Sign in to follow this  
Guest RSmith

Fs 2004 Installation and Tips

Hi, For saving your time and problems with the upcomming month trying and finding solution about fs2004.-Installing fs2004 with Windows Me, you will get poor performance and tons of stutters. Windows Me have problems with bad memory issues/bad headaches by default, you can trying by fixing this, by adding more ram and use the the DirectX.cpl, by reducing the sound accelerator to the complete left, this can disable some stutter on some sound card type. Available here: http://www.3dcenter.de/downloads/directx-9...ntrol-panel.php-HARDLY recommended to use Windows Xp 512 Ram min; win2k updated and win98SE updated are good also.-Defrag your computer before the installation or install it on a fresh new system to be sure you don`t have corruption with some old driver or others things transparent.-Normal slider value scenery/autogen in fs2004, is the max slider in fs2002, be aware of this specialy on lower system.-Do not use the Antialasing built in fs2004, you will get too much frame drop, use an external tweaker or in your driver display setting, see the AA, I recommend to use AA 2x on mid system and lower.-To get better graphics from far, in the fs9.cfg set these:TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.50000Use an tweaker and set the anasotropy LOD - level-Leaving the MIP Mapping slider to 4 , is the default setting, each time you get your slider to the right, you frame rate drop, if you are using a tweaking, I leave the slider like the default to 4.-To get your runways configs add these line under fs9.cfg display:[DISPLAY]RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales edge, center,end,touchdown,runwaysRUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0 // scales VASI lights) les 4 enlignerRUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0 // scales approach light bars RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales RAILs and ODALs)If you don't want to see everytime the fs2004 screen menu but you want to go direct to your default flight and ready to fly, in fs9.cfg[sTARTUP]DEMO=0LOADSIM=1LOADWINDOW=1SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1 <-------------------- 0-There is some more stutters with the ATI 9800 Pro than a GeForce 4TI, but you will have more fps, because of the drivers, maybe they will be fixed on newer drivers.-You will get stutters (frame rate drop, (not pausing) when you overdone your slider/details to your system capability like fs2002 at that`s time of the release.-If you want to run fs2004 to most slider to right, get at least a P4 2,53GHZ 533Mhz, gforce 4TI 4200 128 meg, 512/1024 Ram-If you want to run fs2004 at a higher frame rate with all full slider to right, get the latest system in the market.-If you want to run fs2004 at a higher constant frame rate level with all slider to full, the system is not available yet in the market, like the higher system for fs2002 was not available at his release date.On Lower system, you will have to mix your slider to high/mid/low/disabled, it's really depend on your preference feature you want to see.In genreal fs2004 run like fs2002 except for the weather and autogen and some scenery area, autogen and weather are triple or more of the amount compare to fs2002, USE the slider, -Normal slider value scenery/autogen in fs2004, is the max slider in fs2002, be aware of this specialy on lower system.-The scenery is more dense compare to fs2002, reduce it also.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest Speedbird1

"If you want to run fs2004 at a higher constant frame rate level with all slider to full, the system is not available yet in the market, like the higher system for fs2002 was not available at his release date" :-lol :-lol Chris, during your beta testing for 2004 do you know what the REAL situation is with FX5900 video card compatibility and did it show any problems to your knowledge.

Thanks for the tips Chris,In addition, inside the FS9.CFG file, you can disable the brake message (like in FS2002) by going to the [ SIM ] section and entering:[ SIM ]SYSCLOCK=1show_brake_message=0 <----- add this lineThe ShowLogo=0 does not work in FS9.Also, is there a way to change the imposter cloud bitmap? The imposter clouds seem to have a neon grey glow around the outer edges. They have a very unnatural look. I'm running a slower system and can't use 3D clouds in the distance so I rely heavily on the imposter clouds. I'm hoping you can improve the FS9 imposter clouds as you did with FS2K clouds.Bruce

Guest Coneman

Chris, are you saying you highly recommend Windows XP?Todd

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Chris:I do not understand your position. So far you've been the MS defender, saying how perfectly perfect FS2004 was, and telling us how perfect it ran and how if you got any stutters it was YOUR fault, not the sim's. Right now you're basically backing off those arguments you made before, and in my eyes, trying to save face for when we all get FS2004 and see the REAL results... I don't know. If I have to tune down half my sliders to enjoy FS2004 like I did 2002, then the performance is not smoother as you have repeatedly said in the past. Also, your comments about it working poorly with Me and slowlt with XP are basically telling me it's unsteady on later OS's? That's pretty scary. Do clarify.Cheers,Daniel P.

From the context, I'm assuming Chris meantHEARTILY recommend windows xp...notHARDLY recommend windows xp...

Guest PaulL01

>If I have to tune down half my>sliders to enjoy FS2004 like I did 2002, then the performance>is not smoother as you have repeatedly said in the past. Daniel,Go add all the extras that FS2k4 has to FS2k2 and you would still expect it to run as it does now? :-lolWhat planet are we on?

Hi Bruce, I'm running a slower system and can't use 3D clouds in the distance so I rely heavily on the imposter clouds. I'm hoping you can improve the FS9 imposter clouds as you did with FS2K clouds.I will see, but the problem is gone when you use the distant clouds near the half or aboveOk I think we are not talking about the same things or you talking about ShowLogo=0..just to be sure, I was talking about these, it's works in my sustem windows xp, be sure you don't have two fs9.cfg[sTARTUP]SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=0 <--------ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hi Bruce, I'm running a slower system and can't use 3D clouds in the distance so I rely heavily on the imposter clouds. I'm hoping you can improve the FS9 imposter clouds as you did with FS2K clouds.I will see, but the problem is gone when you use the distant clouds near the half or aboveOk I think we are not talking about the same things or you talking about ShowLogo=0..just to be sure, I was talking about these, it's works in my system windows xp, be sure you don't have two fs9.cfg[sTARTUP]SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=0 <--------ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hi Daniel,"""If I have to tune down half my sliders to enjoy FS2004 like I did 2002, then the performance is not smoother as you have repeatedly said in the past. """""I have always said with my newer system P4 2.53 GHZ, 512 ram, windows xp, gforceTI 128 meg 8x, asus p4p800 533 mhz, I can run it almost at full with no lost of new fs2004 feature added.-If your system is similar to mine, you won't lose any major details in fs2004 at all, almost all to full, locked to 20 fps.-Lower end system will have to reduce details yes, augoten, scenery and weather depend from their preference. ""Also, your comments about it working poorly with Me and slowlt with XP are basically telling me it's unsteady on later OS's? That's pretty scary. Do clarify."'It's only WinMe have some trouble, the others OS are fine.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Excuse me, but several people said it would run as good IF NOT BETTER than FS2002 does. So we're in the planet we've been told we're on. :-lolCheers,Daniel P.

Chris,There are 3 separate commands we are talking about:1> Show_Opening_Screen= This determines whether the sim goes to the default airport immediately on startup or if the selection screen appears where the user determines the starting configuration.2> Show_Brake_Message= This works the same as FS2002. Either the brake message is displayed or it's hidden.3> ShowLogo= In FS2002, this switch disabled/enabled the opening graphic from showing on the screen (not the starting configuration screen). The program skips to the bar graph showing the program loading. This switch does not work in FS9.I hope this clears up the postings. We are talking about separate switch commands.Bruce