Sign in to follow this  
Guest FsFlyer

Would buying a SSD drive boost FSX performence ?

Guest FsFlyer

HiWould buying a SSD drive boost FSX performence ??

Anyone done tests?

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

The FPS rate remains unchanged.Since I installed my FSX on a good SSD, the sim runs more fluid and smooth. The textures are always immediately sharp. There are no blurried textures any more. I highly recommend a good SSD for the FSX. :(

Best regards from RelaxX

Anyone done tests?
I use a 160 GB Intel X-25M SSD for my FS drive. FSX loads in ~20 sec vs 3 min from a 10,000 RPM 300Gb WD Velociraptor with the exact same configuration mirrored on it. I also note that I almost never see stutters when turning on the ground or in close proximity to dense autogen scenery.FPS are largely unaffected.Was it worth it? I think so.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

On my computer the SSD resulted in a bit quicker loading times. That's it and that's all. I don't notice any difference while flying. Nothing at all.

Guest ziporama

SSDs will have much faster read times over the antiquated, dare I say, so passe' spin type storage device circa 2009 :) From what I read, SSDs makes quite the difference overall on the system, especially system boot time and when loading lots of data, so scenery and textures will load quite a bit better on an SSD drive. Think of the benefits of old ramdisks of way back when (except now if the power goes out, the data doesn't go poof). Keep in mind though that there are limits to bandwidth available depending on the interfaces you have. It appears the bottleneck is not so much the drive, it's the interface capacity. SSD manufacturers are working hard on boosting the interface speed as the devices are capable of sustained transfers that can max out current pipes. You should still realize significant difference overall in I/O over a regular hard disk.I have that on my definite buy list when prices get a bit more reasonable, as my Barracuda drive does quite nicely at the moment with its large cache and capacity.Cheers

Recently I had the chance to test a ssd drive for FSX.The loading times where quicker, but no difference in fps or fluidness.When looking at my disk led it lights up when loading FSX and then once every X seconds when flying.The 32mb cache drives are, imho, fast enough for FSX.Perhaps when faster boards will be released in the future it will make a difference.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

For some interesting comments, read driveguru and c627627's posts in this thread:It's a good read..http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthr...5403&page=2

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I also luv my SSD. The biggest benefit for me is that after all these years I don't have to listen to a (analog) HD cranking away. I won't ever go back. jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I said the SSD doesn't do much for FSX, apart from starting up quicker, but that doesn't mean I don't like it: I also will not ever buy a regular hard disk again. I got Windows 7 on my SSD and also (dual boot) on my 'old' SpinPoint. W7 on the SSD is QUICK, responsive, a joy to work with: whenever I start the old system up, I am surprised at how long it takes before I can enter my password en before the desktop appears. Okay, it's all about seconds, not minutes, but the SDD feels fresh and quick so... if my old HD has to be replaced, I will get a SSD instead! Even though they are smaller and cost more. My hard disk days are over.

I beauty of an SSD is never having to defrag FSX again and not suffer any FSX performance degradation due to file fragmentation. It used to take me up to 3/4 of an hour to do a full "Name" defrag on my FGX partition. I agree that there is no perceived performance gain over a Velociraptor but you won't get performance degradation due to fragmentation over time with an SSD.Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

I'll add to the choir. I have seen no FSX performance improvement on replacing 2x150 GB Raptors with 1x 256 GB SSD. Only load times have reduced. However, one additional advantage worth highlighting is that power consumption and heat are way down, so that system fan noise is substantially reduced.Overall, is it worth upgrading? In a word: No.At least, not at current retail prices.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals