Sign in to follow this  
corkyo4

Freeware scenery not displaying correctly

Hi all,I have actually asked this question before but unfortunately nobody responded with a possible solution. So im trying again, this time i have included a picture.Anyway the image attached says it all, the background to the trees is black rather than invisible and it obviously spoils the look of the scenery package.So i thought i would delete the tree related scenery files, this basically just left a complete black box as opposed to a black box and tree. So that didnt cure the problem.Then i thought, ok ill just edit the scenery files to remove the links to the tree textures, but having looked into this i firstly dont have the right software and i havent a clue what to do/edit.The only other thing i thought of was editing the texture/image files, but they wont open and the software i need to use to open them, im pretty sure i wont know how to use, so thats a none starter too.Any suggestions?? is anyone prepared to have a bash at editing the offending files out of the scenery for me??I dont mind not having the additional trees there, but obviously it would be nice if they were in.One other thing, this may be a windows 7 related issue as im pretty convinced that this never happened when i had vista (i uninstalled this scenery off my machine a while back due to poor performance but have since improved my machine hence the reload)ThanksTom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Hi all,I have actually asked this question before but unfortunately nobody responded with a possible solution. So im trying again, this time i have included a picture.Anyway the image attached says it all, the background to the trees is black rather than invisible and it obviously spoils the look of the scenery package.So i thought i would delete the tree related scenery files, this basically just left a complete black box as opposed to a black box and tree. So that didnt cure the problem.Then i thought, ok ill just edit the scenery files to remove the links to the tree textures, but having looked into this i firstly dont have the right software and i havent a clue what to do/edit.The only other thing i thought of was editing the texture/image files, but they wont open and the software i need to use to open them, im pretty sure i wont know how to use, so thats a none starter too.Any suggestions?? is anyone prepared to have a bash at editing the offending files out of the scenery for me??I dont mind not having the additional trees there, but obviously it would be nice if they were in.One other thing, this may be a windows 7 related issue as im pretty convinced that this never happened when i had vista (i uninstalled this scenery off my machine a while back due to poor performance but have since improved my machine hence the reload)ThanksTom
At first glance since the picture is at night, it looks like it is an old scenery package for FS2004. You will have to either put up with it or look for scenery made for FSX. The issue deals with the changes in FSX with the color used for transparent backgrounds. Hope this clears it up and I have the same problem with scenery for the Channel Islands of Gernsey and Jersey. However I just put up with it until newer scenery is available.Norm

As Norm pointed out, this is normal for scenery designed for FS9 that has any transparencies in the textures since FSX handles this differently. As for solutions, either contact the original author to see if they would be willing to do an update, find another version made specifically for FSX or delete it. There might be a separate BGL for the trees only which developers sometimes do, if so you can just delete that BGL and the rest of the scenery will still work, if not, time to move on.FYI, the FSX SDK allows for more options in the modeling process than FS9 did, specualr maps, normal maps (bumpmapping) etc and any texture with transparencies has to be enabled before compiling unlike FS9 which was pretty much automatic.

Best, Michael

KDFW