Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Anyway to adjust the VC panel lights?

There is an issue that has been bugging me with the E-Jets 170 and 190. It seems that in the VC when you turn on the cockpit lights the knob will click on but they wont display until it is basically night time. The issue is that during the later part of dusk the VC is too dark and it is hard to see in the VC. Then on the reverse at night time if you turn the switch to turn off the VC cockpit light they wont go off until the a/c is powered down. Its frustrating not to have control of the lights. I just got the Capt Sim 727 a month ago when it was on sale and even in it when you turn on the dome or cockpit lights at dusk they will actually go on.I am interested to know if there is an aircraft cfg panel edit or something to that effect that I can adjust so that the VC night textures will display earlier in the day rather than having to wait until night to turn them on.Thanks in advance for any help.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There is an issue that has been bugging me with the E-Jets 170 and 190. It seems that in the VC when you turn on the cockpit lights the knob will click on but they wont display until it is basically night time. The issue is that during the later part of dusk the VC is too dark and it is hard to see in the VC. Then on the reverse at night time if you turn the switch to turn off the VC cockpit light they wont go off until the a/c is powered down. Its frustrating not to have control of the lights. I just got the Capt Sim 727 a month ago when it was on sale and even in it when you turn on the dome or cockpit lights at dusk they will actually go on.I am interested to know if there is an aircraft cfg panel edit or something to that effect that I can adjust so that the VC night textures will display earlier in the day rather than having to wait until night to turn them on.Thanks in advance for any help.
For the most part you can't do anything about the lighting. It depends on how the developer designed the aircraft.Thanks to the sloppy lighting techniques used in FSX we are at a big disadvantage.However, sometimes we can trick the system or just be lucky by making a change to the 'aircraft.cfg' file in the following section ...[LIGHTS]//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobes, 3=Navigation, 4=Cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=Logo, 10 cabinlight.0 = 3, -2.76, -18.11, 2.97, fx_navredlight.1 = 3, -2.78, 18.11, 2.95, fx_navgrelight.2 = 2, -3.13, -18.31, 2.95, fx_strobelight.3 = 2, -3.11, 18.31, 2.95, fx_strobelight.4 = 1, -20.51, 0.00, 6.20, fx_beacon//light.5 = 4, -2.27, 0.00, 1.45, fx_vclightSometimes changing, deleting or adding the light line for the cockpit using the following file 'fx_vclight' or some other file of same type can make a difference.Futz with it and maybe you will get lucky.Don't for get to backup the file first.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I will fiddle with it a little. I'm not sure that I want to get a fx light to come on, so much as I want to find a way to get the light mapped or night textures of VC to show up. I guess a dome fx or vclight fx light would be better than nothing though. It amazes me that little things like this make it though a developement cycle then to retail without the developers making it better. Thats one area that PMDG and RealAir never let me down is with the control of the lighting.Regards.

there is an entry you can make to the cfg for vc lights on during the day. I dont have it with me but I can post in for you later this eve. I use it and its great.

there is an entry you can make to the cfg for vc lights on during the day. I dont have it with me but I can post in for you later this eve. I use it and its great.
Thanks Eric that would be great. I will check back later.
here are some other discussing lightinghttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/arch...hp/t-12521.html
Thanks for the link but their site must under repair. This is what is says when I click on the link "re loading/repairing data base".I'll try it again later.

Eric, just a reminder if you can post it when you get a chance.

Guest hmstiger
Eric, just a reminder if you can post it when you get a chance.
If it's Feel There that developed the EJets, and I think it is, they in general do as little as they can get away with when it comes to night lighting. The Legacy and its native FSX replacement have terrible night lighting - a harsh glare from the dome light that cannot be turned off. They call it a "preference" that they chose because they found one picture on Airliners.net of some crew flying with the overhead light on. Probalby a simulator picture with the crew posing for some publicity shots for the airline....The simple fact is they don't want to do the extra panel textures to do a true dark cockpit. Which is a poor choice in my opinion given they charge at the upper end of the pricing scale. PMDG is able to offer dark cockpit. Level D as well. So too the Captain Sim planes. But not Feel There. I don't know one pilot, and I know many, who fly with the dome light on at night. So, I'm not surprised you are having trouble. Feel There does not model a dark cockpit with backlit gagues and panel labels only on any of their planes as far as I can tell. And that is why I don't buy them.

Guest hmstiger
there is no 'FSX native' legacy from feelThere/wilco. the Legacy (a ERJ135; and closely related to the ERJ v1) is an FS9 aircraft ported to work in FSX.--
I know this - but I am pretty sure that the ERJ V2 is a native FSX product. And it has only one night light setting - dome light on. Yes, the guages and panel labels are backlighted, but you cannot get to a dark cockpit. Bit of a shame. I would have enjoyed having a short hop commercial jet in the stable.

Guest 413X3

I agree. The VC is unflyable at night without an option for just gauge backlighting. I have no idea how developers don't understand this, especially since FSX has moved almost all to a VC only flying experience.

I agree. The VC is unflyable at night without an option for just gauge backlighting. I have no idea how developers don't understand this, especially since FSX has moved almost all to a VC only flying experience.
Beats the heck out me too! Especially seeing as how once I cracked the mystery that was known only a very select few, I posted full details on how to accomplish emissive backlighting......almost seven years ago! :( Shortly after FSX was released, MS/ACES asked me to update my original article to explain the new method(s), as well as how to integrate the previous FS8/9 "system" into FSX. :( It appears to me that too many still consider the outside model to be of primary importance, treat the VC like an afterthought, and give hardly any consideration at all to lighting!Nearly all of my projects begin with the VC and gauge/panel system, then progress to the rest of the model. The reasoning for this approach is sound, because mistakes in planning are very difficult to "fix" later, after most of the modeling is locked down.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Guest 413X3
:( :( ... --
You know while you have a point, so does he. There is absolutely no excuse for developers who charge in excess of 30-40 USD for a fsx airplane to lack such basic features. It is aggravating when it ruins the experience and I cannot fly an expensive addon that cost more than fsx at night because of the poor lighting.