Sign in to follow this  
kiwikat

OOOOOK now...

Companies send their lawyers after people for stunts like this....
That's exactly what I was thinking. If it IS fake, that guy better have a lawyer. You can easily get relevant personal information through Youtube if someone is doing something illegal. I've seen it happen countless times with other criminal youtubers.If it were fake and that many videos had been forcefully removed from the channel, the account would be suspended or closed by now. Period.However, they aren't even going after the videos (obviously!). It is VERY easy to get videos removed from Youtube... that is indeed one of the downsides of the site. People who don't like what you are saying can easily (but not usually legally) remove it. Pretty much all of the videos, including the latest one, are still posted. This smells like viral advertising to me...1 + 2 = 3

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Pretty much all of the videos, including the latest one, are still posted. This smells like viral advertising to me...
PMDG would never release a model looking that elementary. Well - they haven't in the past. So, it would seem pretty bizarre if they are backtracking in terms of the release protocols. Seriously, that model looked like a nine year old did it. Blind. Come on guys...

PMDG would never release a model looking that elementary. Well - they haven't in the past. So, it would seem pretty bizarre if they are backtracking in terms of the release protocols. Seriously, that model looked like a nine year old did it. Blind. Come on guys...
Perhaps it was a very early or reference model? I don't know how PMDG models their aircraft. I've seen far worse alpha models from other companies though.What makes you think they are backtracking? Perhaps they are just trying something new. Lately it has become fashionable to reveal what you're working on ahead of time to keep customers interested and up to date.If a nine year old did that, I suggest they keep working at it! By the time they are an adult they could be working for pixar! :(

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Really?? There is no way PMDG did this. Absolutely, NO WAY.
Who said that they necessarily made it?A quick search at turbosquid reveals a couple models that look almost exactly like that. Both the turbosquid model screenshots and the shot from the youtube vid are too small to tell if they are the same or not.I know many payware developers who use existing models as a base or as a guide to build their own.The case that PMDG could easily remove this guy from the youtubes and HASN'T because it is viral advertising is a lot more believable than PMDG not using an existing model for a guide or a start (NOT a finished product). Though PMDG's modeling techniques are purely speculation on my behalf and are only based on what I know some other developers do.Of course it could also be an alpha PMDG model, having nothing to do with an existing or bought-in DHC-8 model.Just my few cents. You guys can come up with your own theories until someone at PMDG makes an official statement... or perhaps they already have :(Regardless, it is excellent publicity. :(

spacer.png

Guys I bet the Dash 8 is still in development. If this was PMDG(I believe so), then they might not be done modeling the plane.Taylor Oldham

In my opinion it is amateurish to show unfinished renders of your product.

In my opinion it is amateurish to show unfinished renders of your product.
Then I guess nearly every single developer is "amateurish". I cannot think of a single developer that has never posted any preview shots.

spacer.png

Who said that they necessarily made it?The case that PMDG could easily remove this guy from the youtubes and HASN'T because it is viral advertising is a lot more believable than PMDG not using an existing model for a guide or a start (NOT a finished product). Though PMDG's modeling techniques are purely speculation on my behalf and are only based on what I know some other developers do.Regardless, it is excellent publicity. :(
That makes a lot of sense. And it's pure logic.Also, obviously that's not a finished airplane. It can be only a reference model.Or, of course, it can be something made EXACTLY to cause this: discussion, threads around the net, people thinking about how they work... In other words: advertising. And good publicity, by the way.

Then I guess nearly every single developer is "amateurish". I cannot think of a single developer that has never posted any preview shots.
He's talking specifically about unfinished renders such as were shown in the video. PMDG never does that.-Alex

He's talking specifically about unfinished renders such as were shown in the video. PMDG never does that.-Alex
Unless someone from PMDG says otherwise, they have now!Like I said, if PMDG wanted to remove this account from Youtube, they easily could have, and still can. It isn't rocket science.

spacer.png

Unless someone from PMDG says otherwise, they have now!Like I said, if PMDG wanted to remove this account from Youtube, they easily could have, and still can. It isn't rocket science.
Yup, that video and account would've been gone in two minutes if it were a true violation of copyright, which is what we're talking about here. Doesn't add up. As far as the rendering goes, early renders always look goofy, especially if zoomed out from an odd angle within GMAX, or whatever the heck they use now.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest realatp

i've read everyones posts and Will is right, its real. I cannot see why not, and seriously, that dash looks like crap, but, its not done yet is it? And....on top of that PMDG have said it will come at the end of 2010 so there still along time to go. PMDG will someday show us screenshots of the Dash 8 and then we'll all want it, they don't give to craps what we think now, because its not evern close to be done yet.

People who say that pmdg never shows unfinished products/renders, there is always a first isn't there? Also, I am a little puzzeled why they didn't show the 737 but they showed the 747-8(that we didn't know that was a product) and the dash8 but we new that. Maybe the 737 is coming soon!Taylor Oldham

i've read everyones posts and Will is right, its real. I cannot see why not, and seriously, that dash looks like crap, but, its not done yet is it? And....on top of that PMDG have said it will come at the end of 2010 so there still along time to go. PMDG will someday show us screenshots of the Dash 8 and then we'll all want it, they don't give to craps what we think now, because its not evern close to be done yet.
Exactly my thoughts. Assuming this was real, then obviously there wouldn't be any glamour shots this far out of the Dash -8. As far as the one scrolling by the screen, that was to say "we never meant the Dash-8, we meant it as -8 (as in Boeing). The Dash at the end looks like a mere GMax (cad) model, which is probably all it is at this stage if anything.Where I think this shows potential for being fake the most is the way PMDG's name is mentioned as another entity, other than the one who made the video "In April 2009 PMDG announced a new Turboprop Series..." If it were PMDG don't you think they would have said ".... we announced"?One thing for sure, you won't have to wait long to see if it's real or not, because the end credits say "PMDG 747-400X -8i/F Product Extension: January 2010" and even though it also says "All dates approximate", this video was put out just yesterday, so if it is PMDG, then they are pretty sure it will be done and released this month. If it's not PMDG then they hosed themselves on a time table when this video will be seen as fake.Edit: Personally I hope it's not fake, that 747-8 looks sweet!

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier