Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

PMDG Aircraft, FSX, Windows 7 x 64 and black screens?

I'm near a major upgrade for my flight simulator computer to run FSX better (I am nearly an exclusive user already, but my current system crashes to a halt after about 3 hours of time in the sim). I saw someone on a forum reference "black screens" when using the PMDG 747 and MD-11 in FSX on an nVidia/Windows 7 64 bit system. What this referring too? Anything real or just internet rumor? I love FSX and want a better running machine (seems like Win 7 64 is the way to go since my current problems stem mostly from my 2 gb of ram in XP 32 bit), but loosing use of the PMDG add-ons may make me think twice. I use the PMDG MD-11, 747X and JS41 for FSX. Thanks.Eric Szczesniak

Eric Szczesniak

I am not having trouble and I have Windows 7 64bit and the pmdg aircraft run fine.Taylor Oldham

I am not having trouble and I have Windows 7 64bit and the pmdg aircraft run fine.Taylor Oldham
Could I ask what graphics card you're using? As I do more research, people seem to be pointing fingers at nVidia drivers.

Eric Szczesniak

8800GT with 195.62 here, Win7 64-bit and no problems with PMDG aircraft (or any other, for that matter).

8800GT with 195.62 here, Win7 64-bit and no problems with PMDG aircraft (or any other, for that matter).
Thanks, good to know at least some nVidia systems work fine.

Eric Szczesniak

Guest Wedge2566

I can only conclude (since this is what I am experiencing) that you have to have the following setup in order to have the frustrating black screens/texture issue:1. Windows Vista or Windows 7 (doesnt matter if it is 32 bit or 64 bit version) - MS got rid of the 3D Direct Sound/HAL with Vista and Win7 which is the main cause of the problems.2. Using any highly detailed AIRLINE addon aircraft. Exp: PMDG, Captain Sim, Flight1/Ultimate Airlines, Level D, Wilco, ect.3. ASUS Motherboard doesn't matter if you are using onboard sound or a sound card.Probable solutions:1. Reduce sound settings to 8000 Hz.2. FSX icon - check DISABLE VISUAL THEMES and DISABLE DESKTOP COMPOSITION also use COMPATIBILITY MODE WINDOWS XP SP23. Adjust bufferpools anywhere from 500000 to 300000.4. Disable onboard sound and install a Ceative Labs SB Sound Card and use ALchemy which enables 3D Direct Sound 5. Adjust RAM settings/speed.6. Use DX10 Preview Mode. Only solid Fix so far:1. Go back to WinXP x64 OSFor me personally I can't fathom purchasing another OS. So I am currently using solution #2 above and I will be installing a new Creative Labs sound card and testing it with ALchemy.You can keep up with any progress here:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...0&start=300

When i rebuilt my computer and upgraded to Win 7 64 bit on a SLI platform I ran into many issues with BlackScreens and loading. Not much is out there for fixes on this topic. I was able to find one post by chance that solved my problems for ever, and it makes sense when you think about it. The problem many face in a SLI or dual vid card application is drivers being installed for each card. Many of us think we plug both cards in power the computer up install drivers and away we go.....wrong. That led to all kinds of problems, resorting to me disabling the second card for a couple weeks until i found the solution. Install the first card and install drivers for it, allow the computer to shut down and do its thing. Then after you are sure it works, power down and install the second vid card. Then install the drivers for for it. THis way the computer has the drivers installed for each card.Not sure how updating the drivers will take place; hopefully i don't have to go through the removal and install all over again. But even if I do its well worth the fps I'm seeing in FSX. Who would have thought it would run so well and look so damn good.

When i rebuilt my computer and upgraded to Win 7 64 bit on a SLI platform I ran into many issues with BlackScreens and loading. Not much is out there for fixes on this topic. I was able to find one post by chance that solved my problems for ever, and it makes sense when you think about it. The problem many face in a SLI or dual vid card application is drivers being installed for each card. Many of us think we plug both cards in power the computer up install drivers and away we go.....wrong. That led to all kinds of problems, resorting to me disabling the second card for a couple weeks until i found the solution. Install the first card and install drivers for it, allow the computer to shut down and do its thing. Then after you are sure it works, power down and install the second vid card. Then install the drivers for for it. THis way the computer has the drivers installed for each card.Not sure how updating the drivers will take place; hopefully i don't have to go through the removal and install all over again. But even if I do its well worth the fps I'm seeing in FSX. Who would have thought it would run so well and look so damn good.
I follow what you're saying but there are a couple points I want to make to help maybe clarify some things.1. After you have installed the 1st video card, the drivers are in the system, so after you install the second card there will not be a need to manually install them. Windows will see it, query the .inf and install. Having to reinstall for a second card went out a while back, I think it was after windows Me, or before even. Unless of course, they are two very different cards, but in your case and the fact that your running SLI means they are the same.2. I think you're getting a placebo effect honestly. With new computers and new OS's since XP such a workaround isn't necessary. You may have seen better results because you didn't have SLI running, and after reinstallation of drivers resets nhancer (if you use that, which I would imagine you do). So it is possible that since it reset nhancer you are seeing improvements because of it. Installation of drivers only needs to happen once, but along side of what your saying, when building a custom for someone, I still follow old school practices that is putting the minimum in the system and installing windows. After I have installed the OS, first thing to load is the latest chipset drivers (never the cd), then any other mobo drivers like SATA, special bridge drivers (if released) etc... (crucial step before setting up SLI), all windows updates and then tweak windows. After that is is all done I install my cards one at a time (PCIE cards, sound card, video cards, etc...). All with the latest drivers, never cd. Again though, windows will automatically install the second video card if it is in the same series of the nvidia drivers. ie. GTX200 series all use the same driver.I also follow somewhat old school habits when I reinstall a nvidia driver. I uninstall them, run a registry cleaner, reboot, check the registry again, delete all remaining nvidia folders, then download the latest and install.This method is argued as also unnecessary by many, but I still do it to be safe. As in your method, it won't hurt anything.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Very good advice there Dan, that's exactly how I handle new systems myself. I usually do Windows Update (minus any drivers it shows) first though to ensure that any hotfixes for various subsystems are already there before I go and start installing drivers. Most experts (TweakGuides, AnandTech etc) recommend doing that first. From there I go chipset/mobo stuff, (one thing that's really easy to forget on new systems is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager AHCI/RAID driver and utility - this can cause your HD to perform very badly if you don't install it), video, sound and then everything else - mouse, keyboard, joysticks, printer etc.Instead of the registry cleaner when installing new drivers though, I'd suggest using Guru3D Driver Sweeper - it knows exactly where every Nvidia and ATI reg entry and file is and clears them all out on the next reboot. There's certain things a generalized registry cleaner probably isn't going to see and if you really want to return the graphics subsystem to the state it's in right after you clean install Windows I think DS is the best thing to use.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks Ryan, Guru3D Driver Sweeper is actually what I normally used but never had it saved on my back up drive and forgot what it was called the last windows installation. And yes, it works great at finding everything for my nvidias. Thanks to your post, I now have it once again. Also, good point on the storage driver. That one should be emphasized.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier