Sign in to follow this  
darem

Better mesh for X-Plane?

While I do like X-Plane so far, I really think that the graphical display is sub par. Three things that I don't really like: 1) very coarse mesh (at least in Europe) with faults -check LOWS for example, you can fall through the world there.2) while lakes are quite ok, rivers seem to be, well, pretty erratic3) landclasses (or ditribution of different terrain) seems to follow hearsay, not reality.These things combined do make VFR flights look more than strange.My question: Is there any remedy, be it freeware or commercial?

Guest Setanta
While I do like X-Plane so far, I really think that the graphical display is sub par. Three things that I don't really like: 1) very coarse mesh (at least in Europe) with faults -check LOWS for example, you can fall through the world there.2) while lakes are quite ok, rivers seem to be, well, pretty erratic3) landclasses (or ditribution of different terrain) seems to follow hearsay, not reality.These things combined do make VFR flights look more than strange.My question: Is there any remedy, be it freeware or commercial?
Looks like there is something on the horizon for this with the use of the latest version of MeshTool. While the example given is going to be a commercial add-on it shows what the new MeshTool is capable of when it comes to higher resolution meshes (10m), more accurate land-class data (the default land class in X-plane is pretty inaccurate for various reasons) and better rivers and lakes. Damn it's like they were answering your question ;) Check it out here.Personally I'm hoping this means that X-Plane 10 will incorporate a lot of this stuff in a new default scenery. The main problem with the current scenery was the inaccuracy of freely available data which, despite the great efforts of the LR Development team, meant that things were never going to be wonderful. However things have changed quite a lot with projects like OpenStreetMap and the like so the next generation should be a huge step forward.Setanta

Sorry for resuscitating this but as someone planning to switch sides this raises a question mark...I really thought one of the major advantages that we get a uniform quality 30m mesh with Global Scenery... What do you men coarse? What are the mesh resolutions of the different continents versus the major addons (Fs Global, FS Genesis) in FSX??ThxAlex

What are the mesh resolutions of the different continents versus the major addons (Fs Global, FS Genesis) in FSX??
I know I am quoting myself but can any of the current Xplane users answer this? What is the mesh resolution of Xplane global scenery for each of the major world regions.Appreciate some feedback,ThanksAlex

I know I am quoting myself but can any of the current Xplane users answer this? What is the mesh resolution of Xplane global scenery for each of the major world regions.Appreciate some feedback,ThanksAlex
I think it's 30m (going by my texturers knowledge).XP 10, I believe, is going to be smaller.Goran

Yes that is what I thought so I wonder what the OP meant by the notion of 'very coarse textures' in Europe. Default FS is 76 m so 30 m is significantly nicer.By the way I have read an article about your work (sorry do not know where anymore) and I recall reading your plans of creating a Saab 2000 for Xplane. There was a decent model Saab 2000 in FS 2004 (with a horrible FDE I must add) which I reworked the to be compatible for FSX and made it somewhat a more decent flyer. Doing this I spent a good few hours tweaking this aircraft and learning about how it works. Are your plans about the Saab still on? Would it be a detailed simulation of its specialties eg. FADECs, etc? This is my all time favourite airplane and FSX (or FS9 by the way) does not have even a half decent one.all the best to you,Alex

Yes that is what I thought so I wonder what the OP meant by the notion of 'very coarse textures' in Europe. Default FS is 76 m so 30 m is significantly nicer.By the way I have read an article about your work (sorry do not know where anymore) and I recall reading your plans of creating a Saab 2000 for Xplane. There was a decent model Saab 2000 in FS 2004 (with a horrible FDE I must add) which I reworked the to be compatible for FSX and made it somewhat a more decent flyer. Doing this I spent a good few hours tweaking this aircraft and learning about how it works. Are your plans about the Saab still on? Would it be a detailed simulation of its specialties eg. FADECs, etc? This is my all time favourite airplane and FSX (or FS9 by the way) does not have even a half decent one.all the best to you,Alex
http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php?board=64.0Those are my forums.I was going to make a Saab 2000 but passed that on to someone else.http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php?topic=961.0I'll be making the 340A and B only.Goran

There isn't a lot of info about X-Plane 10's scenery but I'm hopeful.There already several utillities that import OSM features into X-Plane (streets, points of interest). Other projects use CORINE and the National Land Cover database to have accuratly placed forrest in Europe and the US. Also the SRTM data has been out for a long time so its quality has been improved.Al this new/beter/more acurate data will be used in the new scenery generation.The problem with X-Plane scenery is that a lot of it is premade in one go the resulting DSF is not editable by mere mortals. Only GIS experts can use the recently relased tools to improve a full DSF. Fs9 /FS-X scenery is build on the fly so its more flixibel when you want to add something.At least X-Plane 10 wil support draping roads on top of the scenery (in X-Plane 9 you need to do the roads for a full DSF tile and those roads neet the height info from the mesh!). If they also give us draping rivers I'm a happy camper.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg