Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheCanarian

The ntcore patch

Guest TheCanarian

Hi,I've applied the ntcore patch as suggested in the PMDG documentation for the MD-11, but I'm a little confused with the next reccomendations in the documentation.

Next, you should right click on MY COMPUTER and selectedProperties/Advanced/Settings/Edit.Find the line that reads:multi(O)disk(O)rdisk(O)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XPProfessional 3GB" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptInAdd the following line immediately following:/3GBReboot the machine.
Obviously the above relates to XP but where, if any, does the necessary tweak to the configuration go in Windows 7, does anyone know ?

Hi ?I would have thought that Vista and Win 7 would not need the patch as they are already large address aware Operating Systems regarding the amount of RAM that they recognise, whereas XP did need it.Jim Hodkinson

Guest TheCanarian

Thanks for the response, but my understanding was that FSX needed to be aware it could use more RAM, and that it had a built in limit of 2Mb, hence the patch. If I don't need it with Windows 7 then I can always roll back the patch.

The patch is for 32 bit operating systems in general... it is totally meaningless for a 64 bit OS...FSX SP2 is large address aware, the executable has been patched accordingly...Andrew

Guest TheCanarian
The patch is for 32 bit operating systems in general... it is totally meaningless for a 64 bit OS...FSX SP2 is large address aware, the executable has been patched accordingly...Andrew
Thanks for the clarification.I wonder if Precision Manuals will update their installation advice and be more specific with when and how to use this patch that they advise is used.

The problem is that such tweaks to the operating system can be done, as well as to the executable, but they can cause major system instability.Here is my boot.ini:[boot loader]timeout=20default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3Gb switch enabled" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /userva=2560multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Original" /noexecute=optin /fastdetectThe first entry is the default, ie the version which loads if you do nothing until the time out of 20 seconds. However, the second entry is the original entry, which would allow me to start Windows normally, should I have an instability problem arise with the 3GB switched load...Always provide yourself with a stable config as back up... one of the first rules in IT, along with the never touch a running system one...When you say ntcore patch, I assume you mean you have edited the FS9 header to be able to access over 2Gb of RAM...Again, I assume you are running FS9 on Win7. Which OS version 32bit or 64bit?Andrew