Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

PMDG Livery Paint Tutorial for FSX & FS9

Thanks Jack, I have made some corrections and updated this tutorial in many ways here. Unfortunately I cannot update this one at my leisure and have to adhere to some restrictions like us all, but I will continue to update it in it's new home. This one 'can be/should be' deleted since it may cause confusion to those using newer version of PS. Or perhaps someone can add "CS3 Only" to the top?Also thanks Jim for fielding Leland's question, as I am not familiar enough with the JS41 kit even now to be of much assistance.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hi there.I have a very innoying problem! I convert the textures with dxtbmp, and when I go to flightsim and select the MD11, everything looks fine, just until I press OK in the aircraft selection screen, then the right fuselage side and left tail are one big blur. I just can´t figure this one out... I have also tried importing into an excisting livery, but the same problem occurs...anyone has a clue why this happends?Best RegardsBjarne Sorensen

Hi friends,I prepared new repaint for my PMDG JS41, but I have problem with this repaint. Look at the screens:t496481_04.jpgt496480_03.jpgt496479_02.jpgt496478_01.jpg...fuselage and whole body of aircraft is in "noise", full of "little dots" (something like 'sand') and simultaneosly glossy, lustrous(even tires :( ) - not mat...and..when I turn the Ground Power Unit on, only tail of aircraft becoming mat, and lustrous effect gone (but colors are very bright):t496482_05.jpgWhat is wrong? By the way - when I try to save DXT5 format (after flatten image "PMDG_J41_Fuselage_T_Dirty" and flip vertically), I get this error:---------------------------Too many channels to export (5) -> [OK]---------------------------..but, when I delete Alpha Channel on the CHANNELS card in Photoshop, then I can normally save the DDS.Maybe this is the reason?

Hi friends,I prepared new repaint for my PMDG JS41, but I have problem with this repaint. Look at the screens:...fuselage and whole body of aircraft is in "noise", full of "little dots" (something like 'sand') and simultaneosly glossy, lustrous(even tires :( ) - not mat...and..when I turn the Ground Power Unit on, only tail of aircraft becoming mat, and lustrous effect gone (but colors are very bright):What is wrong? By the way - when I try to save DXT5 format (after flatten image "PMDG_J41_Fuselage_T_Dirty" and flip vertically), I get this error:---------------------------Too many channels to export (5) -> [OK]---------------------------..but, when I delete Alpha Channel on the CHANNELS card in Photoshop, then I can normally save the DDS.Maybe this is the reason?
I haven't painted a J41 yet, but it does sound like you are deleting Alpha channel and this is causing it. Try saving as a .BMP then save your .BMP as DXT5 format, this should allow you to save the alpha channel with the .BMP, then it will go over with the DXT5. I don't have the exact steps here, but I can do some research to get them. Good Luck....

Excellent tutorial Dan. Thanks for taking the time to do this, I and so many others will benefit from it.I have had PS for years and have still not got the hang of layers. I have never tried doing a re-paint job yet but now I will give it a shot. All I need to do now is re-install my PMDG 747 which has been missing since a complete computer overhaul - just hope I can find my registration details.Cheers again

R0t0rh34d, thanks for reply... I tried another way - after merge all layers and flip vertically, I flatten image again - now everything is ok :biggrin:Regards,Lucas

Hello,I have 2 more problems with my paint.1st:Look at the shadow on fuselage and vertical stabilizer or on the left and right side of nacelles .. paint is 'sparkling' and 'glossy':t501189_glossyfuse-01.jpgt501190_glossyfuse-02.jpgPs. Layer with Alpha channel (in CHANNEL tab in Photoshop) is black, so I think it is properly. 2nd issue:what is the stain on the left side of fuselage?t501191_plama.jpgEdit: I think it is something wrong with Alpha channel.. earlier I forgot flip verticlly this Channel... but now, when I flip vertiacl Alpha Channel, this stain appears on vertical stabilizer :(

The questions above are unimportant. I solved my problems (I read one more time README file, and I know where I made mistake).Everything is ok now! :)

Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place for discussing MD-11 repaints. I have done several 777 and 747 repaints (PMDG) for my VA with no problems. I then decided to paint an MD-11......... For the life of me I can't figure out what went wrong. The fuselage is black and so are the wings. I have gone over each step, and I still get the same results. And it's only with the MD-11, I have spent the better part of 9 hours trying to figure out what went wrong and am at a loss.  Everything has been flattened, flipped vertically, saved as .dds DXT5 no mips. Any suggestions?

Ok fixed my problem, now I have a brightly lit tail and don't know how to fix it. Would a new alpha channel help with this?

So, it's been eight years, are the steps for FSX or P3D v4 roughly the same? I can't find anything discussing P3D configs for repaints.

The steps are pretty much the same, but in FSX, you have to flip the texture vertically, or it's not going to come out right. I think it's the same situation for P3D.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

2 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

The steps are pretty much the same, but in FSX, you have to flip the texture vertically, or it's not going to come out right. I think it's the same situation for P3D.

Can you elaborate?