Sign in to follow this  

FSCOF discussion banned at the "other site"

Guest sbinder

I'm not so sure. What Darrell is really doing is protecting the "other site". We all hope that neither site would ever be a legal target, but in this day of decreasing profit margins you never know. Even a frivolous lawsuit from Microsoft of an angry competitor (maybe EBGames decides flightsim sites played a significant role in sending buyers to companies selling FS2004 early?) could quickly mean the end of the site.-Simon

I fail to see why Microsoft would go after either of these sights, considering these forums are in Microsoft's best interest, and the screenshot's, tips, etc. can very well be from legitimate "buyers".L.Adamson

Man, I like the guys at FS.com and all, but IMO that's totally ridiculous to restrict and de-legitimatize users who have actually bought the sim. Game release dates and all the manufactured controversy surrounded them (just today I was given four separate "official" release dates on the sim from stores in Tucson) are absolutely ridiculous anyways. Is FS.com Microsoft's police force now? I mean I understand not allowing obvious pirates to post shots a month before the release, but this is just stupid - these people bought the sim legaly, Microsoft will get the same amount of $ as they would from someone who buys it next Tuesday. If a store has it on the shelves early, I say good for them for being effiecient and meeting the demand. Can you imagine a Half-Life fan site not allowing posts if stores start selling HL2 early in September??? No freaking way!Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Man, I like the guys at FS.com and all, but IMO that's totally ridiculous to restrict and de-legitimatize users who have actually bought the sim. Game release dates and all the manufactured controversy surrounded them (just today I was given four separate "official" release dates on the sim from stores in Tucson) are absolutely ridiculous anyways. Is FS.com Microsoft's police force now? I mean I understand not allowing obvious pirates to post shots a month before the release, but this is just stupid - these people bought the sim legaly, Microsoft will get the same amount of $ as they would from someone who buys it next Tuesday. If a store has it on the shelves early, I say good for them for being effiecient and meeting the demand. Can you imagine a Half-Life fan site not allowing posts if stores start selling HL2 early in September??? No freaking way!Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi Ryan,I completely agree. If Microsoft really did intend to impose a sales restriction on the product, they certainly didn't do a good job communicating this to the retailers - local shops in Vancouver have given me release dates ranging from 11th July to the beginning of November. Also, the logistics were handled in a way inconsistent with a unified release date - the product seems to have arrived way too early at various retailers, which normally would have resulted in them sending it back, if the release date was more than a few days away. Using vocabulary such as 'embargo', 'illegal', 'counterfeit' etc. is just ridiculous and blowing things completely out of proportion.Have people not learned that developers of FS products never adhere to published release dates (Melvin Rafi is the exception that proves the rule)? Why should MS be any different? OK, it's early, rather than late, but it's not on time nonetheless...Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest drobson

This thread is as interesting as the one I posted in the FlightSimNetwork forums. The information that I've received is that there are two ways to have FS2004 in one's possession.1. An illegal or pirated set of discs.Or 2. It was purchased from a reseller that has paid no attention to the embargo placed on it by Microsoft, which allows for the sale of the product on July 29, 2003, not before.We all know that there are "pirates", and "unscrupulous" merchants. How people are obtaining the software makes absolutely no difference to me. If they've obtained "pirated" copies, that is something they have to deal with themselves.If they bought it legitimately, (or so they thought), from someone who didn't abide by MS's wishes, we have no control over that. If these re-sellers choose to sell it early, that is certainly their decision.What we do have control over, is what content is posted in the forums, and we will certainly abide by MS's wishes in that regard. As a moderator in those forums, I'm only doing what is asked of me. Anything beyond that is out of my control.Darrell

>>What we do have control over, is what content is posted in the>forums, and we will certainly abide by MS's wishes in that>regard. As a moderator in those forums, I'm only doing what>is asked of me. Anything beyond that is out of my control.I'd be "quickly" negotiating with "higher powers" then! I don't think it's going to work...... as is.L.Adamson

Guest SoarPics

"This thread is as interesting as the one I posted in the FlightSimNetwork forums. The information that I've received is that there are two ways to have FS2004 in one's possession.1. An illegal or pirated set of discs.Or 2. It was purchased from a reseller that has paid no attention to the embargo placed on it by Microsoft, which allows for the sale of the product on July 29, 2003, not before.We all know that there are "pirates", and "unscrupulous" merchants. How people are obtaining the software makes absolutely no difference to me. If they've obtained "pirated" copies, that is something they have to deal with themselves.If they bought it legitimately, (or so they thought), from someone who didn't abide by MS's wishes, we have no control over that. If these re-sellers choose to sell it early, that is certainly their decision.What we do have control over, is what content is posted in the forums, and we will certainly abide by MS's wishes in that regard. As a moderator in those forums, I'm only doing what is asked of me. Anything beyond that is out of my control.Darrell"Tell us in three weeks how that smoking hole in FSN's collective foot feels. This is a matter that MS (the creator and distributor) should take up with their customers (the retailers). It makes no sense to restrict your membership because some retailers MAY have busted their contractual obligations to MS.Good luck,

What's truly sad about this is that it's NOT Half Life 2 or Doom 3 we're talking about here. It's not a new version of Windows or Office. This is a niche product that only the select truly hardcore fans are gonna be out buying in the coming days. If MS wished for this "embargo" to be imposed (and for what reason I can't POSSIBLY imagine, especially when they've let pirates run amok with the thing for a month and a half while the retail version sat in the warehouses) then why the heck are huge national retailers like Best Buy, EB, GameStop, the online stores etc selling it? Must not have been very clear... What irks me more than anything though is this insinuation that you've comitted some kind of crime by finding it at a store early. That's utter BS - if MS has a problem, take it up with the store - it's not their customers' fault they were able to buy it early.Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

No offense sir, but it really is none of your business how a member acquired FS2004. BobP :)

You know what too - I've not been able to get a SINGLE clear answer on what the "official" release date is from any store in town: here's what I've heardBest Buy - August 7thSoftware Etc - August 2ndEB - showed no release date, sold out their copies earlier today (I was too late)CompUSA - August 2ndWhich one is it????Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Hey,I had to drop buy and add my name to the list...have to say I agree with you Ryan(Tabs). I started the arguement two weeks ago and I must say that I expected the FSN forum to take the turn that it did today. I for one have never understood the concept of how a "screenshot" or "helpful tip" could possibly be wrong unless a screenshot on how to acquire a pirated version of FSACOF was posted. Any other "game" forum, you would never see similar actions.What occured today is ridiculous and you are not alone in your thoughts.

Well my FSCOF is coming tommorow from Provantage, just got the FedEx tracking number. If I do post of Flightsim about me getting it, and they say I got it illegally, I'll take a few pics of the MS Seal of Authenticity and post it on there. :-mad This is a copy of a post from drobson, a mod at Flightsim. "Johan,I'm going to take the liberty of locking this thread, based on new information that any copy of FS2004 that has been purchased has been done so without the authorization of Microsoft.Darrell" and this one..."Please, NO MORE FS2004 SCREENSHOTS or tips/tricks/problem questions until July 29, 2003. If the "legitimate" beta testers wish to post information gleaned from their "Gold" versions, that will be acceptable.While it may be true that some folks have purchased FS2004, we've been advised that these packages are 100% Guaranteed, no doubt about it, counterfeit copies. Or, there may be some unscrupulous re-sellers around who have ignored the embargo, and sold legitmate software prior to the "Official" release date. The embargo on sales of this product has not been lifted by Microsoft and cannot be legally sold until July 29. Therefore, any future posts of screenshots or tips/tricks,etc., of FS2004 will be immediately removed, no questions asked!Darrell"For one I'd like to ask who gives him to right to say if and when MS releases its products, I don't see him as the voice of MS or working for MS. But I respect Flightsims wishes, I don't post screenies on their site anyway.

Guest lwhelan

Darrell,"As a moderator in those forums, I'm only doing what is asked of me"By whom? Has Microsoft asked you officially to do something?Or is this a personal crusade?Laurie WhelanBrisbane, Australiahttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

>Well my FSCOF is coming tommorow from Provantage, just got>the FedEx tracking number. If I do post of Flightsim about me>getting it, and they say I got it illegally, I'll take a few>pics of the MS Seal of Authenticity and post it on there.>:-madHi!If we were to announce that we had just downloaded an FS2004 ISO admitting we stole it, then the mods should step in. Other than that, it is none of their friggin business since they can't sort em' out. It is MS's problem not these forums! Just ludicrous.BobP :)