Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vincent

I think I found my sweet spot for FSX!

Guest Vincent

Hey all,So after all the tweaking and what not I think I found my sweet spotI have the TBM to 110TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1600And Bufferpools to 150000000I set the FS FPS to unlimited and external FPS to 20. The reason is that I found if I set it to 30, I can get better frame in the air but when I land there are stutters sometimes. It seems like it's the FPS fluctuation that causes it. If I lowered it to 20 I seems to be able to minimize the fluctuation and give me a pretty balanced flight experience.I found my rig takes the heaviest toll from default RJTT to Tokoyo tower with the planes I have (I don't have heavies on FSX yet). I tested the same flight over and over again with A2A J3, Default Baron steam & G1000.I have tested @ FSDT JFK with same setting and it seems to be even smoother.Anyway, the attachment is what I have in my settingPS I forgot to mention I have REX2, GEX, and UT USA as well as ASA running

I set the FS FPS to unlimited and external FPS to 20.
Forgive me if I seem ignorant, Vincent, but what do you mean by "external FPS"? Where do you set that?Thanks,

Guest Vincent
Forgive me if I seem ignorant, Vincent, but what do you mean by "external FPS"? Where do you set that?Thanks,
It's a software called FPS Limiter. Do a google search should come up something :)
Why not turn autogen down rather than using the following? What values where the defaults?TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1600Check out Nick's tuning guide here --> http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041
I did already, some works some doesn't. I've spent the whole week trying to tweak the fsx.cfg. From jobscheduler to tbm to bufferpools, and different nhancer settings. I found that with those setting I can get a pretty good balance between performance and eyes-candy

TBM does nothing when you have fps ingame set to unlimited, so in your case that's a rather useless tweak. But since it does nothing, it also doesn't hurt. Then again, you might have spend some time getting the 'right' number... you could have saved yourself the time!And with your setup and this Autogen density, you indeed shouldn't need the autogen tweak. But then again, if all runs fine and you are happy with it, by all means, do not touch another slider of cfg and enjoy flying!!! :( BTW Your settings screens missed one of the most important: AI! That one makes a world of difference. I am curious what you got there.P.S. I wonder why none of those guides mention the link between TMB and (unlimited) fps: might save a LOT of people a lot of tweaking-time.

Hey all,So after all the tweaking and what not I think I found my sweet spotI have the TBM to 110TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1600And Bufferpools to 150000000I set the FS FPS to unlimited and external FPS to 20. The reason is that I found if I set it to 30, I can get better frame in the air but when I land there are stutters sometimes. It seems like it's the FPS fluctuation that causes it. If I lowered it to 20 I seems to be able to minimize the fluctuation and give me a pretty balanced flight experience.I found my rig takes the heaviest toll from default RJTT to Tokoyo tower with the planes I have (I don't have heavies on FSX yet). I tested the same flight over and over again with A2A J3, Default Baron steam & G1000.I have tested @ FSDT JFK with same setting and it seems to be even smoother.Anyway, the attachment is what I have in my settingPS I forgot to mention I have REX2, GEX, and UT USA as well as ASA running
I agree with the bufferpools trick - that did make a difference to my set up. Heres a test - grab the Manhattan X scenery from Aerosoft and see how your machine fares!Also try FSDreamteam KORD and the Chicago Scenery. Although i fly out of Heathrow, that is my benchmark scenery.Im interested in the 'external' frame limiter, tho... With your FSX FPS set to Unlimited, how much of a difference did that make?

Is the unlimited setting just an "off" switch or is there a difference if I have FPS set to 20 or 30 for example and the effect of TBM?
Im having trouble finding the external frame limiter. Would someone mind posting a link to it?

Im having trouble finding the external frame limiter. Would someone mind posting a link to it?
Maybe here: http://ineedfile.com/fps-limiter-0-2-windows-7

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

That is the one I use. You need to have Java installed to run it
To be more exact: you need to have Java installed to run the optional GUI that helps you set the options. The limiter itself doesn't need Java. Some time ago I wanted to give the limiter another try, but I didn't feel like installing Java on my brand new system, so I simply edited the .bat-file manually (it's pretty easy and straightforward) and after that I simply ran it. No Java needed.

This looks pretty good - thanks for the links!One more thing - how much of a difference have you noticed when using it?

This looks pretty good - thanks for the links!One more thing - how much of a difference have you noticed when using it?
Adrian, it would be helpful to understand what FPS Limiter.exe seems to do. My belief is this: by limiting FPS AFTER FSX does its thing (versus limiting FPS within FSX's display settings), you will firstly be able to run FSX in UNLIMITED mode within the sim, without incurring some issues that can develop in UNLIMITED mode. There are (presumed theoretically, experienced empirically) optimizations/prioritizations that are employed (automatically) in UNLIMITED mode that are not available when you limit frames WITHIN the sim. The downside of this, is that there can be more variability when you are flying/taxiing thru very low demand situations (when the sim has no problem cranking out 100+ fps) and high demand situations (when the sim may only run at 28 on your machine in complex areas), resulting in what I have described as "surges" or jerkiness, or a kind of slip and slide behavior in the video, not to be confused with microstutters, tho they could be confused. FPS Limiter attenutates this variability, and the net result is a smoother sim, taking advantage of optimizations present in FSX's UNLIMITED mode. I usually run FPS Limiter at 30 frames/second, on occasion as low as 25 as this attentuates the occasional jerkiness that ground traffic can show on my system. Dialing back to 25 fps in FPS Limiter (F11 lowers the fps lock, and f12 increases, on the fly).There are situations where running without FPS Limiter might be fine: that would be when you can run FSX in UNLIMITED mode, and don't see surges/jerkiness, etc. And there are those situations. It's really an effective utility for many folks, tho I understand not all. Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Adrian, it would be helpful to understand what FPS Limiter.exe seems to do. My belief is this: by limiting FPS AFTER FSX does its thing (versus limiting FPS within FSX's display settings), you will firstly be able to run FSX in UNLIMITED mode within the sim, without incurring some issues that can develop in UNLIMITED mode. There are (presumed theoretically, experienced empirically) optimizations/prioritizations that are employed (automatically) in UNLIMITED mode that are not available when you limit frames WITHIN the sim. The downside of this, is that there can be more variability when you are flying/taxiing thru very low demand situations (when the sim has no problem cranking out 100+ fps) and high demand situations (when the sim may only run at 28 on your machine in complex areas), resulting in what I have described as "surges" or jerkiness, or a kind of slip and slide behavior in the video, not to be confused with microstutters, tho they could be confused. FPS Limiter attenutates this variability, and the net result is a smoother sim, taking advantage of optimizations present in FSX's UNLIMITED mode. I usually run FPS Limiter at 30 frames/second, on occasion as low as 25 as this attentuates the occasional jerkiness that ground traffic can show on my system. Dialing back to 25 fps in FPS Limiter (F11 lowers the fps lock, and f12 increases, on the fly).There are situations where running without FPS Limiter might be fine: that would be when you can run FSX in UNLIMITED mode, and don't see surges/jerkiness, etc. And there are those situations. It's really an effective utility for many folks, tho I understand not all. Noel
Got it. Thanks for your help. Im gonna give this a go!:-)