Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

Would a new GFX card help?

Hello to all of you, I recently posted a question regarding perf after buying a new moniter. I went from a 17" moniter with a max res of 1280x1024 to a HD 23" moniter with a max res of 1920x1080. I saw perf. decreases because of the higher pixel draw req. I currently have an i7 920 OCed to 3.6Ghz with 9 G ram at 1600 with the Rampage 11 Gene mobo and a GTX260 nvidia card. If I was to buy the ATI 5870, would I see my perf go back to what it was on the old moniter? Do I need that card? I just want to run my games on my new moniter with the same perf as my old moniter. Would a new GFX card even help with drawing more pixels or am I just out of luck?

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

1080P is not too much to ask of a GTX 260 for MSFS, you likely just need to adjust your graphics settings. Try disabling AC and ground shadows and see if that gives you the performance you desire.

i could do that but its also more for my other games. I have lowered settings in all of them and I would like to go all out....ill wait though until the price drops on that 5870.

Matt kubanda

i could do that but its also more for my other games. I have lowered settings in all of them and I would like to go all out....ill wait though until the price drops on that 5870.
Just for reference: I can run almost every game fully maxed on my Q9550 (3.24GHz) with my GTX285 on 3380x1050. Of course, that's NOT true for FSX :-)

That doesn't seem right, having to lower settings in other games @ 1080P... Are you running Nhancer and forcing SSAA or some other similarly demanding AA mode by any chance?

That doesn't seem right, having to lower settings in other games @ 1080P... Are you running Nhancer and forcing SSAA or some other similarly demanding AA mode by any chance?
I am running Nhancer and I have been playing around with different SSAA and Multi sampling. For reference, If none of you guiys used FSX, what would your AA setting be? Throw NickN's guide out of the window. FS doesnt exist. lol I just want a starting point. I have no idea how much stress these different AA settings put on my GPU.

Matt kubanda

I personally do not use Nhancer. I find most of the games I play provide sufficient quality options. If not, I use NV's driver control panel and setup an app profile. Try good old 4x MSAA and see what results you get.

I personally do not use Nhancer. I find most of the games I play provide sufficient quality options. If not, I use NV's driver control panel and setup an app profile. Try good old 4x MSAA and see what results you get.
will do, thanks for the help.

Matt kubanda

Hello to all of you, I recently posted a question regarding perf after buying a new moniter. I went from a 17" moniter with a max res of 1280x1024 to a HD 23" moniter with a max res of 1920x1080. I saw perf. decreases because of the higher pixel draw req. I currently have an i7 920 OCed to 3.6Ghz with 9 G ram at 1600 with the Rampage 11 Gene mobo and a GTX260 nvidia card. If I was to buy the ATI 5870, would I see my perf go back to what it was on the old moniter? Do I need that card? I just want to run my games on my new moniter with the same perf as my old moniter. Would a new GFX card even help with drawing more pixels or am I just out of luck?
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-260-review/15

Guest SK8TRBOI747

Oh Man - get the card!FSX performance turns out to be quite bandwidth limited (between cpu and vid card) than anything else. Now, with your i7 920, you HAVE the bandwidth! And then some! So yes, in your particular circumstances and hardware, the highest-flying (darn, punned again) vid card will actually be put to full use on your system. Heck it could handle TWO of 'em!Cheers!