Sign in to follow this  
Guest CeG8N0

Logo Lights inop

Guest SK8TRBOI747

Hi Folks,I've searched this problem, but only found one similar post...and it, unanswered. Due diligence before posting - check! :(Issue: The logo lights on my 747-400 no longer illuminate the tail. The lights appear to 'light' on the horizontal stabilizer, but no rays-o-sun(light)shine on the tail. Any ideas on how to get my nice tail art "lit" again?Specifics:

• Vista 64 Ultimate
  • FSX Acceleration
  • DX10 used
  • PMDG 747-400 FSX
  • PMDG MD-11 FSX
  • No other add-ons
  • Logo lights do work correctly on MD-11, just not on the 747.

Any help would be appreciated...even if the answer is it's fixed in the new "-8" expansion pack coming out in a few days, as I'll be purchasing that baby right away!Cheers,

Hi Patrick, Is this a custom livery? I only know how to fix it if it were. If this is happening to default PMDG's then you might want to check your [lights] section in the aircraft .cfg.Have you made any recent edits to it in the light section? Or installed an addon the may have?Edit: Woohoo Jim, you beat me this time :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Guest SK8TRBOI747
Hi Patrick, Is this a custom livery? I only know how to fix it if it were. If this is happening to default PMDG's then you might want to check your [lights] section in the aircraft .cfg.Have you made any recent edits to it in the light section? Or installed an addon the may have?Edit: Woohoo Jim, you beat me this time :(
Hi Guys,No - not custom. Behaviour is exhibited on any of the downloaded liveries from the site- I've tried 'em all.And no - no light edits (unless accidently as I wouldn't even know where to go to do that! I just fly 'em! :()
Hi Guys,No - not custom. Behaviour is exhibited on any of the downloaded liveries from the site- I've tried 'em all.And no - no light edits (unless accidently as I wouldn't even know where to go to do that! I just fly 'em! :()
Oh, and no add-ons other than PMDG 747 FSX and MD-11 FSX.And I will try the unchecking DX10-thing...but man, I'd hate to do that as the "fix" as I get great framerates with DX10 ON - it really works for me.

Hi PatrickOut of curiosity I have just tried the 747 with DX10, and with the PMDG Lufthansa colour scheme I had no logo light operational, the other lights seemed to be fully functioning, it was just the logo lights that were affected.Now it may be just on my set up, but it is certainly worth trying on your system, just in case this is the cause of your lighting issue.Jim Hodkinson

Hi PatrickOut of curiosity I have just tried the 747 with DX10, and with the PMDG Lufthansa colour scheme I had no logo light operational, the other lights seemed to be fully functioning, it was just the logo lights that were affected.Now it may be just on my set up, but it is certainly worth trying on your system, just in case this is the cause of your lighting issue.Jim Hodkinson
Just curious here Jim, and you probably checked but did the Lufthansa PMDG_747_Externals_T.dds have the right Alpha channel?

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Guest SK8TRBOI747
Thanks Jim (and everyone!), Yes, that does seem to do the trick on the 747 (oddly, but thankfully, this problem does not exist on the MD-11). It's just that the "fix" (turning off DX10) slams my fps.Well, at least I know what is causing it...and hopefully the new external model on the upcoming -8 expansion will address the "logo light in DX10 issue"...I've got my fingers crossed!Thanks again, all.
Just curious here Jim, and you probably checked but did the Lufthansa PMDG_747_Externals_T.dds have the right Alpha channel?
Dan,Just caught your msg to Jim. Is this a file I should look at? Any other file names on the 74 that I need to look at with regard to 'settings' for this issue?Thanks

Thanks Jim (and everyone!), Yes, that does seem to do the trick on the 747 (oddly, but thankfully, this problem does not exist on the MD-11). It's just that the "fix" (turning off DX10) slams my fps.Well, at least I know what is causing it...and hopefully the new external model on the upcoming -8 expansion will address the "logo light in DX10 issue"...I've got my fingers crossed!Thanks again, all.
Patrick, do you have ground texture flashing near the airstrip and taxi ways with DX10 like a lot of us? Also don't you lose your progressive taxi line (if you use it)? Even things that replicate the progressive taxi, like "Follow Me" and addon I use that has a follow me car will not work with DX10 preview on.
Dan,Just caught your msg to Jim. Is this a file I should look at? Any other file names on the 74 that I need to look at with regard to 'settings' for this issue?Thanks
I think I spoke to soon on that one I'm afraid. If it's just not working in DX10 Preview then that is the issue. If you still didn't have logo lights then it would be the culprit but that's why I asked you first if it was a custom vs default.I don't think this would matter but theres a section in the fsx.cfg that has number of lights = 8. I think that is the max, but not sure. You could try bumping that number higher and seeing if that works. Or for tests even maybe try to comment out a light with // before the line of say, the taxi light and see if it then works.From everything you said, and the test you both did, I would guess that maybe DX10 preview has a flaw with either max number of lights or how it uses Alpha channels.

Dan Prunier

Guest SK8TRBOI747
Patrick, do you have ground texture flashing near the airstrip and taxi ways with DX10 like a lot of us? Also don't you lose your progressive taxi line (if you use it)? Even things that replicate the progressive taxi, like "Follow Me" and addon I use that has a follow me car will not work with DX10 preview on.
Ah! Yes indeed on the progressive taxi - that feature is N/A with DX10 on. Now, as to the blinky runway issue...sometimes, usually in rainy weather/wet runway but sometimes in the dry, too. I have seen it go away completetly under ceratin combinations of mesh, resolution, etc., etc. - in general it will stop the blinky-runway-thing on lower settings, but I admit to not formally testing every combination to see "where the line is" on that issue. But I have gotten it to not blink under DX10. The progressive taxi is a "no-go" no matter what.Oh, and both appear to be PMDG independent, I.e., does the same nonsense with default aircraft.
Patrick, do you have ground texture flashing near the airstrip and taxi ways with DX10 like a lot of us? Also don't you lose your progressive taxi line (if you use it)? Even things that replicate the progressive taxi, like "Follow Me" and addon I use that has a follow me car will not work with DX10 preview on.I think I spoke to soon on that one I'm afraid. If it's just not working in DX10 Preview then that is the issue. If you still didn't have logo lights then it would be the culprit but that's why I asked you first if it was a custom vs default.I don't think this would matter but theres a section in the fsx.cfg that has number of lights = 8. I think that is the max, but not sure. You could try bumping that number higher and seeing if that works. Or for tests even maybe try to comment out a light with // before the line of say, the taxi light and see if it then works.From everything you said, and the test you both did, I would guess that maybe DX10 preview has a flaw with either max number of lights or how it uses Alpha channels.
No problem, thanks for the feedback.And...you might be onto something with the "max lights =8" idea - I'll check that for sure. Thanks!

Hi DanMy apologies for the late reply, I did check the alpha layer for the Lufthansa repaint and it was correct, which is why I was coming down on the side of a DX10 issue, I should have added that bit of information, sorry about that.I did wonder if the DX10 issue might just affect vertical and horizontal surfaces only, as most issues seem to be with runways which are horizontal obviously, and buildings again a vertical surface, but I really don