Sign in to follow this  
Guest russell

FS2004 Gold crashing on startup

Guest russell

Anyone ever seen this problem, crashing a few seconds after the splash screen logo comes up, in user32.dll?Russell

Guest russell

I FOUND IT I FOUND IT I FOUND IT! Woo Hoo! :-) :-)The problem turned out to be because once upon a time, I changed the location of the My Documents folder! For some reason, this causes FS2004 to crash at startup, while it's still displaying the splash screen logo. I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling this will be true for the final retail version as well.The way I fixed it was to open regedit and change this key:HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerUser Shell FoldersPersonal...back to the default value:%USERPROFILE%My DocumentsWanna know how I found it?After installing it on several machines with different configurations, I finally discovered that it ran fine even on this machine, if I logged in as a different user. I tried renaming all of the folders under C:Documents and Settings, but that didn't help. So I just started deleting all the registry keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftware until it didn't crash. It took me about an hour to narrow it down to one particular key. All I can say is, thank god for XP's System Restore! :-)Russell