Sign in to follow this  
SKLYF

FSDS 3.51 Mouse performance question

I have recently upgraded to a laptop from a PC with 1280 X 1024 screen resolution and a A-open optical PS2 mouse. Now I have a 1280 X 800 dpi screen and a Lexma 229 (900 dpi) optical USB mouse. I feel the mouse is not performing as the previous setup did in FSDS 3.51. The mouse is not as fine as before. I found the following explanation wrt mouse dpi: "DPI is dot's per inch how ever what this actually means in regards to mice vs monitors is very different in monitors this is how many dots are actually on the screen that the computer can make use of to display the picture the higher the number the more detailed the computer can be in making an image how ever just because a screen can handle more detail doesnt always mean the computer will give it as the detail would have to come from some where and at some point the computer is giving all the detail it can DPI also can make it so programs don't display correctly (one of the things being fixed in longhorn), like you can have 1 program thats made for a low resolution such as 800x600. But you're running at a high resolution like 1600x1200, that program will show up on your screen in a much smaller size, and may be unreadable due to that. So higher dpi lets you do more since you have a larger amount of available work room on screen. For mice it means how many points in a square-inch you can get a click off at. Higher dpi with mice is always better. not so a high dpi mouse will move the mouse pointer on the screen further for the same movement of the physical mouse on the desk compared to a lower dpi mouse but at some point if you keep going up on the dpi even the smallest motion will make the pointer move to far to be useful you have to find a balance point which is why mouse software now allows you to change a mouse's dpi as a setting a lower dpi means more accurate movement but also slower movement higher dpi means faster movement its up to you to find what is the right balance point for your self because while i like my high DPI mouse because i have good fine motor control not every one does Basically the same thing. Lets say its optical. How many dots per inch it can read on the surface. The more the dots the more accurate i know it's counter intuitive but this is actually backwards higher dpi on a mouse means faster but less accurate how ever for most the accuracy loss is minimal for most mice out there today and in the event that you actually do get one that's to high for you there is usually a setting to make it lower Thank you very very much, I appreciate your speedy response smiley.gif One last thing... doesn't it also hold some correlation to resolution? I've read some things that mentioned high mouse DPI and high resolutions... Does a high DPI make a big impact on higher resolutions? Or what is the deal. a mouse moves inside the sand box that is your screen on a higher resolution setting this sand box is bigger making the mouse take longer to move across it a higher DPI makes the mouse move faster allowing it to move across it faster." Will I get better accuracy with a higher dpi mouse or should I try for a lower one? Maybe some other user had the same issue before and will be able to give advice.

According to Info on Internet the AOpen O-23G (My previous model) it has a dpi of 800.

Hi JohanIn general, the higher the DPI, the more response the mouse will be to small movements. I use a Microsoft Laser 6000 mouse on a 1920x1080 screen with the acceleration set to full and it only takes a small wrist movement to flick the cursor from one side of the screen to the other. Now, I suspect that it's partly acceleration that may be your problem, especially if you accepted the default settings when installing the mouse. Have you tried playing with the Mouse settings in the Control panel? Especially tab 2 ("Pointer Options")?Also, with mice and keyboards you get what you pay for. If you can, I'd really think about exchanging that mouse for a higher DPI Microsoft or Logitech one.-Dai

I have solved my problem by buying a lower DPI mouse and now it works as before.Now I can move the cursoe in FSDS where I want it first time and not this way and that way for 10 times before I succeed.