Sign in to follow this  
billhuntsman

Serial PCI card that works with Win 7?

I have a PFC throttle quadrant that uses a serial port. When my previous computer died I bought an ASUS 920 i7 computer from Best Buy that has Vista 64. Naturally, it does not come with a serial port. I am about to do a free upgrade to Windows 7 64 and I would like to have them also install a serial port so that I can use my throttle quadrant. It's much better than the plastic stuff.Does anyone know of a PCI serial port card that will work with Windows 7 64 bit? I've tried looking, but I don't know enough about what I'm doing to make much sense of what I've found. I did get the sense that it's hard to find serial ports that work with Vista 64, let alone Win 7. That's why I thought I'd ask here. Thanks a lot.Bill

Look here they do make em, not sure what kind of performance youll get.http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-232MINI.html
I appreciate the help, but I talked to someone from PFC, who makes the throttles, about the serial port issue several months ago and he said that they do no recommend the adapters that go from serial to USB and recommended a PCI serial port card. I don't know the details about why the adapters were not satisfactory.Bill

Bill,It's not hard to find serial ports that work with Vista or Windows 7, the problem is, there is not a PC made anymore that comes with a standard serial port.Here's a link to a good adapter.....not a USB to serial converter it is a PCI Serial Card and best of its cheap. ;)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6-004-_-ProductRegards,Bob

Bill,It's not hard to find serial ports that work with Vista or Windows 7, the problem is, there is not a PC made anymore that comes with a standard serial port.Here's a link to a good adapter.....not a USB to serial converter it is a PCI Serial Card and best of its cheap. ;)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6-004-_-ProductRegards,Bob
Thanks, Bob.