Sign in to follow this  

ATC Frequencies

sometimes i am bored at work and tune in ATC freqs on my scanner. i am looking for some help finding a complete list of ATC frequencies. now before you say i could look at charts or check out the various VATSIM ARTCC sites, i will say this. i have found lists here and there and they are informative BUT they also include freqs in the 300.0000 range. in Fremont, where i work, i can hear planes on the published freqs but i won't hear approach unless i change to the 300.0000 what ever freq. i have found that some switch as well.let me give you an example:say i am listening to bay approach south east section on 135.65 (not sure if that is it i left my scanner in the truck but you'll get what i am driving at...) and i can hear UAL214 checking in from the hand-off from center. fine i will hear that but then no responce. by chance i happened to be flipping around and i founf that i had happened to program 3xx.xxx right next to it and the controller was talking over there. so if i heard app calling an aircraft i could switch one channel down (135.65) and hear the aircraft responding. i would appreciate any help in sorting out my confusion.

Guest jrewing

I suspect that the reason you hear aircraft on 135.65 and you don't hear Bay Approach is that the aircraft are fairly high and closer to your location in Fremont. Bay Approach's transmitter and antenna are on the ground, so you're too far away to receive their VHF transmissions since you are also on the ground.The reception of high frequency transmissions (3xx.xxx) is apparently better on the ground, so you're able to pick up Bay's responses on that frequency. They simultaneously transmit and receive on both the VHF and the HF frequencies, BTW.Take your scanner and hike up to Mission Peak. From there, I'll bet you'll be able to receive both the aircraft and Bay Approach on VHF.Hope that helps,John

You can use airnav.com to find freqs, but if you want something portable, get the AFD - Airport/Facilities Directory -- published by the FAA. It is a paperback that lists all the airports, etc., in a given area. Stick it in your truck with the scanner. Sporty's Pilot Shop http://www.sportys.com/shoppilot/ has them for about $4.50, I think.