Sign in to follow this  
Guest RSmith

Fs 2004 Installation and Tips

Hey CrisIm collecting all the tips and was wondering about your runway entries in the config. What do they do?BobG

Hi, "Im collecting all the tips and was wondering about your runway entries in the config. What do they do?`They control the size of of the runways lights etc, more the value are higher , more the light will be bigger, 1.0 is default, or 0.5, 0.005 for lower size etc.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest Boone

I would also like a confirmation that you meant to say;HEARTILY recommend windows xp...notHARDLY recommend windows xp........?Best Regards,Boone

Thanks Chris, we appricate your tips. I don't have FS4 yet but am building a tips folder when I do receive it. Thanks much! Erv Moore

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.

>-Normal slider value scenery/autogen in fs2004, is the max>slider in fs2002, be aware of this specialy on lower system.Hi Chris,It looks like I will be running fs2004 with normal slider values. Will I still get the 3d clouds running fs2004 at this setting?Thanks for the tips!- Kenny B

>Excuse me, but several people said it would run as good IF>NOT BETTER than FS2002 does. So we're in the planet we've been>told we're on. :-lol>WITH THE SAME level of details... Have you been selectively reading what you wanted to read or selectively quoting to give a false impression?

Guest RSmith

Chris, "Ditto's" from Florida. Informative post, very helpful, I've printed & saved. Hope more folks can follow Chris's style and help with posts like this. As our sims get more complicated with higher end machines in use, sure is nice having experience help & guide the rest of us. Not a "pirate" yet, just scouting for my reserve release date..... RonP4 2.8ATI9700Pro1281meg PC2700DDR SDRAMP4PEAudigy

First,l thanks for your tips!Now, to clarify, are your setting recommendations based on the gold retail copy or a beta copy which might have had performance slowing (mostly ram hogging) debugging code buit in.

Hi, "recommendations based on the gold retail copy"Fs2004 GOLD version Testing.Add these:-Multimonitor, I never use that's, I saw some problem in this, but they may be used with another way, I can't comment on that's, never used, some others used yes.-Multiplayer have some issue-Some issue on ATI driver lower card , but not the ATI/Gforce3, 4 newer card that's are the most used and with the updaded drivers cards. For the ATI that's hav problem, you will have to check their web site for the updated drivers.-ATI have some more stutter then gforce card, because of their drivers again.-Fs2004 with Windows Me problem, stutters by default setting etc.-To fix the problem with the Gforce FX line, get the latest driver available 44.67 or newer version, this will fix this, there is a news links buttons available in the fs2004 section area, for update reports should be released at 31 july at Nvidia, or go to for beta drivers 44.67 www.guru3d.com http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/25707.jpgThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest Joshieca

Chris,What do the following changes do in the sim...-To get your runways configs add these line under fs9.cfg display:RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales edge, center,end,touchdown,runwaysRUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0 // scales VASI lights) les 4 enlignerRUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0 // scales approach light bars RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales RAILs and ODALs)Thanks...JDR

Thanks Chris for all the info..There are many other tips too concerning FS2004 like how to use FSedit from Fs2002 to edit aircraft.cfg files (Flight modelling), or how to use FS Panel Studio based on FS2002 for FS2004.. some are cumbersome workarounds until the 3rd party guys get there fixes in for the new version, but they still work. Let me also add that editing the aircraft.cfg files will be a popular topic, since the flight modelling on some of the default FS2004 aircraft definately need some fundamental tweaking. Dissapointed with the Beta testing in this area I must say. However, the sim itself is FANTASTIC!!.. I challenge anyone to master the twin ADF first time correctly.I will have a lot of DC-3 add-ons/enhancements that I am currently finishing up soon to be released.Regards Trev.Visit 'The DC-3 Hangar'http://www.douglasdc3.comhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/25704.jpg

Hi JDR, """What do the following changes do in the sim...-To get your runways configs add these line under fs9.cfg display:RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales edge, center,end,touchdown,runwaysRUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0 // scales VASI lights)RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0 // scales approach light bars RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales RAILs and ODALs)""""""They control the size of the,center,end,touchdown, runways,lights,scales VASI lights , scales approach light bars , scales RAILs and ODALsMore the value are higher, more the light size will be bigger, more the value is lower, more the light size will be reduced, 1.0 is default, or 0.5, 0.005 for lower size etc.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest JonP01

>-Normal slider value scenery/autogen in fs2004, is the max>slider in fs2002, be aware of this specialy on lower system.Hi Chris,Where does this leave those people who used to run FS2002 with the autogen and scenery sliders at "sparse"? It sounds to me like the lowest level of scenery / autogen density available in FS2004 is equivalent to the "normal" settings in FS2002. If this is the case, people who used to run FS2002 at "sparse" or even lower might have to think twice about buying FS2004.