Sign in to follow this  
Guest RSmith

Fs 2004 Installation and Tips

With my system (see specs below), the autogen density doesn't afect framerate (locked at 21), neither in cruise nor aproach/land, I can set it to extremely dense or none at all ad allways get my 21 fps and the same goes for scenery complexity.The big frame rate busters are mesh, shadows, efects, reflections,ai, clowds, and terrai detail. It's a mather of personal taste, I go for fluidity, some go for eye candy, all in all I'm sure MS has made and extesive list of items one could (and should) tweak in order to obtain the desired type of performace. It doesn't seem to exist so far a system that can run fs2004 MAXED out at an heavenly 60fps ;)Here is my low end computer (by today's standarts): :(ASUS A7V266-E (raid)ATHLON XP 1700+ OC @1540 mhz1GB DDR 333Gforce4 Ti4200 (128 DDR) seagate 7200.7 barracuda 80Gb+40GbCreative audigyCambridge soundworks MICROWORKS (huge subwoofer) :-bigangelPilips 107E 17' monitorprinter scaner dvd, cd-rw, mouse....All of this in a very well maintained and tweaked windows XP home SP1 + all the updates inc. dx9bnetworked to an AMD K6II 500 mhz 256 mb pc133 40Gb geforce2 mx 32mbwindows 98

Chris,I have a few issues with FS9 (not complaining). I thought you might have some ideas, the folling is my major concern. Sometimes my sound will quit,then I change it to medium or low and it comes back on, then after a time I can raise it back to high and it works ok. Also if I change aircraft without exiting Flight Simulator, after awhile I lose the textures on all aircraft, they just turn grey (AI aircraft Too), also the VC texture turns gray. When I look at my memory it is usually down to 15% or lower, but my frame rate is at 15-35. This also happens sometimes with over 400 mb Ram remaining. I am probably running at about 75% of what FS9 is capable of with the slider positions. In another thread you made mention of MemMax, does that program really make a difference? I thought I might have a memory leak somehow. I have tried the above with FS9 default settings, it takes longer but with the same results.I have made one complete flight with the LearJet Kral to Kphx without any problems but I went to the VC and stayed there for the complete flight.MontyDell 82002.53 Ghz CPU1024 Mb RD800 RamGf4 Ti 4600 Video (Driver 4467) Viewsonic 21" VP211b Flat Panel MonitorAudigy Sound (Latest Drivers)Seagate X15 15000 RPM 37 Gb SCSI Hard Drive (Dedicated to FS9)Windows XP Pro