Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

Fixing FS2004 stutters

Guest Tim W

Monty,Totally agree with Bruce here. Your system is more than adequate for running FS9. I would suggest you 1)Go to the www.creative.com and download the latest Audigy soundcard drivers and install.2)Go to www.nvidia.com and install the 44.03 WQHL video drivers3) see if there is not a definite improvement.Bet there is.RegardsTim http://www.cambridgeflyingclub.com/images/timavatar2.jpg

Thanks for the reply guys; I upgraded my audio driver immediately when I saw the sound problem, it helped a little but did not completely solve the problem. My original drivers were the 43.03 then I updated to 44.67 on advice in another forum topic. I noticed some improvement by disabling Antialising in my windows display settings and also in the game, it did buy me some time before the problems started. I think I will uninstall and start from scratch. Thanks again.Monty

Guest jabberthecat

>"I'm running 98SE... ... I limit my vcache so the 98 O/S doesn't run away and grab RAM for that purpose."John,I also am running 98SE and am battling stuttering. Would you mindsharing you setting since you have appeared to managed the stutters successfully.I have a Anthon 2000 (1.67), GF4-ti4600, 512Ram.I am running AF 4 tap but have turned of Anti-Ansl for now.What are you Virtual Memory settings : I have tried 100 MB and 500MB How about VCACHE - my Min/Max is 64MBI am also expermenting with my Bios AGP setting - trying 16 MB and will soon try 128 MB. My AGP Texture Acceleration is off for the moment.So far off AA and running in 1600x900 has helped the most, but I am hoping for a better solution.- Thank you if you can share anything. Myles

Guest wathomas777

I've tried upgrading to XP pro, and it didn't help, in fact it actually slowed the sim down for me. Of course I don't have 512 Meg either. When I buy a new computer I will put XP on it and hope it works.In the meantime, I get consistent 15 to 20FPS in FS2002 and will be using that until I purchase my new machine.

Myles,My system isn't much different from yours in terms of CPU and memory, and FS9 runs pretty smooth (aside from some cockpit panel problems related to the FX5900 vid card).In system.ini:[vcache]MinFileCache=4096MaxFileCache=16384My Virtual Mem:Min: 512MBMax: 1024MBOn the AGP Aperture settings: There seems to be a sweet spot - too low is no good and too high can be bad as well. On my previous motherboard, 256 seemed to be the best setting. On my current, anything above 64 causes problems (as in not even booting).Nevertheless, I'd try 64 as a minimum - only increase if it helps with your fps and smoothness.

Guest jabberthecat

Thanks for the info. It looks like I found my problem ( see my recent post ) - I did it to myself by putting in too a highnumber it the TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS. I have my AGP ap = 64 now.Thanks for the settings.- Myles

>After installing FS2004 on a lowly P3-800 with WinXP Pro and>256mb DIMM, the sim does not have the progressive stutters,>but still exhibits the 2 sec freeze when updating the>weather.>>It appears it's not necessarily the amount of memory that's>the problem, but the operating system. WinME seems to have a>problem with memory management. I've monitored the memory>usage on WinXP vs. WinME when using FS2004 and WinME is not>only depleting the memory pool faster than XP, but it's not>releasing it!!>>I added MemoryMax (freeware tool) to the WinME system and>while FS is running, I've recovered the used memory from the>heap. The sim again runs smoothly after the memory is>recovered.>>The max memory usable on WinME is 512mb, so it appears FS2004>is going to make all the holdouts step up to WinXP for better>performance.>>For those people running WinME with 256mb or less, be prepared>for some issues when using FS2004.>>BruceFound Memory Max but it isn't freeware. At least the sites I've visited don't say so. Want $24.95 (US) for the program.Shame......could use help managing my memory too.Too cheap though.