Sign in to follow this  
Bill_KA350

Here's the "apparent" fix to fsx crashing (Win 7 x64)

Hello Edward, Humm... Well, as I had previously mentioned in my original post, before you try to copy the Vista version (Ver. 6.0.5840.16386 (155kb)) of uiautomationcore.dll, to your Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder, you must either rename it to something else, or move it to another temporary folder so that replacing it directly under the Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder won't cause conflicts. Keep in mind that there may be Windows 7 versions in C:\Windows\System32\ and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ (if your running Win7-64 Bit). That's OK, as long as the Vista version of uiautomationcore.dll is in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder. Remember that fsx.exe will look their first, and if it can't find the dll, it will then look for it in the Windows\System folders. A key point is that you DO NOT want to replace the Windows 7 version of uiautomationcore.dll file(s) that resides in the Windows\System folders, because doing so may cause problems with other programs that might use the Windows 7 version. As for your "no associated program installed" error, that's a good one. My suggestion right now is that if you do what I suggested above, and still get that error, do a screen shot, and post (attach) it here, so I can see exactly what your seeing. A last line of defense is to start up Windows in "Safe Mode", then you should be able to do your file changes. Hope this helps,Bill

Thanks for the great fix.  I know this is an old post but wow.  5 hours without a hint of a crash.

Respectfully,

Jet

Wow thank you so much!

My FSX on Windows 8 x64 seems to be running like a charm now, after so much headache... I'm glad I found this topic somehow, and foremost I'm glad I found it before trying this method all the way through (time consuming): http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=51466 (yeah that's in French...)

Anyhow, this problem seems to be related to the lack of .agn files described in the above link which forces FSX to go searching for those files non-stop and draining out the memory. After copying your .dll file, I had no more messages saying ".agn files not found" on that Procmon program. For reference, my FSX used to crash a lot when I was changing airports after having started a flight.

Once again, thx!

Hello Edward, Humm... Well, as I had previously mentioned in my original post, before you try to copy the Vista version (Ver. 6.0.5840.16386 (155kb)) of uiautomationcore.dll, to your Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder, you must either rename it to something else, or move it to another temporary folder so that replacing it directly under the Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder won't cause conflicts. Keep in mind that there may be Windows 7 versions in C:\Windows\System32\ and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ (if your running Win7-64 Bit). That's OK, as long as the Vista version of uiautomationcore.dll is in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder. Remember that fsx.exe will look their first, and if it can't find the dll, it will then look for it in the Windows\System folders. A key point is that you DO NOT want to replace the Windows 7 version of uiautomationcore.dll file(s) that resides in the Windows\System folders, because doing so may cause problems with other programs that might use the Windows 7 version. As for your "no associated program installed" error, that's a good one. My suggestion right now is that if you do what I suggested above, and still get that error, do a screen shot, and post (attach) it here, so I can see exactly what your seeing. A last line of defense is to start up Windows in "Safe Mode", then you should be able to do your file changes. Hope this helps,Bill

OK, I'm a little confused. Why do we need to rename the downloaded .dll? There is no copy of this .dll in my FSX folder and I don't intend to put it in any Windows System folder. I have a downloaded copy with it's proper name sitting in another Document folder ready to put into my FSX main folder, so I need some clarification.

If you have the proper version of the uiautomationcore.dll, then simply place it in your main FSX directory.  For the default, that would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.  Just remember it only fixes one problem.  Repeated hits on the FSX menu.  It does not fix any other FSX crash.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Got it. I obtained the .dll from the link provided by the original poster, but I was confused by his renaming instructions. The one I have is the proper version number for Vista. Thanks.

Got it. I obtained the .dll from the link provided by the original poster, but I was confused by his renaming instructions. The one I have is the proper version number for Vista. Thanks.

I'm glad the fix worked out for you. The reason for the renaming the original "uiautomationcore.dll" file (or move it to a sub folder) before you replace it, is so that you keep and retain a copy of the original file, just in case you need it. That's all.

Remember, you do not want to replace ANY version of "uiautomationcore.dll" that resides in your Windows/System folder.

You're only changing (renaming, moving, etc.) the existing "uiautomationcore.dll" file that may (or may not) reside in the FSX folder, and placing the Vista version of uiautomationcore.dll in your FSX folder, not the Windows/System folder.

Downloaded a nd renamed the uiautotioncore.dll and placed it in my main FSX folder under Program files (X86) Windows 8; Did a little test and got no CTD...So far...(Cross fingers & Toes)

Made FSX Gold change views, Loaded all the windows and Icons; Still fingers crossed, and experimenting...Will report...

Berlopez

Probably a placebo.  The uiautomationcore.dll (from Vista) only fixes FSX menu crashes.  Nothing else.  The uiautomationcore.dll is part of the Microsoft dotnet framework packages.  For FSX you need versions 1.1 thru 4.5 (or the latest).  They are not backward compatible.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

After I loaded and unfortunately let it replaced the original file I have had no crashes; Computer also updated dotnet Framework to 4.5...So far so good.

Berlopez

So I suspect you replaced the system uiautomationcore.dll with the Vista version instead of placing the Vista version in your main FSX folder?  If you did, that will cause a crash every time.  Remember, you also need versions 1.1 thru 4.5 installed and not just 4.5.  You can check in your Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework (x86)\ then the various versions folder.  You can also verify if they are properly installed by following the instructions at the following link - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I put the Vista version in the main FSX folder...But I let it overwrite, didn't know at the time I shouldn't. I just checked my my windows\Microsoft.net\Framework (X86) folder Here is an image of the folder.

Thanks Jim

Berlopez

Hi Berlopez,

Your Microsoft.net installations are the same as mine so up-to-date.  We can remove that from any issues.  In regards to the uiautomationcore.dll in your main FSX folder.... by default there is none in your main fsx folder so it shouldn't hurt anything if it overwrites another version.  I have never placed the uiautomationcore.dll in my main fsx folder as I have never had the fsx menu crashes (I have tried several times to replicate the crashes but cannot).  If it is not fixing your crashes (i.e., you are still having crashes with this dll in your folder, remove it as it could be doing more harm that good.  If you are having a ctd when clicking on the FSX menu repeatedly, then leave it there). 

Hope you continue to have no more crashes.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

So far so good, I have not had any crashes or CTD'S since I put the Vista uiautomationcore.dll

Berlopez :smile:

Now I have to start all over...My computer had a HD failure and was only returned to me today from repairs,it was under warranty; Obviously and unfortunatly everything I had put in in 31 days was deleted.

Berlopez