Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

A few questions before I buy

I have been thinking about getting RC for some time now and have a few questions. 1) After I download it is it true that I wont be able to use it untill I get a key of some sort from RC? If so how long does that take and why is it not included when the product is purchased?2) What is the number 1 thing you like about RC?3) What is the number 1 thing you dis-like about RC?4) Having the need for a 200+ page manual for a ATC add-on kind of scares me especially when comming from default FSX ATC where all you do more or less is follow its instructions. I understand a large manual for a complex aircraft but ATC? Will the complexity make me not want to use it or is it the kind of thing thing that draws you in to want to learn more about it?Any comments are appreciated and welcome

Jim Wenham

I have been thinking about getting RC for some time now and have a few questions. 1) After I download it is it true that I wont be able to use it untill I get a key of some sort from RC? If so how long does that take and why is it not included when the product is purchased?2) What is the number 1 thing you like about RC?3) What is the number 1 thing you dis-like about RC?4) Having the need for a 200+ page manual for a ATC add-on kind of scares me especially when comming from default FSX ATC where all you do more or less is follow its instructions. I understand a large manual for a complex aircraft but ATC? Will the complexity make me not want to use it or is it the kind of thing thing that draws you in to want to learn more about it?Any comments are appreciated and welcome
1) if you send the key request from the email account you enter at the time of purchase, with the subject line of "RCv4 Key Request", and you send it to register@jdtllc.com, and in the body of the email, you put the product id from the registration screen and your name, seperated by exclamation points (1234 ! john ! dekker) - you will have your key within 10 minutes.4) the manual is broken down into sections, some may be of interest, some may not. there are critical and important things you have to know, and those are spelled out in detail. like transition altitude and transition level, what a crossing restriction is, etc. much of the manual is dedicated to 9 tutorials, which take you through the learning curve.

This question is best answered over a cup of tea or a beer in a quiet environment.Sadly We are too far apart for this.There are many from the development team who will probably respond far better than I can but I am a fairly typical user I think1.Yes but it's a quick response from my experience,and I've had to do it a few times due to the occasional hardware change2.It is vastly better than the basic ATC(I use FS9 mainly but have FSX as well)3.Just a few minor niggles.Many of which will be changed in the upcoming V5 I'm told4.This is the tricky one.It depends on how immersed you want to be.Sightseeeing type flights round the Alps or Rockies and it is probably not for you.If you want to simulate IFR flights along airways into complex control zones with much traffic and in poor weather then it's really rather good.I'm a PPL with many airline pilot friends.I am fully immersed in this aspect.I have been lucky enough to sit in 737s 747s and the like for whole flights.I have sat in Control Towers and en route control centres and am immersed in this too.Yes it is complex especially if you are starting from scratch.ATC is a complex matter.Unless I'm zooming around in my Spitfire or testing my eyeball nav skills in a Cherokee I always have RC4 in action.I rarely state this if I'm posting in here but I'm looking forward to V5.The team are trying very hard to make it as real as it gets.

As a new user - bought it over the past weekend - I love it.1. Not long. Because that's how they do it, I guess. You download it from the download host but RC has to provide the key so there are two separate things going on.2. It's real! I used to fly and have never been happy with FS ATC (although it's gotten better as time went on from FS 5.1 <G>). VATSIM has issues such as onece you start a flight you really need to finish and sometimes there are no controllers. So I've gone solo pretty much. RC brings the fun back. I've found I need to actually get out airport charts and be ready to use them since there is no progressive taxi and I need to be prepared for approaches.3. I really haven't found anything yet. Well, maybe when I hit the quit button I wish it would just stop running and not close RC since I might want to load another plan.4. Be very glad there is a manual in this day of no manuals. You don't have to read it all as it's organized so you can read the important stuff quickly and come back to the rest later. I find it a handy in that most of the time my questions are answered in the guide and I don't have to email support or post here which means RC can spend more time working on V5!In short - it's well worth the investment. I held off buying products like this for many years but some fellow pilots at the VA I fly for really liked it and I wanted real ATC.

As a new user - bought it over the past weekend - I love it.1. Not long. Because that's how they do it, I guess. You download it from the download host but RC has to provide the key so there are two separate things going on.2. It's real! I used to fly and have never been happy with FS ATC (although it's gotten better as time went on from FS 5.1 <G>). VATSIM has issues such as onece you start a flight you really need to finish and sometimes there are no controllers. So I've gone solo pretty much. RC brings the fun back. I've found I need to actually get out airport charts and be ready to use them since there is no progressive taxi and I need to be prepared for approaches.3. I really haven't found anything yet. Well, maybe when I hit the quit button I wish it would just stop running and not close RC since I might want to load another plan.4. Be very glad there is a manual in this day of no manuals. You don't have to read it all as it's organized so you can read the important stuff quickly and come back to the rest later. I find it a handy in that most of the time my questions are answered in the guide and I don't have to email support or post here which means RC can spend more time working on V5!In short - it's well worth the investment. I held off buying products like this for many years but some fellow pilots at the VA I fly for really liked it and I wanted real ATC.
Thanks for all the info guys! I just finished the download and am about to go about installing it. I will post back my experience.

Jim Wenham

Thanks for all the info guys! I just finished the download and am about to go about installing it. I will post back my experience.
it's going to be a problem, getting through your mindspring spam filter/blocker. the keys are bouncing backyour key is Success @ 1/16/2010 1:43:13 PM (1214162166) OGMKEJGNHBHGJNMBAGEGLKKMGJNLDIJJ

it's going to be a problem, getting through your mindspring spam filter/blocker. the keys are bouncing backyour key is Success @ 1/16/2010 1:43:13 PM (1214162166) OGMKEJGNHBHGJNMBAGEGLKKMGJNLDIJJ
Thanks, I did get it. Now that I have you in my address book they wont be blocked anymore. Thanks again for the quick response.

Jim Wenham

Wanted to update my experience so far. Bought/downloaded RC and got my key code in less than 10 min as promised. Installed, had a few things to figure out and read, and I have just finished one of the best flights I have had from KSAN-KOAK. I love that I am not CONSTANTLY having to bounce around radio frequencies with no rhyme or reason, can fly SID/STAR's if I want to,ect ect. I especially like that I no longer have to fly a 20+ mile approach at 2500' before landing and it is now more realistic. Now I can really start using my subscription to NAVIGRAPH the way it was meant to be used. I think this is the first add-on I have installed with the exception of GEX that I didnt have some sort of update or install issue.Great job on this guys! Awsome product and Im mad I didnt get it sooner. Now if you will excuse me, I just heard my boarding call. :( :( :( B) B)

Jim Wenham

I am nothing to do with the RC team but it's good to read that last post.It sounds as if you use FS like I do and you've reminded me to get some more credit with Navigraph

I'm pleased jwenham is pleased with RC4. For those of us on the development team to give reasons why you should buy it does not carry as much weight as customers' opinions. We're not on JD's payroll of course but independent praise is always best. :(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather