Sign in to follow this  
vl1

FS keeps adding description line to aircraft.cfg

The bloody sim keeps adding the same line for AI traffic aircraft.cfg files. But only for SOME entries, like 5 to 8 last ones. He adds this:description=From the most successful family of jetliners ever built comes the 737-400. This can be your entry into virtual airline flying. Whether you're making short-haul or longer domestic flights, the 737-400 is a versatile and efficient airplane. See the Aircraft Information section of Help for tips on flying this aircraft.I delete them, then when the sim restarts he puts them again. This happens to some ai aircraft, but not all. Like only B738, B738W, B717 and my fiftynorth 733 and 734.How do i make him STOP???Thanx!!

The bloody sim keeps adding the same line for AI traffic aircraft.cfg files. But only for SOME entries, like 5 to 8 last ones. He adds this:description=From the most successful family of jetliners ever built comes the 737-400. This can be your entry into virtual airline flying. Whether you're making short-haul or longer domestic flights, the 737-400 is a versatile and efficient airplane. See the Aircraft Information section of Help for tips on flying this aircraft.I delete them, then when the sim restarts he puts them again. This happens to some ai aircraft, but not only. Like only B738, B738W, B717 and my fiftynorth 733 and 734.How do i make him STOP???Thanx!!
It would help to know what Operating System you are using as it may be a "permissions" issue. Also, is FS2004 closed down when you are making your deletions or do you still have it up and running?

It would help to know what Operating System you are using as it may be a "permissions" issue. Also, is FS2004 closed down when you are making your deletions or do you still have it up and running?
thanx for a fast follow-up!it's Win7, i didn't set any special permissions, and the sim is down. maybe it's a good idea to make all aircraft.cfg read only????

tried making the aircraft.cfg file read-only - same thing. he adds the line!

tried making the aircraft.cfg file read-only - same thing. he adds the line!
Try Right clicking the FSX folder and setting FULL permissions on it and all subfolders. See if that possibly allows your edits to "stick".I do not run Win 7 but have read that everyfolder related to FSX (or FS2004) should be granted full permission so the sim can "do it's thing".Some folks turn off UAC (User Account Control) to apparently accomplish the same thing but I understand this is not universally recommended.Perhaps someone who runs Win 7 can step in and offer their experience.Keep us posted.

here is what i got from another post on this forum and what i judt did and it helped:download aired and remove line2 from airfiles of the aircraft that add this description. because it seems to be the air file to rewrite the aircraft.cfg file. that is what i did and that is waht helped.another issue for right now, AArdvark 737-800Winglets and fifty north 737-300 constantly add performance line at the end of the aircraft.cfg file despite that this line is already present at the beginning.any idea what to do with that?i could you use the aired to remove line3 for air file whick as i see has this stupid preformance line, but i dont really know if it is safe.thanx

here is what i got from another post on this forum and what i judt did and it helped:download aired and remove line2 from airfiles of the aircraft that add this description. because it seems to be the air file to rewrite the aircraft.cfg file. that is what i did and that is waht helped.another issue for right now, AArdvark 737-800Winglets and fifty north 737-300 constantly add performance line at the end of the aircraft.cfg file despite that this line is already present at the beginning.any idea what to do with that?i could you use the aired to remove line3 for air file whick as i see has this stupid preformance line, but i dont really know if it is safe.thanx
Well that is indeed a new one - for me at least. To check the second issue, I would simply make a copy of the .air file in question (move it out to your desktop as a backup) and then try the edit and see if it works OK. If not, you can then restore the original .air file.Keep us posted please.

Are you using or did you ever install an add-on AI or ATC application especially an on line or traffic generating application? Have you ever installed an aircraft inventory management utility?I'm just wondering if something was added especially in your modules folder.

Just as a little "follow up". I made a number of tests today and confirmed what the OP has said about the .air file automatically adding a "description" under each [fltsim.X] section if one does not exist (or has been deleted) in the aircraft.cfg files.That was something I was not aware of. No big deal for me as I do not mind having a description of one kind or another on the aircraft selection menu. But I can see how it would be confusing if I knew I had deleted it and found later that it had been mysteriously restored.Actually what gets put back is whatever is detailed on line 2 of the .air file. The free utility called AirEd can be used to open and edit any .air file. Just goes to show that one can learn something new about FS2004 almost every day. :(

Just goes to show that one can learn something new about FS2004 almost every day.
Oh YES INDEED!!!

Guest napamule

If the left bracket is left out of MOST (not all) cfg section, the air file will write that section in if it's 'covered' in air file. Lots of times the cfg will have errors like this. Like I keep saying, the first thing I do after an install is to look in the aircraft cfg for just this type of errors. Or duplicate sections (happens). If you somehow leave out the fuel section from cfg, for example, the air will write it in. But, since the air file might have be 'borrrowed' from a different model (that happens too) you could have only 1/2 the fuel, or 4 times the fuel. Or no smoke. Or wrong engine positions. Or flaps with all values=0.000 (not good).The description and performance is not important for a/c to function. It's just specs, and info. If you have it in cfg and remove section in air file it will stay there. Remove from both and it will be gone forever. And if you're thinking of leaving out a bunch of cfg sections to see what the air file writes-DON'T do it (you won't like the results). At least back up the cfg first, then try it. I have never had any satisfactory results by doing this. Some things have to be put into the cfg manually or the a/c just won't 'fly'. Such as Weight & Balance, MOI's, contact points, engine positions, aircraft geometry, fuel and position of tanks, views, lights and flaps.Chuck BNapamule

gosh, dude, i was just talking about the bloody desciption line! Why for christ sake i woud remove contact points, fuel and lights????

Guest belga1

Hello,Credit for Napamule (he not underestimate)

gosh, dude, i was just talking about the bloody desciption line! Why for christ sake i woud remove contact points, fuel and lights????
Cause this:A common mistake that people make when trying to make something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools... sm15.gifRegards.bye.gifGus.