Sign in to follow this  
TacomaSailor

What happened?

I am sure not complaining but it would help me understand more how TP works if someone could explain this to me.My five minute standard test flight (Honda Jet 2500' 275 knots over Seattle -> KSEA -> S20 - and then SE) consistently showed an average FPS of 9.6 to 9.8. I changed ProxyUser.in max_lod from 16 to 17. I just wanted to see how much worse my frame rate would be at max resolution.I was shocked when the average frame rate for the next two standard test flights was over 19.6. I made that ONE & ONLY change between test flights. FSX runs on a stripped down system dedicated to gaming. NOTHING runs on the machine when FSX/TP runs. I use Process Explorer before and after a test flight to make sure nothing else is running.I made no hardware or system changes - just the max_lod change. TP required about 5 minutes to load and initialize when I restarted FSX - then it ran fantastic.My scenery settings are all at max exept Mesh resolution=5cm texture resolution=30cm Water effects=2.x and those were not changed between test flights. FSX Frames are locked at 31. What changed that made FSX/TP run so much faster?FSX/Acceleration VISTA32/SP2 TP 8.1

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

NO CHANGESloaded MAX Scenery test settings for FSXverified all settingsFlew test with max_lod=16 -- 9.8 fpsshutdown FSXchanged max_lod=17started FSXTP spent 5 minutes loading loaded MAX Scenery test settings for FSXverified all settings were same as beforeFlew test with max_lod=17 -- 19.6 fpsI have no automatic WX My business (since 1974) has been computer systems performance testing and analysis - I am pretty careful with my test procedures.Is there some process that occurs repeatedly in TP that over time will degrade performance and the change to max_lod caused TP to reset or reload something? The FSX performance (fps) had been slowly decreasing for the last week - that is why I started doing these tests.Files are defragmented on a regular basis (optimizing performance of disk systems is my specialty) and nothing would have changed in the three minutes it took me to edit the PoxyUser.ini file.

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

Tacoma,Something did indeed change (behind the scenes). You could have had 10,000 square miles of 2m resolution imagery, but when you change the settings in the proxyuser.ini, all that goes away and everything within reach of TileProxy manufactured scenery is flushed - all 221,615 of the 101020130103SU.bmp files. It is very painful to realize what happens when you don't use exactly the same settings as you had last time; been there, done that. More than once.So what you may be seeing is a much smaller scenery folder that only has tiles 'fleshed out' to the resolution needed in your test flight area. All the more remote '16 tiles' that you might have had are now .FLAT files for level 10 and 11 and tiny .bmp files for level 12 and 13 and still smallish files for 14 and medium size files for 15. It's equivalent to doing a scenery flush in the region that you are in. See how many 340k (level 16) tiles you have left...I do rather hope I'm wrong. But if you go back to 16, it should also be fine, as you will have just flushed out the 17 that you made.Loyd

Tacoma,Something did indeed change (behind the scenes). You could have had 10,000 square miles of 2m resolution imagery, but when you change the settings in the proxyuser.ini, all that goes away and everything within reach of TileProxy manufactured scenery is flushed - all 221,615 of the 101020130103SU.bmp files. It is very painful to realize what happens when you don't use exactly the same settings as you had last time; been there, done that. More than once.So what you may be seeing is a much smaller scenery folder that only has tiles 'fleshed out' to the resolution needed in your test flight area. All the more remote '16 tiles' that you might have had are now .FLAT files for level 10 and 11 and tiny .bmp files for level 12 and 13 and still smallish files for 14 and medium size files for 15. It's equivalent to doing a scenery flush in the region that you are in. See how many 340k (level 16) tiles you have left...I do rather hope I'm wrong. But if you go back to 16, it should also be fine, as you will have just flushed out the 17 that you made.Loyd
I do not understand your reply When I look at TP Photoreal World I find 543 .bmp files that are 342KB and they are in 276 folders 393 of those files were created BEFORE today. I also find 448 files that are 1366KB of which 418 were created BEFORE today. There are 165 files of 5462 KB of which 155 were created before today. Why would the smaller scenery folder, IF it were true, result in a 100% increase in FPS?

What happened - I was very careless in my testing!!I THOUGHT I was running TileProxy when I did those tests with the 9.6 - 9.8 FPS. Now I am pretty sure I was not running TP during those tests. I am pretty sure master_enable=NO was set and when I changed max_lod to 17 I also changed master_enable to YES. That is only a minor bit of stupidity. I just did another set of tests with max_lod=17 and see FPS of 21.3 to 22.4 when I am sure TP is running.When I am SURE TP is not running I consistently see FPS of 9.7 to 9.9.So - despite thinking I know so much about testing performance - I blew it!I think it fantastic that I can get better scenery and higher frame rates from a shareware product.

Tacoma,The shareware program disables autogen and landclass and probably a number of other things - freeing up lots of cpu cycles. I've seen FPS in excess of 150 in some places but a lot depends on the resolution. 1366k is a 1m tile, the 5462k is probably a 60cm tile. It doesn't take very many of these to begin to drag the system back down again. There's 1024 individual bitmaps per LOD8 cell and 64 of them per region covered by TileProxy bgls and 64 of them per scenery folder. It adds up quick!Personally, I live for 'low and slow' so that's desirable stuff, but for the cross country fliers, probably the level 14 or 15 is more than enough to make a big impact. How much can you see while enroute somewhere at FL 320?Loyd