Sign in to follow this  

FS2K2 mystery airports...

I've noticed a few airports in FS2K2 that simply do not exist in the real world. One in particular is a small dirt strip NE of KCOS. Isn't on the sectional, now or in the last several years. Not a private strip...strange. I suspect there could be a fair number of them around.Should be interesting to see if it is still there in COF...Dave

Guest paulri

Could it be for the glider operations depicted on the Sectional?? OR maybe an old, abandoned strip no longer used, but the runways are still there and visible yet do not qualify for the "landmark" category?FS2k2 does show airports in the scenery that are closed and/or abandoned but are visible in real life from the air. Another example is the old Floyd Bennett NAS, later a CGAS, southwest of KJFK, but now closed. Has hard surface runways. shown on the NY sectional as a red circle with an X thru it.Paul

It's called Flanders ranch, but heck if I can find any reference to it on the sectionals, WACs, or airport facility directory. Checked an old set of sectionals (Stapleton era) and nothing there either, no closed airports, no private fields, nothing.Most peculiar, may drive over there (just a few miles north of the Black Forest VOR) and see what's lurking. Never saw it from the air flying out of 00V...Gotta be an alien secret landing site or something...Dave

Privately owned and operated airports can, at the request of the owner, be omitted from all available FAA and NOAA publications.The airport still is listed in the National Airspace Systems Database, (the one MS uses to locate all airports properly) because all FSS and ATC

Howdy:there's another possible explanation: the airfield does (or did) exist, just not in that location.I know of several airfields in British Columbia that are misplaced in FS by a few miles and at least one that is misplaced by more than 5 mi. The latter is in the mountains and ended up in the next valley to the east. So you might have to increase your search radius ;-)Cheers, Holger

Yup, that's the one...thanks much guys, I'll sleep better now that I know the greys aren't lurking about the town...DaveStill trying to strongarm some local dealer into giving up FS2004 early...