Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

Can you predict performance

I did ask this question at the end of another thread but it's got buried.For those of us contemplating a move to FSX but, at present, with less than high end systems, are you able to give some idea of how the 737NGX, Dash 8 and T7 might perform?Although currently an FS9 user, I have FSX and the only payware a/craft for it, the PMDG JS4100. I have tweaked FSX and get frame rates from 13 to 19 when flying the JS41. (With default aircraft I can get 40 fps, even at add-on airports like UK2000's Birmingham Xtreme). So the Jetstream pulls the performance down. My rig is:-Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L mobo with Core2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8GHz/4GB of PC6400 DDR2 RAM/Geforce 9600GT with 512MB.I and, I suspect, some other FS9ers would be interested in how the upcoming releases might perform in comparison. Oh and I promise not to hold you to it contractually! :( Iain Smith

Performance is far too hard to predict. The JS or MD-11 perform differently depending on a users hardware setup, addons, how they configured FSX, what tweaks they have done, and what they have running in the background on said computer.Each plane will effect performance differently based on these points, so they really cannot even give a ballpark estimate, as it will most likely be wrong for SOMEONE (and that someone will complain to no end no doubt :(). There are just far too many factors to weigh in on to give any answer that has any value.I could easily tell you it will only impact your FPS by about 5-10 -- but the impact depends specifically on how you look at it -- Default scenery? Are sliders at min or max? Do you have SB4 and Active Sky Running? Do you have any Mesh textures? Do you have an anti-virus turned on affecting performance? Do you have a GTS250 or a GTX285?As said in many tweaking guides, and is a favorite amongst most developers and FSX Fans, Your Millage May Vary

Performance is far too hard to predict. The JS or MD-11 perform differently depending on a users hardware setup, addons, how they configured FSX, what tweaks they have done, and what they have running in the background on said computer.Each plane will effect performance differently based on these points, so they really cannot even give a ballpark estimate, as it will most likely be wrong for SOMEONE (and that someone will complain to no end no doubt :(). There are just far too many factors to weigh in on to give any answer that has any value.I could easily tell you it will only impact your FPS by about 5-10 -- but the impact depends specifically on how you look at it -- Default scenery? Are sliders at min or max? Do you have SB4 and Active Sky Running? Do you have any Mesh textures? Do you have an anti-virus turned on affecting performance? Do you have a GTS250 or a GTX285?As said in many tweaking guides, and is a favorite amongst most developers and FSX Fans, Your Millage May Vary
I don't think any of that matters Skylar. All I'm expecting the guys to say is that, due to new techniques (or whatever) that they have developed that in any particular situation they would anticipate that the NGX (or T7 or whatever) should perform better than the JS4100. They might even say they wouldn't be surprised to see an X% improvement. That's all! :( Iain Smith

The only thing I can say is get the best CPU you can afford. There's a very large difference between the Core 2 and i7 series in FSX. When I went from Q6600 to i7 860 a few weeks ago, the difference was shocking. J41 is much smoother for me now.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest acezboy561

Go for an i5, i7 or Q9550. Q9550's havent dropped price yet but the i7 has.

The best tips I could give you are for running the JS41, turn aircraft shadows of and run unlimited fps and set auto gen on normal.Dont look at fps, its fsx not fs9, I run almost max out for GA around Orbix AUS and lock fps at 22, if set up right fsx is smooth at 14 fps+ below that you can feel it but taxing around big airports (heathrow addon) is not so bad at around 10-12, thats with the JS41, rex2, TrackI, etc etc.The min i stoped looking at the fps FSX was perfect. fps play with your mind to much like you, you get use to seeing 40-80fps.Hope all goes well for you.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Go for an i5, i7 or Q9550. Q9550's havent dropped price yet but the i7 has.
If you're going to spend money on a CPU, don't get the old generation, the architecture differences in the i5 and i7 make it much better for FSX than the Q9550 will be.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks for your replies guys. Unfortunately as my present rig is only 6 or 7 months old an i5 or i7 is out of the question for now. My board will take a Q9550 however, so that may be a reasonable compromise for now. In the meantime I'll keep flying with FS9!Iain Smith

Get a good cooler and overclock it then, that will definitely gain you some more FPS.
Thanks Ryan, that's a useful tip.Iain Smith