Sign in to follow this  
Guest stymieho

Starting Over Section

Guest stymieho

I had a hard drive failure on my flying PC. The PC Im on now was used for FS98 and just simply doesnt have the wherewithall to handle FS2004 or FSX. Now I have my new Hard Drive installed. What now?Wouldnt it be cool to have a library section specific to this circumstance, which nearly everyone goes through at some point?We need a section for each FS version that has the Update files, Patch files, Bridge files, most commonly used utilities, etc. all in one place. You know, the crap that everyone has to search for anyways is found all in one section. You can call it the FS Starting Over section, or something more clever. Is this just me being lazy or forgetful? OR is this actually an idea worth exploring?Chris

I had a hard drive failure on my flying PC. The PC Im on now was used for FS98 and just simply doesnt have the wherewithall to handle FS2004 or FSX. Now I have my new Hard Drive installed. What now?Wouldnt it be cool to have a library section specific to this circumstance, which nearly everyone goes through at some point?We need a section for each FS version that has the Update files, Patch files, Bridge files, most commonly used utilities, etc. all in one place. You know, the crap that everyone has to search for anyways is found all in one section. You can call it the FS Starting Over section, or something more clever. Is this just me being lazy or forgetful? OR is this actually an idea worth exploring?Chris
Hi Chris-Yes starting over does instill fear in some people, but look at it this way... you are starting fresh! So what are you thinking? Seems like you updated your HD, what other hardware have you got to run FS, if it is old and outdated why not consider a new computer with a 64bit OS... I have read that W7 with a i7 CPU runs FSX beautifully and you can finally upgrade to FSX, actually with all the great addons FS9 looks sweet right now as well, your choice.Looks like you have time to do some investigating. I have made a list of all my addons and the updates that apply to them so keeping track of my updates is simple and I pay for my service with regards to reinstalling FSX and addons along with running particular utilities and proper tuning of the system and find that it is worth the price. There is a great post on how to set FSX up which is done by a fellow named NickN http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041 have a good read of that. Good luck.

\Robert Hamlich/