Sign in to follow this  
PingPong

Very Satisfied...

I recently decided to become a multi-sim user and give X-plane a "real" try, the x-plane 9 box has been sitting on my desk for about a year now.Knowing all of the needless drama that goes back and forth between the X-plane and FS camps, I wanted to see what I could get out of the sim. Overall I must say I have become very satisfied with the experience. Both sims have their limitations which have been discussed ad nauseum, but if you know what to expect going in and keep an open mind you may just be suprised.So far I've purchased the MU-2 Marquise and the BKK 117(probably the two best addons for X-plane), I've also bought a few stinkers(which I won't mention). Using a free program called fs2xplane I've pulled some of my better FS9 airports and photosceneries into the sim. I've spent about 1/100th the time tweaking the sim than I put into with MSFS and now have an experience I really look forwards to. Fluidity contributes to a realistic simulation as much as high resolution graphics(which is precisely why people still use FS-9), and X-plane has a great sense of fluidity. On the flip side, the default city scenery in X-plane is really, really, really bad(hence the imported photosceneries).The flight modelling is quite nice and probably feels more legit when I compare it to my experiences behind the yolk in real life. I have had more than a few "forgot it's a sim" moments, which is the whole reason I pursue this hobby.

Guest Callmecapt

Google "Open Scenery X" and download some freeware updates. It downloads about 500mb worth of extra eye candy.Goran

Goran, are these objects placed automatically or do I have to place them in the sim?Thanks for the info BTW.

Guest Callmecapt

It's all placed automatically. All you have to do is run it, select the x plane folder and Bob's your uncle.Goran

One thing I suggest is trying out planemaker, along with looking up some of the tutorials for PM and Blender on the org or youtube, you'd be amazed how easy it is to make aircraft for it.

Guest Callmecapt

I should point out, opensceneryX installs enhancements to CUSTOM SCENERY. It does not affect default scenery.Sorry for any misunderstanding. I originally thought it enhances ALL scenery.Goran

Guest Setanta
I should point out, opensceneryX installs enhancements to CUSTOM SCENERY. It does not affect default scenery.Sorry for any misunderstanding. I originally thought it enhances ALL scenery.Goran
Just on that point, you might want to check out X-VFR. OpenSceneryX is a library of objects used by many addons including X-VFR, which uses OpenStreetMap to place objects accurately in the world such as churches, windfarms, radio towers etc. While the objects are standard and will not necessarily match RL, the positioning of them should be pretty accurate (well, as accurate as say Wikipedia because of the way OSM works) so your local radio mast, for instance, should be in the correct place for use in VFR flying. If it's not there you can add it to OpenStreetMap yourself :) If you're into 3D modelling you can also donate objects to the OpenSceneryX project.Oh, it's free BTW :)Setanta

Great post PingPong,I've just watched a few vids of the CRJ-200 Project and I'm really thinking of giving X-Plane 9 a try aewell.

Great post PingPong,I've just watched a few vids of the CRJ-200 Project and I'm really thinking of giving X-Plane 9 a try aewell.
Go for it, the worst thing that could happen is...you might like it!

Haha!! You know it!!!..........God I'm so sick of tweaking the FSX cfg file!!! :)