Sign in to follow this  

After installing Nvidia driver 195.62 for my GTS 250, I was setting up Nhancer per NickN's guide, and a question came up: Should CPU Multi Core Support (under compatablity) be enabled for a dual core processor? The guide says to set it to single core for XP, but doesn't FSX SP2 utilize the second core to some extent?I've tried it both ways and don't really see a difference in frame rates, but there are so many variables (aircraft, scenery, slider settings, Etc), that I'm not sure which is better. Any thoughts from those of you using Win XP?Dale

Dale

i am set to single, useing xp sp3. it would be interesting to see if there is a difference. will try later tonight.

i am set to single, useing xp sp3. it would be interesting to see if there is a difference. will try later tonight.
Multicore support is for the DRIVERS and not the GAME. Setting this to ON for Windows XP will not in any way make a difference in FSX........................just like Nick explains

Multicore support is for the DRIVERS and not the GAME. Setting this to ON for Windows XP will not in any way make a difference in FSX........................just like Nick explains
Ok, but in Nhancer, it states that "Nvidia started to utilize multi core support starting with 8.ox drivers". Of course, this may only apply to Vista/dx10?Dale

Dale

Ok, but in Nhancer, it states that "Nvidia started to utilize multi core support starting with 8.ox drivers". Of course, this may only apply to Vista/dx10?Dale
Turn it on and see what happens.

Yes it does Dale and it actually applies to any OS. However, mutil core rendering does not work well in XP and it is known to cause problems. It works well in Vista and Windows 7. Keep in mind that XP handles multi core support much differently than Vista or Windows 7. That is why the recommendation is to keep it set to single core for XP.

Yes it does Dale and it actually applies to any OS. However, mutil core rendering does not work well in XP and it is known to cause problems. It works well in Vista and Windows 7. Keep in mind that XP handles multi core support much differently than Vista or Windows 7. That is why the recommendation is to keep it set to single core for XP.
Thankyou for the explanation, and my trial flights seem to verify it.Yesterday, I took a short flight with multi core option checked in Nhancer, and it seemed to work ok. This morning, I took a longer flight with a more complex aircraft (DA Cheyenne) and found that the fps was normal, but the anti aliasing effect was much worse (Combined 8x in Nhancer, off in FSX)In none of my experiments, did I see an improvement using multi core, so I guess I will switch it back to single core mode.Dale

Dale