Sign in to follow this  

Serial numbers why can't we sell them?

Demo is a great idea....For a consumer to get the full flavor of the program all the features need to work and just be time limited. If not a company can hide features that do not work and say it is not working as a part of the demo. I have noticed to on some scenery demos the frame rate is much better than the actual product brcuase features are missing. I have another idea, a no questions return policy...if you do not like the product send it back for a full refund. This would tell me the comsumer this program is perfect and does not need a patch or the company will get it back. I am getting tired of paying for software and than becoming the beta tester. If software was already beta tested why are so many thing still wrong with these programs? Are companies rushing to get the software out knowing there are problems. Than after they have gotten it out than fix what the beta testers found and other things they have not found. Sometimes I can not believe how many things are wrong with these programs, that I wonder was it beta tested at all. If there are companies out there reading this please tell me how this happens. David AlbrightFAA Flight dispatcherSingle and Mult-engine rated pilot

You just have to go AGAIN and turn a scientific debate into another flamewar against PSS do you?Demos don't solve any of your gripes, as demos are properly partial representations of the full product.What you want is a trialversion that is fully functional but the problem with those is that they are all too easily cracked, which is why many people demand them in the first place.

How do you return a software product when there is no physical medium?Some companies have a return policy, and they are taking great risks with those.How many of the people returning the product do not destroy their copies and license keys but keep using the thing, having bought it only with the intention of making a copy and then returning the original for a refund?That risk is the main reason most software companies do not have a refund policy (and if they do, often the sales channel refuses to honour it).

Guest Tim13

Whew!!! I can't believe that I read this whole thread. LOLAnyhow, many good points have been raised here. The bottom line for me is this. If someone buys a download version of software(or boxed version for that matter) with a key to activate it then later decides that they don't want it anymore, I'm comfortable with them selling it or giving it away. As long as they remove it from thier hd, I personally don't see a problem with that practice. Honesty is the key. Retaining any portion of that software for later use is of course piracy, and frowned upon by all legit users here.JMHOTim13

>serial number for that I do not use because they are >strictly FS2000 programs and I would like to sell, so I can >buy FS2002 software. An example of this is FSClouds and >FStraffic (ie if Lago software would give me a buy back >credit, than maybe comsumers would be happier in the end). They sure would but I do not follow your reasoning. My house if full of stuff I bought and don't use anymore and no company is willing to buy these products back. Certainly not if it is software where we can never be sure that you indeed are not still using the software.Sure we could do something like this, but we would have to increase the price of the product to avoid problems.We rather do it different. As you might have seen we have decrease the prices of our software rather drastic. We believe that it is easy to combat piracy, simply get the price as low as can be and hope enough people buy it.Our licenses are personal and can not be sold, swapped or traded. Just like almost any peice of software.Mathijs KokLAGO

That is fine IF everyone is honest, unfortunately there are too many people out there who are not. I think online vendors need to make it absolutely clear whether their product can/not be resold, perhaps somone could come up with a system to stop the problem (perhaps some sort of software "token" ??). All of the FS add on's I have purchased have been great value for money and I would not re-sell them even if I stopped using them, since I would rather support the developers.

>How do you return a software product when there is no >physical medium? >Some companies have a return policy, and they are taking >great risks with those. Indeed and that is why I believe that you should only buy software that is either shareware so you can try it or has demo versions that give a good impression of the real product.Mathijs

Good to see you back in business Mathijs.So that's what brought you and that bus together, "try before you buy"?Have to remind you that not all Lago products should be purchased according to that statement :-rotorBut then, Lago has enough of a reputation that that alone is a good selling point.

Reading this reminds me of people who are trating FREEware designers and publishers like they are PAYware ones.Anyhow, I feel that you are responsible for what you buy and what you sell. I can't figure anyone stupid enough just to buy a serial key. As for what you buy... Do a little research before you buy something. E.g. don't fly straight of to a website and order the product once it's out. That's why Avsim.com and Flightsim.com have these wonderfull "Product Reviews". If you like what you see and read then buy it, otherwise don't. Just in order to prevail disappointment.Furthermore I would like to add this. PSS, LAGO, Dreamfleet, Freeware parties, etc. all of them do a wonderfull job to provide YOU people with the greatest add-ons. There is no use of going around forums and start bahing developers (free- and payware) for something useless as a "Cabinlock". Just a piece of advise for people who want a little bit more that the standard planes and scenery of Microsoft.On the PSS topic note. If you want a fully functional cockpit, then go and buy the real bus ok? No matter what, I'm fond of the A320.Comments on my thoughts are welcome!

Guest mikehaska

On the PSS topic note. If you want a fully functional cockpit, then go and buy the real bus ok?... or I could buy PIC or Dreamfleet

Elrond, David and J,nice to see some well thought-out discussion here. Elrond is completely right, that this issue has not even begun to be resoved in the courts. It is an area of law, that in most countries has no statutory foundation of its own, and therefore needs to fit in with existing laws. As far as software licences are concerned, as a lawyer, I would argue that they amount to rental agreements - the software company obviously has not intended to transfer ownership of the product. The first problem is the rental period - the IRS stipulates three years for the complete depreciation of software. That is a good starting point. So, the price of the software is effectively three years rent paid in advance. If you want to get rid of it, you can claim back the unused rent for the remainder of the period (probably even plus interest). Obviously, as you have rented the software, you are not allowed to sell it at all. On the face of it, you'd think this would be in the companies' best interests. Actually no, it wouldn't, as the legal burdens on a lessor are much higher than those on a vendor, as far as maintenance of the product is concerned. Imagine what Microsoft's balance sheet would look like, if people claimed back their rent, because MS failed to perform their statutory duties? So, if they don't give you your rent back and insist you purchased the product, and therefore own it, but not quite? Well, at the moment there's no such thing legally (neither in Canada, Britain, the EU, or the US). It's either one or the other, until a Supreme Court, House of Lords or Constitutional Court decides otherwise (and then it won't be binding on other countries, whose highest courts may come up with a different answer). So, what is it, then? Some form of hire-purchase agreement where ownership is transferred, once full depreciation has occurred? I don't think any court can find a way to bring that argument in line with existing consumer protection laws. For the time being, it appears quite safe to ignore the licence agreements (but NOT any copyrights expressed therein, they are covered by well-established laws), and do with the software as one wishes (within reason, of course, and in accordance with existing laws), until a legal precedent has been established. The only problem here is, that some poor soul will be the one paying the legal costs for establishing that precedent...Cheers,Gosta.

Go buy whatever you want... I guess the majority will get the picture ;)

Possibly, but unless Alexander has experience with those he can hardly recommend them from personal experience...And which Dreamfleet product do you mean? I have the 737 and it is excellent, but the performance hit in FS2002 is a bit high so I don't fly it as much these days.I do fly the PSS Airbus a lot. Me, who prefers Boeings in general, flying an Airbus!

In fact my dear friend, I own the PSS A320, Dreamfleet 737, PSS 747, 767 PIC and the PSS 757 (i've probable forgot a few, but let is be.)Furthermore I like to emphasise that my opinion is that people rush off to the stores (on-line or physical stores, whatever) too fast. All I think is that the publishers do make their effort to bring you the best. My advise is to wait for a review about a product and then decide wheter to buy it or not.About the DF737... I didn't notice any performance hits... But it just could have been me :)