Sign in to follow this  
Guest marko891

Missing Coastline

Guest marko891

Hi all, i need a bit of help with this one!Just took a flight from Palma de Mallorca and found that part of the coastline had changed from a nice sweeping coast to a square one and the breaking waves were about 1/2 a mile inland. Thought i gone to Lego Land!The add ons i am using are FS Global 2008 and FS Scene.I would guess that one of the scenery files in FS9 has gone corrupt but i dont know which one.I could completely wipe FS9 and start again but if i can repair, that would be great!Any help please!!!!Thanks Mark :(

Guest marko891

Just to addI have also been looking at Scenery upgrades like Ground Effect Pro, Ultimate Terrain Europe and REX.Will these upgrades possibly correct the problem or is the problem still with FS9 scenery!ThnaksMark

Hi Mark,Of all the addons you listed, UTE is the only one that would affect coastlines.One of your addons has disabled a default file.Have you deleted any scenery in that area lately?Can you post a screenshot with lat/lon displayed?regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Guest marko891
Hi Mark,Of all the addons you listed, UTE is the only one that would affect coastlines.One of your addons has disabled a default file.Have you deleted any scenery in that area lately?Can you post a screenshot with lat/lon displayed?regards,Joe
Hi Joe,Thanks for your quick response. I have not added nor deleted any files lately that i can recall. Forgive me, as regards to the screen shot can you please tell me how to take one as up until now i have never needed to use one???I have add on airports in this region Aerosoft Balearic Ilsands if that helps, but this has been on my sim for about a year!As i said i my previous post, i am now purchasing the listed upgrades so if i cant fix this i can always start again!Regards Mark

It takes three things to create a coastline in FS9:1. Landclass. The landclass file must define a ground texture for the area on the land side of the coast. worldlc.bgl provides the overall landclass, but if the coastline is moved from the default location (towards the sea), this file may no longer provide complete coverage and an addon landclass file is required.2. Hydro polys. These files are grouped in to world regions and are numbered based on a lat/long gird. They all start with "HP9" in the filenames. The hydro polys cause water to show in what would otherwise be displayed as ground due to the landclass definition. What this means is that water polys are typically defined for the coastline and out to sea a ways.3. Hydro lines. These files are in the same location/ follow the same numbering scheme except that the filenames start with "HL9". The hydro lines provide a visual beach, and also can trigger the breaking wave/surf effect. These lines are typically called "shoreline".In your case, it sounds like the shoreline file is there and working (you can see the breaking waves on the beach). Also, it appears that the shoreline is on land, so the landclass definition should be OK. That means most likely somehow a hydro poly file went missing, either the default, or an addon replacement (for certain technical reasons, an addon often will require deactivating the default hydro poly file when replacing it. If you then remove the addon you can forget to restore the default). You might have a look in your scenery folders for any file starting HP9 and ending in something besides .bgl (for example, bak). If you have many of these, you need to give us the lat/long of the problem area to nail down the specific file. scott s..

You might have a look in your scenery folders for any file starting HP9 and ending in something besides .bgl (for example, bak).
Specifically theseHP948170.*HP948180.*HP949170.*HP949180.*...and they should be in ...FS9\Scenery\Eurw\Sceneryregards,Joe

sigbar.gif

as regards to the screen shot can you please tell me how to take one as up until now i have never needed to use one???Regards Mark
I would first recommend a screenshot program, my personal choice is here - http://wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htmThe free version has suited me fine for several years.Then you have to adjust the files to meet forum guidelines, found here - http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=244196This can be done with MSPaint, although there are other alternatives available (as freeware) that do a better job.Note: we can sort out this issue without screenshots, so you don't need to post them for this. I provide you with this info in case you decide you want to take screenies later.regards,Joe

sigbar.gif

Guest marko891
I would first recommend a screenshot program, my personal choice is here - http://wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htmThe free version has suited me fine for several years.Then you have to adjust the files to meet forum guidelines, found here - http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=244196This can be done with MSPaint, although there are other alternatives available (as freeware) that do a better job.Note: we can sort out this issue without screenshots, so you don't need to post them for this. I provide you with this info in case you decide you want to take screenies later.regards,Joe
Hi Guys,Sorry i took so long for me to reply, had to work over the weekend.Here is the screen shot! Hope this helps. Mean while i will take a look at the file names that you have mentioned.ThanksMark

The file in question is HP948170.bglDid you by chance, delete an addon for that airport?Some addons replace default files with modified versions.If you simply delete the addon, as opposed t un-installing it, the default files do not get replaced.If you want to get the original file, it is on FS9 disc #3 in MSGAME8.cabYou can extract it with any un-zipping utility.More instructions can be found here - http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1241545570For an Excel file listing all default FS9 files look here - http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=41627Hope this helps.regards,Joe

sigbar.gif

Guest marko891
The file in question is HP948170.bglDid you by chance, delete an addon for that airport?Some addons replace default files with modified versions.If you simply delete the addon, as opposed t un-installing it, the default files do not get replaced.If you want to get the original file, it is on FS9 disc #3 in MSGAME8.cabYou can extract it with any un-zipping utility.More instructions can be found here - http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1241545570For an Excel file listing all default FS9 files look here - http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=41627Hope this helps.regards,Joe
Hi Joe,You are a star!! Thanks very much for all your help, i will get straight on it today.RegardsMark