Sign in to follow this  
Guest DomJW

Much Needed 747-400X Repaints.

Guest DomJW

Hi,I've recently noticed that out of the extensive range of liveries available for the PMDG 747-400 for FSX, there are still a few repaints that aren't on there :(And in my opinion, they're very vital repaints for all flight simmers who love and fly this amazing addon. So the repaints that I would LOVE to see available are:Virgin Atlantic New Colours: http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6744825&nseq=18Thai New Colours (purple stripes): http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6754189&nseq=4Singapore Airlines New Colours (with larger titles): http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6735484&nseq=13A renewal of the KLM livery because the wingtips and tail colours on the one available are rather odd: http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6751099&nseq=4If these liveries were available for the 747-400X it would be THE single best addon for any flight simulator. As I've said I adore this addon, everything about it is awesome.So I ask anyone who can repaint this bird, knows someone that could repaint it or knows of a repaint already available for these liveries to do their best. I mean, for me Virgin Atlantic New Colours are a must have for me because I do a lot of Virgin flights and I would like a new repaint that isn't the old one :( The last two are just little qualms of mine but aren't necessary.If anyone has any other requests, please comment below,I hope these repaints can be done because, myself, I can't repaint to save my life :DMany thanks,Dominic Waters

Hi DominicIf this is something like one of the repaints you are after, then after I have tweaked the gold/yellow a little and put the Thai flag on the tail, I will post you a link.Jim Hodkinson

Guest DomJW
Hi DominicIf this is something like one of the repaints you are after, then after I have tweaked the gold/yellow a little and put the Thai flag on the tail, I will post you a link.Jim Hodkinson
Thank you so much, that looks brilliant :)Nice job, if you could post me the link once it's done that would be fantastic!1 down, 3 to go, HAHA :(Dom

Great looking Paint Jim!

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hi DominicI have tweaked the repaint a little, so if you want to take her for a spin then here is the link for the files..http://www.filefront.com/15371237/Thai_01.zipAny problems, or if you want anything changing, just drop me a line and I will try my best to assist.I hope it is the one that you were after, have fun.Jim HodkinsonYou got me again Dan, I REALLY must type faster, and thanks for the complement, but I know that I could still pick up quite a few things about repainting when your tutorial is finalised.

Great paint Jim. And Dan, I think Jim just gave you a hint........BTW...My son has kindly offered to buy me a "paint" program. He thinks Photoshop is too difficult (for me??) (he is a commercial programmer) and said maybe I want something more simple but still does the job. Will any paint program do or is there a definite family of paint programs that do a "better" job? What formats are required to be saved in? Regards

Geoff Bryce

Great paint Jim. And Dan, I think Jim just gave you a hint........BTW...My son has kindly offered to buy me a "paint" program. He thinks Photoshop is too difficult (for me??) (he is a commercial programmer) and said maybe I want something more simple but still does the job. Will any paint program do or is there a definite family of paint programs that do a "better" job? What formats are required to be saved in? Regards
Hahaha, I know, I know trust me. I want nothing more then to post it, you have no idea. It is finished and the delay may build up more hype then it deserves. The problem is, I did the tutorial with references to certain files and pictures. I have emailed and emailed and in 1 case called various people to get permission to use their sources. Since I wrote it, I haven't recieved all the ok's. Some of the ones I didn't get a couple weeks ago, I removed and got others,,, some of which made me rewrite entire sections and give different examples. I also include programs and logo's, font etc... that I needed permission to use.The main thing though is it will be as soon as I get 2 more ok's. If I don't, then I will need to remove two very important pix and have to write a few more pages to substitute :( As far as paint editor, it's hard to say, but I would wait til you do the tutorial. I provide links to trials that are good for 30 days. You will learn photoshop steps needed to do the paints, and also learn a lot about using layers, which is the main thing in any paint kit. Knowing what photoshop can do, I can't recommend anythin but it. It is the king, but there are alternatives. For the tutorial I would do the photoshop trial, and later if you don't think you'd use it that often, then I would say Paint Shop Pro. The main thing is you use a program that allows the use of layers. File types saving doesn't matter much since just about every editor has the available plug-in. I am waiting til Wednesday and if I do not get the ok for 1 file, and some pix I will have a days editing then will make the post :)EDIT: I did finally get the ok from Martin Wright for DXTBmp, and without having that in the tutorial, FS9 users that don't have ImageTool would be hurtin, to the point I would've had to probably remove mention of FS9 altogether. That of course would be bad in many ways, but especially since I just rewrote about 10 pages, just to include it :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

As said previously, Photoshop is the best of them all. But, there is freeware which can do most of what photoshop can, including ALL you need for livery painting. Check these out:http://www.gimp.org/http://www.getpaint.net/Personally, i prefer the first one - there are LOADS of tutorials on how to use it. And, they wont set you back a few hundred quid for an Adobe license!

Thanks Dan, I will wait and see how I cope with your tutorial. I'm not what you would call a "creative-arty" type, more into house building. Be good though to work through your examples. Without pre-empting the tutorial from Dan, it appears like the aircraft is cut up into sections, ( I presume these are available from ?) left right etc and it is these shapes you paint etc from the various pallets of colour and text and lines etc and overlay several pieces of the same part to get the desired effect....anyway, be a new skill to learn, though in Queensland, Australia we don't get winters to stay indoors, mostly in summer to get out of the heat.(it's 11.15 pm and still 31c)Adrian, the links you sent were great. Gimp looks good, and as you say it has LOADS of support and tutorials how to use it.

Geoff Bryce

Thanks Dan, I will wait and see how I cope with your tutorial. I'm not what you would call a "creative-arty" type, more into house building. Be good though to work through your examples. Without pre-empting the tutorial from Dan, it appears like the aircraft is cut up into sections, ( I presume these are available from ?) left right etc and it is these shapes you paint etc from the various pallets of colour and text and lines etc and overlay several pieces of the same part to get the desired effect....anyway, be a new skill to learn, though in Queensland, Australia we don't get winters to stay indoors, mostly in summer to get out of the heat.(it's 11.15 pm and still 31c)Adrian, the links you sent were great. Gimp looks good, and as you say it has LOADS of support and tutorials how to use it.
It is broken down in sections, including some coverage of the freeware Gimp, but is also important to note that it is open code meaning you can expect a lot of leg work to get it running perfect and I wasn't able to get their .dds plugin to work. All in all I liked it, but it has a ways to go yet to be a solid recommendation.The sections cover doing the livery of a FSX PMDG 747-400F Cargolux. I later implemented some useful steps and differences with the MD-11, then even later decided to make it with the needed FS9 steps. FS9 steps took a lot on my end since just to see what I was doing and advice I was giving was as accurate as possible, had to buy FS9 and the MD-11. People already familliar with PS will find that I broke it down into a lot of steps and as the tutorial starts it has a lot more steps than someone use to it would do. The reason for that is to educate people and get them more acquanted with layers and lots of shortcuts that will make their skills really improve. I also made a sample exercise people can download that I think will help a lot of beginners. It starts from the very basics of organization and gathering the require resources to final steps on preparation and the paint itself. Sections include all of the needed ones included in the paint kit, some differences with the paint kits, aircraft, Alpha channels, different methods in saving, Imagetool & DXTBmp etc... There are a few bonus steps also that will shows some advanced ways to get a touch of worn look, making your own templates and some others. The goal is to try and give enough information about working with layers that you are as comfortable as you can be. You might even start making your own paint kits. :(Edit: By the way Adrian, it's funny but my very 1st livery was a 747-400 Iron Maiden. I wish I still had it, but it was years ago and would be very below standards now a days :)

Dan Prunier

It is broken down in sections, including some coverage of the freeware Gimp, but is also important to note that it is open code meaning you can expect a lot of leg work to get it running perfect and I wasn't able to get their .dds plugin to work. All in all I liked it, but it has a ways to go yet to be a solid recommendation.The sections cover doing the livery of a FSX PMDG 747-400F Cargolux. I later implemented some useful steps and differences with the MD-11, then even later decided to make it with the needed FS9 steps. FS9 steps took a lot on my end since just to see what I was doing and advice I was giving was as accurate as possible, had to buy FS9 and the MD-11. People already familliar with PS will find that I broke it down into a lot of steps and as the tutorial starts it has a lot more steps than someone use to it would do. The reason for that is to educate people and get them more acquanted with layers and lots of shortcuts that will make their skills really improve. I also made a sample exercise people can download that I think will help a lot of beginners. It starts from the very basics of organization and gathering the require resources to final steps on preparation and the paint itself. Sections include all of the needed ones included in the paint kit, some differences with the paint kits, aircraft, Alpha channels, different methods in saving, Imagetool & DXTBmp etc... There are a few bonus steps also that will shows some advanced ways to get a touch of worn look, making your own templates and some others. The goal is to try and give enough information about working with layers that you are as comfortable as you can be. You might even start making your own paint kits. :( Edit: By the way Adrian, it's funny but my very 1st livery was a 747-400 Iron Maiden. I wish I still had it, but it was years ago and would be very below standards now a days :)
Dan, this tutorial sounds outstanding - im particularly impressed with the way you will gear it towards the beginner pixel pusher. Iv been using Photoshop since CS3 (CS5 has been announced!), but from what you say, im hoping to learn some stuff also! Did you say Wednesday?Go on - do another Maiden one! ;)

Hi DominicHaving a little bit of time on my hands, I thought I would have a go at one of the other repaint requests, so as the colours are similar I had a go at the Singapore scheme, so if you want to take her for a spin here is the download link for the files..http://www.filefront.com/15378503/Sing_NC_01.zipThe same applies, any changes you want doing, just let me know.Jim HodkinsonDanGood news regarding the permissions, I know how they can sometimes drag a project out.

Dan, this tutorial sounds outstanding - im particularly impressed with the way you will gear it towards the beginner pixel pusher. Iv been using Photoshop since CS3 (CS5 has been announced!), but from what you say, im hoping to learn some stuff also! Did you say Wednesday?
Heya Adrian,Thanks, again, I hope it's worth the built up anticipation. I still haven't done a final proof read of it since the last two major amendments. I have been waiting since if I don't get the ok for the mentioned 2 pictures above I will have to rewrite quite a few lines here and there, and even remove one bonus set of steps that I rather not have to remove. So I am giving it until Wednesday to hear back from them, and then if I need to once again alter it will need a day or two to do so. Then a full proof read (another) and will hopefully have it posted Thursday night. I'm hoping to get it posted as soon as possible, because I am in the middle of a move and my schedule next week and the week after is more than full.
Go on - do another Maiden one! ;)
I was hoping you would actually :( I will at some point after the move and email it to you (Not sure there are enough of us Maiden fans to make it worthy of an Avsim upload though). I'll let you know if and when I'm able to. Just out of curiosity, MD-11 or 747? I think I might do a MD-11 version, so you can do a 744 and we can swop! :(

Dan Prunier