Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Possible Solution to some having FSX 'FREEZE'

I think that I have it! Until I took a user's suggestion the other day (about two days ago...) and stopped using the FSP Limiter Software (which I have set to the default 30 FPS limit), I had never had a freeze. I have ONLY had the freeze when having set FSX internally to 30 fps, and NOT HAVING USED THE LIMTER SOFTWARE. I just took a 20 minute flight with FSX set to unlimited inside, and the FPS Limiter running the limit show. Guess what?No freezes! I think that everybody is right that there is a thread collision problem, that is alleviated (that is why the software was created in the first place perhaps!...) by using the software to limit to 30 fps, but leaving FSX itself..as unlimited.All of you...please run the limiter with FSX as unlimited in graphics display...and then go for your normal flight where you have had freezing issues. See if they have 'thawed'....Post Edit: GOOD NEWS! Freezing issue gone with using FSX at unlimited and FPS Software Limiter v2.0 at 30 FPS. I just flew a flight from Sedona, AZ to Phoenix, AZ where yesterday under just FSX set to 30 FPS internally, I had a freeze halfway between departing and destination. Everything this morning was the same except for now having run FPS Limiter. Hopefully, this will end the symptom until someone perhaps can come up with a in-game solution. This appears to happen to some, on XP,VISTA, and W7.Mitch

What's a freeze? Do you mean stutters?Do you have i7 or something else?
--------------------------------------------No, not a stutter. It is where you are flying along...and all of a sudden, the action stops, no animation, with sound of the engine still playing. Nothing is happening. You invoke Task Manager, and end FSX session. Some are having this issue ten minutes into a flight, 80 minutes into a flight...ten seconds into a flight. No standard occurrence. Some think that it is caused by Thread Collisions within the program.I have had three such incidents myself. When it happened, I was using FSX to limit my fps to 30. That's when I have had three or more of these. On a hunch, I started again to use the FPS limiter software, and could fly for as long a session as I wanted without a freeze happening. Many others have had this over XP, Vista, and some with W7. This is not limited to any particular O.S. It must be an internal FSX bug/issue. There is a thread about this particular 'bug' already in play. Not everyone, at any given time is having this 'FSX freeze up issue'. Like I typed earlier, I have had three of them myself, in different parts of the virtual world. Since going back to using FPS limiter software, I have had no other incidents..... Not a stutter...something completely different....

Well...perhaps the FPS Limiter (while it works to stop the FSX 'freeze', was not the ONLY way to avoid this PITA.One user suggests just turning off your O.S.'s (U)ser (A)ccount ©ontrol as perhaps that also might trigger this random (for some) event.

Guest abulaafia

Unfortunately there are reports of freezing happending with fps unlimited too. Also, for some unlimited is not an option as it introduced unbearable stuters.

Guest FSXBuster

I'm confused...The recommended setting when using FPS Limiter tool IS to set the frames to unlimited in FSX, otherwise, what's the point with this tool?Set FPS Limiter to whatever suits your system: 25, 28, 30 or....Am I wrong or am I not??

Just thought I would give FPSLimiter a try. Can anyone tell me however, is it possible to remove the large green fps count in the top left corner of the screen - or at least make it much smaller?#bump#?

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

I think that I have it! Until I took a user's suggestion the other day (about two days ago...) and stopped using the FSP Limiter Software (which I have set to the default 30 FPS limit), I had never had a freeze. I have ONLY had the freeze when having set FSX internally to 30 fps, and NOT HAVING USED THE LIMTER SOFTWARE. I just took a 20 minute flight with FSX set to unlimited inside, and the FPS Limiter running the limit show. Guess what?No freezes! I think that everybody is right that there is a thread collision problem, that is alleviated (that is why the software was created in the first place perhaps!...) by using the software to limit to 30 fps, but leaving FSX itself..as unlimited.All of you...please run the limiter with FSX as unlimited in graphics display...and then go for your normal flight where you have had freezing issues. See if they have 'thawed'....Post Edit: GOOD NEWS! Freezing issue gone with using FSX at unlimited and FPS Software Limiter v2.0 at 30 FPS. I just flew a flight from Sedona, AZ to Phoenix, AZ where yesterday under just FSX set to 30 FPS internally, I had a freeze halfway between departing and destination. Everything this morning was the same except for now having run FPS Limiter. Hopefully, this will end the symptom until someone perhaps can come up with a in-game solution. This appears to happen to some, on XP,VISTA, and W7.Mitch
I installed fps limiter a couple days ago. It works wonders. But was still freezing up. I then lowered TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT back to the default of 40 and my freezing issues stopped.

I installed fps limiter a couple days ago. It works wonders. But was still freezing up. I then lowered TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT back to the default of 40 and my freezing issues stopped.
I don't use this program. I just set FPS to *unlimited* in FSX and never have any freezes! No matter how long the flight. An occasional split second hesitation when autogen or cloud sliders are too high, but never any freezes. I only fly the airliners and I have a Q6600 @ 3.6 and an 8800 Ultra. FSX is on it's own dedicated 10,000rpm drive.B. Scott

Hi Mitch,My sense is that freezes happen when you ask the system to do too much. For example, I will sometimes stop the sim, go to the desktop to do something, restart it, alt-tab, change some display settings within FSX (like start or stop BLOOM), change autogen density, in the middle of a flight! Or perhaps the overclock on my memory is a little too close to the edge. These situations will on occasion lead to freezes. I was the person who brought FPSLimiter.exe to the attention of the community as a smoothing utility for FSX and continue to use it always. I never have freezes if I dial down CPU/memory overclocks to allow for a little more wiggle room on the stability side. I always run FSX in UNLIMITED, w/ frames locked to 25-40 in the Limiter.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I've been trying, without success, to get FPS Limiter set up on my system, but I'm having some trouble working through the directions. Is the full download the 146 bits .rar file, or is there more?

Kevin Young

I've been trying, without success, to get FPS Limiter set up on my system, but I'm having some trouble working through the directions. Is the full download the 146 bits .rar file, or is there more?
Yes you definitely want to set FSX in UNLIMITED and FPS Limiter anywhere you want, but probably between about 22 and 40. Lock ups are pretty rare for me and I have my sys set up that way.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Hi Mitch,My sense is that freezes happen when you ask the system to do too much. For example, I will sometimes stop the sim, go to the desktop to do something, restart it, alt-tab, change some display settings within FSX (like start or stop BLOOM), change autogen density, in the middle of a flight! Or perhaps the overclock on my memory is a little too close to the edge. These situations will on occasion lead to freezes. I was the person who brought FPSLimiter.exe to the attention of the community as a smoothing utility for FSX and continue to use it always. I never have freezes if I dial down CPU/memory overclocks to allow for a little more wiggle room on the stability side. I always run FSX in UNLIMITED, w/ frames locked to 25-40 in the Limiter.Noel
Hi Noel,Noel, I have to say that after you pointed the way towards the FPS Limiter Program, I had used it as well with a lock down of 30 and unlimited in FSX. I had no freezes. I then tried (I always am willing to try something new to see how it works for my own system...) not using it, and got three freezes in different parts of the virtual world. I then went back to using it, and had no further issues. Some have said that no matter what they do, they have freezes. This then begs the question...are their systems overclocked in any way..and could that eventually add to file corruptions in reads and writes until it reaches some critical level that starts showing up as PITA's with using FSX, or any other program for that matter? It makes you wonder. I for myself, have gone back to Dell's standard which was a very slight overclock to 3.6 GHz as after having installed W7, I am now getting the exact same FPS performance than when my i7-975 was OC'd to 4.1 GHz under Vista. I guess that if you decide to overclock/over-drive your system components...you will always run the risk of file corruptions...and program anomalies...