsx and on the ground in airport.4 - I use Logitech force3d pro , and i think a joystick with twist for rudder is more controllable and less hasle than rudder pedals.5 - This also tends to happen if autoplot is on by mistake when you on takeoff run.99% of the time i have difficulty staying centered, its been cause of wind, i know cause i often try same takeoff agin with clear weather and the takeoff is effortlessly centered on the runway.So you may need to turn down flight dynamics difficulty settings in fsx realism settings menu, till you become a pro.

Yep, Autopilot ON on the takeoff roll will send you into the trees in a heartbeat. :(

Cherry picking for ideas.I no longer own rudder pedals. I have auto rudders checked in FSX. During the takeoff roll, it's very difficult to roll straight down the runway. Even starting slowly, and building up to speed, it's quite difficult (for me). Sometimes locking the tailwheel helps, more often than not it simply means I'll run "straight" off the runway. Any ideas appreciated.CH USB Pro Joystick & Throttle combo.
I've seen that happen before. Try coffee instead of beer and see if that helps. :( Stephen

As you mention tailwheel may we assume you are talking about a piston engined aircraft? Now, how about telling us which one!?Some common faults: 1: Failing to set take-off trim on rudder. Many piston props have a left- or right-turn tendency on take off following the application of power due to torque reaction to the prop turning. 2: Using too much power on take-off. Although it would be nice to slam the throttle wide open, most WWII single-engined aircraft actually could not take off at full throttle as the torque from the massive engines up front overrode the ability of rudder and steering to keep it straight. Twins without `handed` engines may even need one throttle to open before the other called `leading`.3: You may be raising the tail too early. Airspeed is what gives rudder `bite`. At low speeds or with the tail low things may be blanked or less effective than desirable. Keep the tail DOWN with up elevator until the aircraft is close to take off speed - this also gives the tailwheel more authority.4: Crosswind component. Many taildraggers can show a notable instability on take-off with a crosswind.If these dont help, be more specific in your request for information.

Yep, Autopilot ON on the takeoff roll will send you into the trees in a heartbeat. :(
I must admit I have killed a few trees.

3: You may be raising the tail too early. Airspeed is what gives rudder `bite`. At low speeds or with the tail low things may be blanked or less effective than desirable. Keep the tail DOWN with up elevator until the aircraft is close to take off speed - this also gives the tailwheel more authority.
Is this type of rudder behavior ("bite" due to speed and tail elevation) modeled in FSX?

Is this type of rudder behavior ("bite" due to speed and tail elevation) modeled in FSX?
Yes.Badly.

Thanks everyone. What I've done is assign rudder trims left/right/center to my CH throttle. Hopefully that should make the situation easier to control.